Thread: Level 360 - Evans

User Info Menu

Default Level 360 - Evans

What's the difference between Evans 360's and G1's?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Level 360

360 isn't a type of head.

You can have a Level 360 G1, or a Level 360 EC2

It's the new design for the collar that helps the head lay flatter to help tuning be easier.
    This video really puts it in perspective:
    http://youtu.be/Mw2cQuqWj1w
    -Steven

User Info Menu

That is possibly the simplest, most informative video I've ever seen.

Makes me wonder about switching from Coated Emperors to Coated G2's. I see the difference, but what benefit does Evans claim it brings, easier/more consistent tuning?
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    That is possibly the simplest, most informative video I've ever seen.

Makes me wonder about switching from Coated Emperors to Coated G2's. I see the difference, but what benefit does Evans claim it brings, easier/more consistent tuning?
    I went from coated ambassadors to 360 ec2s. Yeah I went from an unmuffled to a premuffked head, but the ec2s tuned up so quick and easy. They are great.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

^^^

The Level 360 is basically just an innovation by Evans, instead of the collar touching the head when tuning, they increased the diameter of the head so that all of the actual drum head touches the bearing edge, which is supposed to make it tune easier. I have Level 360 hydraulics on my toms, and a Genera HD Dry on my snare and they were very easy to tune
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    I went from coated ambassadors to 360 ec2s. Yeah I went from an unmuffled to a premuffked head, but the ec2s tuned up so quick and easy. They are great.
    I have had EC2's on my kits and liked them, but in the end I liked the overall tone of the Coated Emperors more. They weren't the 360 EC2's, so maybe that would be different.

I used to like the premuffled sound, but over the last year or so I'm finding I like the slightly more open sound and less stick definition. Interesting how our tastes change over time.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by imperialstar15 View Post
    ^^^

The Level 360 is basically just an innovation by Evans, instead of the collar touching the head when tuning, they increased the diameter of the head so that all of the actual drum head touches the bearing edge, which is supposed to make it tune easier. I have Level 360 hydraulics on my toms, and a Genera HD Dry on my snare and they were very easy to tune
    This is especially helpful on the older drums that are not as perfectly in round. Also, many newer drums have a single 45 bevel on the inside and the bearing edge sits toward the outside edge of the shell. Putting another shorter 45 bevel on the outside edge and thus moving the bearing edge inward by a few plies has the same effect on tuning ease. It allows the head to sit more flat and even on the edge.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: Level 360 - Evans

The g1 is a reso head. At Least the coated g1 is

User Info Menu

I'm currently using the coated G1 level 360's as snare batter heads on two of my maple snares. Coating seem to last longer than Remo's.
    Love 'em.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NickiHerod View Post
    Ummm, G1 can be batter or resonant. It is a pretty popular Resonant head, but many many people will play them as Batter as well.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I'm using G1's as batter heads over Diplomats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I'm using G1's as batter heads over Diplomats.
    And Luds sound good

User Info Menu

Never mind Evans-go with Aquarian!!
    Yamaha Stage Custom 6 pc
    Assorted Zildjian
    Gibraltar hardware
    Zildjian laminate sticks
    LOTS of snares
    AQUARIAN heads

User Info Menu

I have been using the level 360 extra dry on my DW Super Solid snare and it sounds great. Even really cranked up tight, it has virtually no ring. And it is holding up really well to my hard hitting. I rate this as a very good head.
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

With my Gretsch USA, all heads tune up great! So I'm inclined to say more marketing mumbo jumbo.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NickiHerod View Post
    G1s are not specifically reso heads.

User Info Menu

But once you put on the rim and start to tighten it down, doesn't the "fit" become moot? Doesn't the head touch the rim all the way around after a couple of cranks? By the time you get anywhere near where we tune our heads normally there is 100% contact, right?

I guess I don't see the big deal.
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

guy in my shop told me Evans had been doing it for ages but didn't advertise it.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

I use coated G1's for batters on my Beech kit and it sounds great. and they are just the old Evans and not the 360.. Not that it makes any difference IMO.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    guy in my shop told me Evans had been doing it for ages but didn't advertise it.
    From what I found, they have been doing it since Sept 2012...

Since I found that on the internet, it HAS to be true!!
    Gretsch Renown RN1 ~ Silver Oyster Pearl

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tamashane View Post
    I have been using the level 360 extra dry on my DW Super Solid snare and it sounds great. Even really cranked up tight, it has virtually no ring. And it is holding up really well to my hard hitting. I rate this as a very good head.
    Similiarly I have a level 360 coated hydraulic on my (Ludwig) snare. Cranked tight this snare has awesome projection and punch!