Thread: unwrapping my drums

User Info Menu

Question unwrapping my drums

I've got a Gretsch Blackhawk set that I bought at a pawnshop. The wrap is a midnight blue with a little sparkle to it, but it's a little beat up and it's bubbling a little on some of the drums. I like the sound of the drums and the lugs, rims, and hoops are in good shape, so I've got a couple of questions.

1. How hard would it be to pull the wrap off the drums and stain them? What would I need to do and is there a site that would give me detailed instructions?

2. I think they are basswood. Does anyone know how that would look stained (maybe a cherry, mahogany, or amber color)?

3. Would that affect the sound extensively?

4. Would I need to pull off the badges to do this and, if so, how do I do it?

I'm only considering it right now, so if it's going to be a huge pain or if I'm going to ruin the drum by staining/finishing them, I won't even do it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by astafford View Post
    I've got a Gretsch Blackhawk set that I bought at a pawnshop. The wrap is a midnight blue with a little sparkle to it, but it's a little beat up and it's bubbling a little on some of the drums. I like the sound of the drums and the lugs, rims, and hoops are in good shape, so I've got a couple of questions.

1. How hard would it be to pull the wrap off the drums and stain them? What would I need to do and is there a site that would give me detailed instructions?

2. I think they are basswood. Does anyone know how that would look stained (maybe a cherry, mahogany, or amber color)?

3. Would that affect the sound extensively?

4. Would I need to pull off the badges to do this and, if so, how do I do it?

I'm only considering it right now, so if it's going to be a huge pain or if I'm going to ruin the drum by staining/finishing them, I won't even do it.
    1: I wouldn't try it unless you know what you are doing.

2: Basswood is a whiteish wood. (I think.)

3: Dont think so.

4: Be VERY carefull with that.

5: Im sure someone will be able to be a little more helpfull than me.

User Info Menu

i wouldnt bother staining them as the grain in basswood isnt that pretty. i would just buy some other wrap that you like. most are easy to apply. you will need to remove the badges, thats easy enough. stain or wrap, it wont noticebly effect the sound. if the wrap is glued just use a hair dryer to loosen the glue as you peel the wrap off. take your time pulling it off. i have seen a ply come off a drum with the wrap. it seemed like the wrap glue was stronger than the wood glue. you can even buy exotic wood vaneers that you can put on yourself. you could have the first basswood/bubbinga kit. sad thing is the vaneer would prolly cost more than your kit did.

User Info Menu

I took the wrap off my drums and stained them. On my wrap it was only glued down on one spot for each drum so it was really easy to take it off and hair dryers do work well.