Thread: Need help with snare (in dummy terms, please)

User Info Menu

Default Need help with snare (in dummy terms, please)

Okay... I hate to say it, but I really hate my drums. Don't get me wrong, I am really grateful to have drums, but these sound so bad I don't even want to play.
    When we bought my drums, I was too ignorant to realize that when it came to smaller kits, there really were a lot of choices...and that the footprint of my kit isn't too much smaller than some "regular" size kits. So we got a Pearl Rhythm Traveler...which has a huge design flaw: everything except the hats stem off the bass.

This means that the whole kit rattles every time I hit the snare, and if I hit the bass or one of the toms, the snare rattles.

So , short of buying a new kit, or getting a separate stand for the snare (still looking for a used one that isn't over-priced) I have tried to make it sound like a "real" kit by changing the head, and adjusting the snares...this is where I run into problems.

The new head sounds better off the drum than the stock one does on the drum, so that was a vast improvement. (New head is an Evans) The I tried to adjust the snares. I can either get it to sound like a marching drum, a baby rattle, or a tom. Of the three, the tom sounds best...but I would rather it sound like a tom with a little bit of the snare rattle.
    I have tugged, loosened, twisted, and turned every knob and rod and I can't make it sound anything like I know it is supposed to.

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong, and help me make it right?
    "Well-behaved women rarely make history."
    -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, 1976

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need help with snare (in dummy terms, please)

Well, honestly you could sell it and buy a "bop" kit. That would probably take up about the same amount of real estate.

The Pearl site has these shown with a separate snare stand in all the pics I saw on there. That may be your best option as it doesn't seem like you can quite get a great angle on that snare now. There are some pretty inexpensive snare stands out there...or buy used. It just needs to hold that one drum.

Also if everything's rattling, are you sure that everything is tightened down all the way around the kit as much as possible?

As far as the snare tuning, I would suggest changing out the bottom head as well, along with some better snare wires.

Hope this helps. I know stuff like this can be infuriating.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Snares rattle. They just do that. Gotta learn to love it. To reduce vibration, you could cut some small cloth/leather/rubber squares to sit between the snare basket arms and the rim of the snare drum.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

I can see where you would have a problem with stuff moving around. Everything cantilevered off the bass drum would tend to do that. At this point I would either ponder the possibility of acquiring separate stands for your snare and the bigger tom on the right, (you can find good used deals on E-Bay for cheap). If you can find a way to mount them. Or cut your losses and save your pennies for a non entry level practice kit. Once again you can find some awesome deals on used gear on the Bay. I doubt you will get much for this kit even if it sells. Sorry if this is harsh. A nice used "bopper" would have been a better choice. With a store bought "everything included" kit usually all of the materials used are second rate like the snare wires, cymbals, heads, mounting system, etc. Good luck.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

First thing I would do is put the snare on its own stand. What's your budget for a snare stand? Even a $49 Sound Percussion stand would be far better than what you have now. I just bought a used (but like new) Pearl pro-level snare stand for $35 at the local used store. They still have a bunch of good used name brand ones in that price range. I could pick one up for you, but buy the time you add the shipping, you'd be back around the $50 range.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Take the snare off the kit and in to another room. Loosen everything. Start with the throw off and make sure the snares are "Turned off." Then set the screw adjustment to halfway up and down the threaded portion. Ensure the snares are very loose at that point. If not, release the screws holding the snares rope or strap and adjust accordingly. Retighten the screws. When the snares are loose enough you should be able to fit a drum stick under them and between the rim of the snare. This will keep the snares from touching the heads while you tune.

With the drum stick still wedged between the snare wires and rim start with the snare side head, tighten the lugs to finger tight and then, in a cross pattern tighten each lug at least 4 complete turns. You want the pitch a lot higher than your highest tom. Then turn the snare drum over and do the same thing with the batter head. Once you are satisfied with the pitch, remove the drum stick and tighten up the snare wires just enough that you don't choke out the snare sound but not too loose that you have a lot of snare effect.

Your snare looks like it has 5 lugs which should make it faster to tune up but may not give you much range of acceptable pitch.

Let me know how that works for you. It might even be easier to talk you through it in which case that can be arranged. You know we are all eager for you to succeed.
    Last edited by Bish; 01-05-2014 at 08:23 PM.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear about your issues with the kit BlueSky. When I decided to learn to play the drums, I went with a beginner kit from a local music store. I went cheap in case I didn't have it in me to learn to play. Unfortunately, I learned what many new players learn, and that is that going to cheap gets you something that will ultimately discourage you - and we both ran into them. The cheaper kits sometimes have enough problems that we spend more time on the problems than we do playing the kit.

For me, I decided to upgrade to a Gretsch Catalina Maple kit, and I have been in playing heaven ever since. I do understand that you and your hubby might have some medical bills to deal with before you can consider upgrading, so I would agree that getting the snare on a separate stand would be a big step in the right direction (I have found used Tama Roadpro snare stands for $25, although you have to keep your eyes open, because those deals don't come up every day. Also, I agree that the snare side head is often overlooked when heads are upgraded. I have an Evans Hazy 300 on my snares. Finally, a certain amount of sympathetic vibration is normal, so it won't all go away, but you can try tuning the toms, or the snare differently, to see if that helps.

Hang in there BlueSky, because there are always ways to make improvements, and they don't have cost a lot if you're patient.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
    I hate to say it, but I really hate my drums.
    I'd sell the drum kit and buy a kit that I like better. Or maybe trade the drum kit for something, possibly another drum kit.

User Info Menu

One of my ex students had the older Pearl Rhythm Traveller (the one with a 20" bass drum that was only 8" deep, reminiscent of the vintage 'pancake bass drum' design of eons past) which only had the rack toms attached, a separate floor tom mounted on a cymbal stand to the right, and a separate snare on a snare stand, which made perfect sense. Looking at that new redesign you've got there, personally, I don't know what some boffin in the R&D Department at Pearl was thinking....perhaps trying too hard to come up with an equivalent of the Yamaha Hip Gig set? Lol....anyway, on a serious note, I can imagine why you're having a hard time with that. Way too many things mounted on the one drum, with the potential of too many things rattling away at once. Not a fan of having that cymbal arm coming off the bass drum either, and it's being used to allow two toms to be clamped off that, so that gives you no choice but to leave the cymbal arm where it is.

Read Bish's tips. He pretty much stated it all.

And if you're wondering what the previous Pearl Traveller design looked and sounded, here it is:

"...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I would say get rid of those drums and upgrade to a Pearl Vision or the new Export EXX which are quite affordable or any other brand that you choose.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Take the snare off the kit and in to another room. Loosen everything. Start with the throw off and make sure the snares are "Turned off." Then set the screw adjustment to halfway up and down the threaded portion. Ensure the snares are very loose at that point. If not, release the screws holding the snares rope or strap and adjust accordingly. Retighten the screws. When the snares are loose enough you should be able to fit a drum stick under them and between the rim of the snare. This will keep the snares from touching the heads while you tune.

With the drum stick still wedged between the snare wires and rim start with the snare side head, tighten the lugs to finger tight and then, in a cross pattern tighten each lug at least 4 complete turns. You want the pitch a lot higher than your highest tom. Then turn the snare drum over and do the same thing with the batter head. Once you are satisfied with the pitch, remove the drum stick and tighten up the snare wires just enough that you don't choke out the snare sound but not too loose that you have a lot of snare effect.

Your snare looks like it has 5 lugs which should make it faster to tune up but may not give you much range of acceptable pitch.

Let me know how that works for you. It might even be easier to talk you through it in which case that can be arranged. You know we are all eager for you to succeed.

+1............new, better heads would make the toms and bass sound much better also

I've read good reviews on the Pearl RT..................I wouldn't give up on it yet

User Info Menu

I've been changing heads and tuning drums for 40 years as of this month. Darn I'm getting old. Any way when it comes to drum tuning even though any one drum can be tuned to several different pitches, I've found that each drum has that one pitch where it just sings, that pitch where it wants to be.

When tuning a snare drum I always start with the bottom head first. I tighten all the tension rods hand tight , then I use the drum key tightening each one full turn at a time ( remember to work directly across the drum when tightening the rods, if you tighten 6 o'clock first do 12 o'clock next and so on.) I usually get this head fairly tight then I flip the drum over and work on the top head.

I have my snare in its stand when tuning the top head so I can play it as I'm tuning. I start out with one full turn on each rod and work from there turning a half turn at a time until I find that sweet spot.

As for the snare wires I like a good amount of buzz ( I've found myself using press rolls more so that works for me) so I start with them very loose and tighten accordingly .

Check out you tube if you're stumped, I'm sure you can find a tutorial video on tuning.
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 01-11-2014 at 07:22 AM.

User Info Menu

YouTube video's - there are a lot of drum tuning video's on YouTube - for Snare, Kick drum and Toms. Get a separate snare stand - buying "used" will be cheaper - . "If" you can afford a better kit - look at a "used" kit - CL (if you can go and see the kit in person ) and GC stores always have good used kits for sale.

Hope at least some of these suggestions help you find a suitable answer to your problem.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

stick a thin business card between the snare wires and the bottom head of your snare an inch or two from the rim. if it falls out repeatedly fold the sides down around the snare wire so it can not slide left or right, that should help.
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

User Info Menu

Thank You, all of you.

The store where I bought them has weird hours and I usually can't ever get out there, but things fell into place and I was able to take my snare and have one of them get it tuned for me. Yeah, I need some new drums.
    I actually stumbled across a used music store that I didn't know existed while searching CL for a new set. I'm hoping to get up there soon, and now I just need some help in knowing what to look for...but I think I'll create a new thread in another forum for that one.

Thanks, guys!
    "Well-behaved women rarely make history."
    -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, 1976

User Info Menu

first get a snare stand. Second your not going to get a good sound out of toms if ther eis only one side of the drum with a drum head. thrid hang in there because you will learn to live with a crappy kit, like I did.

User Info Menu

Have you tried dampening the drum heads with duct tape, t-shirt or whatever?

User Info Menu

Whatever used kit you get interested in, make sure it has both heads intact - kick drum included and if the heads are pitted or wont tune up well, be prepared to put new heads on - provided you have sufficient funds to do so. Personally, I like my snare wires "tight" - I much prefer my snare to have a nice tight crisp sound - and when I do a power rim-shot, I want to hear that .357 magnum crack, not a mushy washy sound. Each to their own on that ~!!
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

A snare stand, and another cymbal stand with a nice ride cymbal, and clamp to hold the big tom should make that a pretty cool kit! For tuning try Tunadrum.com I read it through before I started, and followed through again while I tuned---I was amazed at how good my kit sounds