Thread: DW Moon Mic

User Info Menu

Default DW Moon Mic

This popped up on Facebook. Anyone used or heard of it? I wonder how similar it is to the Subkick (I would just link to DW’s page, but there was a commercial link so I copied and pasted everything).

THE MOON MIC

The Moon Mic™ features a patented, curved housing and specially-selected diaphragm that delivers warm, accurate bass response. The revolutionary design captures the hard to retrieve resonant frequencies of any bass drum to create a complete tonal spectrum. It’s not just another bass drum microphone, it’s a Moon Mic™.

• Patented Radius Housing
    • Inverter Switch
    • Included DW Stand and Mounting Bracket
    • Perfect for Studio and Live Applications
    • Excellent for Bass Drums, Floor Toms,
    and Bass Cabinets

WHAT IS IT?

A Moon Mic is an acoustic drum resonating head (skin) Microphone! The Moon Mic will revolutionize the way you think about Mic-ing an acoustic drum. The Moon Mic microphone has a very large diaphragm that encompasses a large range of vibrations directly from the resonating head (skin).

Positioning the microphone from the center of the drum (LOWS) to the rim (HIGHS) gives you control. Punch, sustain, and decay can be controlled by the distance between skin and microphone.

The Moon Mic is designed for bass kick drums or bass instruments with high SPL (sound pressure levels). The Moon Mic specializes in low frequencies.

The Moon Mic DK27 microphone comes with a DW mounting stand, allowing the stability, durability, and versatility you've come to expect from DW.

No need for an Attenuator (Pad). Moon Mic's low impedance, 250 ohms delivers a smooth signal.

The Moon Mic will receive a custom range of frequencies coming from the kick drum without heavy EQ, compression, or any other signal processing. +48V Phantom power not required to operate.

SPECIFICATIONS:

Frequency Response 20 to 15000Hz | Sensitivity (at 1kHz, open ciruit voltage) -71dBV | Low Impedance 250 ohms | XLR Output Jack

Dynamic 8'' Diaphragm | Unidirectional | Cardioid | Inverter Switch | Customized Filter for Low-Frequency applications

High SPL (Sound Pressure Level) | Microphone Weight 3.5 lbs = 1.587 kg (not including stand)

CHROME CAP

The chrome cap has a sleek look, but also has a number of functions;

1. House the diaphragm.

2. The microphone's curved relective surface, which houses the diaphragm is designed to diffuse undesirable sound waves (noise) by sending the sound waves in different directions. This apparatus supports the Cardioid Polar Pattern. (see Figure #1)

3. Corrosive Resistant

4. Five vent holes in the cap accommodates the air movement from the diaphragm.

5. The Moon Mic’s interior back wall has a spherical shape. A spherical shape has only one dimension and thus having a very strong resonant frequency capability. The 8''dirphargm is placed at the mouth of the cavity, this works very well together. A spherical cabinet is capable of delivering an almost perfect frequency response.

INVERTER SWITCH

The function of the Inverter Switch is to accomplish absolute polarity. Polarity effects phase by inversion of 180 degrees. This is not a phase shift but, a mirror of positive and negative thus, a high or low air pressure in time. The polarity inverter switch setting is very important to produce the highest sound pressure at the subwoofer. Example: positive pressure in = positive pressure out.
    Basically, this comes in handy when using a dual mic setup on your bass drum; for example, pairing the Moon Mic with an internal May Mic, or External smaller diaphragm mic to capture additional mid and high frequencies of the beater hitting the head. If the sum of the two sounds is not sounding right, try flipping the switch.

8" DIAPHRAGM

With an 8-inch diaphragm, Dynamic moving coil and a custom passive filter, the DK-27 microphone has an excellent signal to noise ratio. The Moon Mic absorbs resonating true frequencies directly off the front head. The large diaphragm recovers sub low frequencies with amazing tone clarity and "Attack". The "Attack" and punch can be controlled by the size of the port hole sampling.

Sustain can be controlled by:
    A) Placement of mic closer to the rim
    B) Distance, volume, and EQ relationship
    C) Gate
    D) Basic setup of the drum itself and muffling the head
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW Moon Mic

That is an unusual microphone. I'm interested in hearing comparison tests.

User Info Menu

I was looking at this the other day. Seems pretty interesting. But after seeing the price, I may still prefer the May Micing system over this one. Pretty cool though.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Looks like a type of bass kick mic where you wire a 6-8" subwoofer in reverse allowing the Cone to actually become the mic head and running it through a preamp to get line level. My Brother and I have built these easily with old subs and they sound great. I can't imagine that would perform any better than anything else out there as once you hit in this low omni directional frequencies our ears can not discern subtleties of sound.

User Info Menu

sure is purdy

User Info Menu

its like a fancy kicksub, yamaha did this ten years ago

are we really thinking this a new concept ? its a pig in a dress imho

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    its like a fancy kicksub, yamaha did this ten years ago

are we really thinking this a new concept ? its a pig in a dress imho
    I was thinking the same thing itchie. With the patent protection you cannot duplicate for 7 years. Now you will see just about every Manufacturer coming out with their own versions. Competition for Yamaha and prices will come down.

User Info Menu

is it just me ?

DW is looking more like designated designs for show offs so they can put things in there "entertainment room" to look good next to there cream leather couch and their new 80" TV . Since when did we worry so much about aesthetics and what the Joneses had over functionality

sorry im so often offending people

User Info Menu

^ Nah, speak your mind Itchie re: this. Got to agree with you for sure.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I thought it was kinda ugly, looks like a hubcap off a toyota tercel.

User Info Menu

Well, I understand why it looks like it does. Instead of a sub kick speaker they are using a drum head as the diaphragm to create the sub kick mic instead of the driver cone. Probably like one of the above comments said it may be a copy right issue with Yamaha sub kick mic therefore they had to be sufficiently different enough to not infringe. With that being said I think it is an odd market to get into.

User Info Menu

sub kicks have always been pritty niche

i tried one for a while ..found i could get a better sound with a internal and external kick mic