Thread: Tips!!!!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Default Tips!!!!!!!!!!!

Drum Tips

Hey, I'm trying to improve my strength and stamina on the kit. I'm currently suffering from and RSI on my right wrist and I'm starting to feel it in other joints around my body. Despite this, I can still play although slightly restricted for playing certain songs. I CAN play American Idiot by Green Day, but I burn out in the middle of the song. Just hoping I could get some tips on improving my strength and stamina drumming. Thanks B-)

More Drum Tips
    Tre Sharpé

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tips!!!!!!!!!!!

I would exercise less, not more. If you have repetitive stress injury then your body is already reacting to too much use.

User Info Menu

I thought this was going to be another thread about tip jars.

(phew)
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Drum Tips

Sorry. I phrased it wrong
    Tre Sharpé

User Info Menu

I have had my hands completely fail once and my arm started to right near the elbow.. I got many tips and a few that stuck with me are eat a banana a day because low potassium will cause that, drink plenty of water and I rarely drink beer before I play anymore and if I do it is just one and is usually about 2hrs before playing.

Now that your aware of the problem you can try to limit by changing your playing style a little during a song or 2 to change the stress points.

I get really bad pain sometimes at the base of my thumb on my hi hat hand and knowing this every 3rd song or a song I know I can handle easy enough I will either hold the stick between my index and middle fingers IE: Carmine Appice, or I will play the hats with left hand although I am still learning that one.

I also try not to be so dramatic with my playing but some songs just seem to get inside me and have to come out
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Relax your grip. Play softer.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Drum Tips

Thought I would add to what everyone else has said - look into a good collagen supplement. May help with the healing of your connective tissue.

User Info Menu

Drink lots of water, don;t put too much stress on your muscles, I think working up to playing American Idiot without burning out would be a great way to help build stamina. Maybe at the end of every time you practice, play through that song once, and gradually try to get farther along through the song with burning out, until you can play the whole song.
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    I would exercise less, not more. If you have repetitive stress injury then your body is already reacting to too much use.
    ^ What he said. And if you haven't done so, please get seen to as soon as possible by a qualified medical practitioner who knows his RSI's (some do, some don't)....I'm advising you this both as a teacher as well as an ex-OHS officer myself. Even get an experienced player or teacher to check and assess your stick grip.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Are you gripping the sticks too tightly? This is something I tend to do when I attempt to play at a speed I find challenging, I'm also prone to "tensing up", instead of trying to relax my body. Doing this jars my wrists and elbows and makes my fingers sting!

Not trying to be insulting, noticed you are a site drum newbie like myself, I know this doesn't necessarily mean you are new to drumming - I am new to both so I know very little.

I mentioned my sore finger problem to my (very experienced) drummer friend
    Dave and he suggested that I try to relax my grip (and not to generally tense up when attempting something I find challenging). This has definitely helped reduce the finger sting and my wrists and elbows seem to benefit also.

As has been stated previously (sorry I should have quoted but have forgotten how) it would be a good idea to have your wrist checked by a qualified medical practitioner. Even if you have to lay up your sticks for a while its definitely better than having to do it forever. And living with long term injuries is no picnic.