Thread: Just asked to join Jazz Band...

User Info Menu

Default Just asked to join Jazz Band...

Hey,
    I'am a Metal,rock, and punk drummer mainly. Sometimes I play funk but rarely jazz. I accepted the offer to join the jazz band at my school, but what do I do, create a new genre of jazz?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Just asked to join Jazz Band...

Do you want to play jazz?

User Info Menu

It is always good to learn how to play different kinds of music.
    Especially since it is at your school. You need to do it !
    It will help you play your metal, rock, punk stuff.

Personally I hate jazz. It is fun to play except that it always seems that jazz musicians play mainly for one another. Solos solos and more solos..... etc.

User Info Menu

You learn to swing bro. Keep that hihat solid on 2 and 4, and swing that ride. And feather that kick drum
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Jazz is a very wide genre just like rock so it isn't so easily defined as just one certain thing. When you're talking about traditional jazz (swing), it's all about the ride cymbal as Kaz said above. From there, you've just got to figure out what the tune needs. Some songs just need a straight, solid groove and others require a little more creativity. Either way, you'll get good at it simply by practicing and listening to a lot of jazz music. The more you listen to it, the more you'll absorb it.

Have fun!

User Info Menu

Jazz is the best music to play. It requires good improvisational skills and the ability to LISTEN to what's being played. Can't be taught, has to be felt. I played in a improvisational jazz band in college for a year back in the early '70's and probably 150+ jams at various clubs in NYC and other places.

User Info Menu

Oh definitely, go for it! Good practice for your dynamics and phrasing, for sure.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

You will have fun good luck and enjoy yourself.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Maybe you could try some fusion/jazz............although this is more difficult than you are looking for, check out the ROMANTIC WARRIOR from Return to Forever.............that stuff was considered fusion/jazz.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I like classic rock but my instructor introduced a jazz lesson last time we met and gave me a song to play along to. I liked it, I think I would do good on some improvised jazz. Playing off of each other

User Info Menu

I can't imagine that it would hurt to expand your horizons. Bonzo grew up on jazz, but became legendary as a rock drummer. All those triplet patterns were influenced by the American jazz drummers that he listened to as a kid.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Let's face it. Jazz is where drum set drumming started!!

Like about five decades before the first rock n roller appeared.

all the best...

User Info Menu

WTG TFD

Playing different styles will make you a better drummer. Itts always best to be diversified like that.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Thanks for the comments guys

User Info Menu

I don't think you have to really create any new jazz at this point. Your band director should be able to provide you with all the sheet music for whatever songs the band intends to do. Read it carefully. Note that you put the right emphasis on the right syllable and you'll feel the groove. It takes a bit of finesse and an ability to back off one in awhile, so that when you do get to wail, it will all jive so much better.

Listen to old recordings from guys like Krupa, Rich, Bellson and you'll see what I mean. I had the good fortune of getting some private lessons from Louis Bellson as a high school jazz drummer. It was phenomenal and I have been playing some of those licks for over 30 years. They will fit into any genre of music. I truly think jazz is THE foundation for all other modern music. Keep an open mind as it can be frustrating to learn at first, but once you have some of the basics down.......then you can really get your groove on. Good luck!
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.