Thread: Creating demo CD, best options?

User Info Menu

Default Creating demo CD, best options?

New band I am starting up with was talking about creating a CD to pass around for future gigs. We are kind of split on the best way to do it. Me and and the keyboardist think that creating a CD with about 10x 15 second clips of songs is the best option while others think just putting 4 or 5 full songs on it is the best way to go.

I am thinking it's like a resume and you pretty much want it short and straight to the point. I doubt bar owners or entertainment directors are going to listen to a whole CD to decide if your in or out. I imagine they make up their minds in the 1st 20-30 seconds. Maybe I am wrong though,

whats your thoughts? Have you ever made a demo CD to hand out? Did you use a pro studio or record it yourself with some decent equipment?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Creating demo CD, best options?

Done it both ways but always used a pro studio.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I prefer 4 or 5 full songs.

I doubt that bookers listen to it anyway. Bar bookers are unfigureoutable and may be incompetent, drunk, or both. Promoters listen but that's festivals and events. Different kind of gig.

User Info Menu

For Booking: We don't do CD's. We buy smaller Flash drives for the contact person to keep and we put ALL our information on the drive with a promo package. This includes Mp3's, Videos, Pics, Schedule, Agency references etc etc..

If they decide to not book the band - they still get a free gift in the flash drive.

FWIW....EVERYTHING on our Demo is LIVE. Club owners are smart enough to know that most anyone can make a decent recording in there living room these days. We have both, full songs and a 5 minute mix of song clips.

For Fans: Most people are smart enough and have the capability to download your stuff/material on a computer. Save the expense of the CD production and use the money for a web page. There also so many places where you can share your music for free. Link to it.
    Last edited by EddieV; 01-12-2014 at 11:22 AM.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

It becomes your portfolio. It should be done as professionally and high-tech as your budget allows. If you don't have a budget, raise the money and do it right. Spectator clips, sound-bites and snippets (IMO), aren't the way to go. You can always get a local high school or college film student who will do it for credit, or fun. And, as stated above, CD's are last century. Get cheap jump drives and record on to those.
    Steve
    "When I can match Buddy Rich, lick for lick, I will get a rack."
    Ludwig Super Classic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighDrummer View Post
    It becomes your portfolio. It should be done as professionally and high-tech as your budget allows.
    I agree. Some bands spends thousands on high-tech videos to give them that competitive edge. You really need to put your best out there as you're up against a lot of competition.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    For Booking: We don't do CD's. We buy smaller Flash drives for the contact person to keep
    One thought Eddie.

If it were a CD, they might be more likely to play it thru a sound system. I always cringe when I hear music played thru crappy computer speakers.

I suppose if it's their job to book the bands, they may listen thru an appropriate device.

And, yeah. With today's technology, any demo like this should be done at home, for free.
    Last edited by NewTricks; 01-14-2014 at 05:36 PM.

User Info Menu

If I were super-serious about getting gigs with a rock band, I'd shoot some video of us playing live and I'd learn how to use some editing software. I'd e-mail links to potential venues and see what happens.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post

I just didn't watch :29-:31 four times in row.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    If I were super-serious about getting gigs with a rock band, I'd shoot some video of us playing live and I'd learn how to use some editing software. I'd e-mail links to potential venues and see what happens.
    Probably nothing.

I've mentioned this before, and I only reiterate it again because I think it's important to this conversation. My group has been averaging 250 dates a year for the last 5 years. We are actively booking the band, sourcing new gigs, promoting, etc. I work with marketing managers, agencies, club owners and managers who have become my business friends and colleagues over the years. I've asked them about what works and how they find bands.

Club owners that have live music can be inundated with people trying to book their bands. One venue I work regularly tells us that that they get at least one or two band promos each day. That's over 700 promo packs a year for a total of 160 openings a year. Most go unnoticed unless two things happen.

1. There is prior communication beforehand. A LIVE phone call or a VISIT. Sending something in the mail or in an email most likely gets clicked & trashed, and the snail mail promo gets lost in a pile.

2. Follow Up after the presentation/promo drop. After the follow up - you may have to check in regularly - but be careful not to harass. Don't call once a day - stop in for a beer once a week, support the venue now and then. Make yourself visible and be professional. We regularly stop in on our way to a gig, say hello and drop off our schedule to venues we are sourcing. They can see that we are working and have very few openings (if any). It's Sales & Marketing 101.

3. This is a business....not MTV. If you try and act like Tommy Lee when booking your band, your probably not going to get very far.

Another thing. Getting the gig is the first step. KEEPING the gig is a completely different chapter and thread.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

User Info Menu

Probably nothing.

I've mentioned this before, and I only reiterate it again because I think it's important to this conversation. My group has been averaging 250 dates a year for the last 5 years. We are actively booking the band, sourcing new gigs, promoting, etc. I work with marketing managers, agencies, club owners and managers who have become my business friends and colleagues over the years. I've asked them about what works and how they find bands.

Club owners that have live music can be inundated with people trying to book their bands. One venue I work regularly tells us that that they get at least one or two band promos each day. That's over 700 promo packs a year for a total of 160 openings a year. Most go unnoticed unless two things happen.

1. There is prior communication beforehand. A LIVE phone call or a VISIT. Sending something in the mail or in an email most likely gets clicked & trashed, and the snail mail promo gets lost in a pile.

2. Follow Up after the presentation/promo drop. After the follow up - you may have to check in regularly - but be careful not to harass. Don't call once a day - stop in for a beer once a week, support the venue now and then. Make yourself visible and be professional. We regularly stop in on our way to a gig, say hello and drop off our schedule to venues we are sourcing. They can see that we are working and have very few openings (if any). It's Sales & Marketing 101.

3. This is a business....not MTV. If you try and act like Tommy Lee when booking your band, your probably not going to get very far.

Another thing. Getting the gig is the first step. KEEPING the gig is a completely different chapter and thread.
    I'm glad you posted this. I've not been in an active band in about 8-9 years. IMO, the best way to get bookings is to practice your butt off, go do a slammin' live show that everyone loves, and word will get around.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    I'm glad you posted this. I've not been in an active band in about 8-9 years. IMO, the best way to get bookings is to practice your butt off, go do a slammin' live show that everyone loves, and word will get around.
    The business model that worked in the 70's & 80's changed in the 90's. It's changed again. The demographics for rock and roll audiences have change too.

It's very difficult to get decent paying gigs these days. Even if your band is good.

User Info Menu

For Booking: We don't do CD's. We buy smaller Flash drives for the contact person to keep and we put ALL our information on the drive with a promo package. This includes Mp3's, Videos, Pics, Schedule, Agency references etc etc..

If they decide to not book the band - they still get a free gift in the flash drive.

FWIW....EVERYTHING on our Demo is LIVE. Club owners are smart enough to know that most anyone can make a decent recording in there living room these days. We have both, full songs and a 5 minute mix of song clips.

For Fans: Most people are smart enough and have the capability to download your stuff/material on a computer. Save the expense of the CD production and use the money for a web page. There also so many places where you can share your music for free. Link to it.
    thats a really good idea and points i would add to that and make a youtube channel
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

The business model that worked in the 70's & 80's changed in the 90's. It's changed again. The demographics for rock and roll audiences have change too.

It's very difficult to get decent paying gigs these days. Even if your band is good.
    No joke.

I stopped playing in bands a long time ago. We were playing for peanuts for next-to-no one. I was losing money every gig. Now, I just play at church, and I do that occasional hammered dulcimer gig for money. That's about it.

It's a hard time to be in a band.

User Info Menu

The demographics for rock and roll audiences have change too.

Aint that the truth

Rock and rollers like to stay home, drink wine/beer and watch their 120" TVs

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NewTricks View Post
    Rock and rollers like to stay home, drink wine/beer and watch their 120" TVs

They also like to go out and have decent dinner, listen to some good rock and roll while they have a few beverages, and be home in bed (doing whatever) by midnight.

They don't spend a lot of cash on drinks...but they do sign a credit card receipt for close to a hundred dollars. If the bands puts only 10 of these people in the club. The club owner made money off the band.

It's not boring.....but more refined.
    Last edited by EddieV; 01-17-2014 at 01:08 PM.

User Info Menu

What are theses cd things you talk of ?

Just kidding honestly in this day and age everything is digital use social media for gigs your music is on there and almost all venues have some sort of social media to talk about booking. Just try and have as good of quality recordings you can afford