Thread: Cymbals for Recording Metal

User Info Menu

Question Cymbals for Recording Metal

I'm looking into getting a set of cymbals for recording metal.

I'm guessing cymbals with a fairly quick decay would be ideal for this situation.

I've heard a few recommendations for 13" Hihats, as opposed to 14". Someone suggested to try the Paiste Signature 13" Dark Crisp Hihats.

As far as the ride goes, something with a large bell, nice ping, and not too washy would be ideal.

I'm thinking that I should be looking towards medium weight cymbals, and ones that aren't purely designed to be "loud."

I've used the Sabian AA Metal-X range in the past, but felt they were a bit too heavy/clangy sounding for the job.

Can anyone recommend a specific line of cymbals they have had good experience with, when recording metal?

Many thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cymbals for Recording Metal

I use cymbals that sound good. That's it. Find what you like and use them. I use Sabian 14" Paragon hats, 20" Sabian rock ride (great ping), a 16" Sabian AA mediumTHIN (sounds awesome), 18" Sabian XS20 medium thin, an 18" AAX china, an 11" Max splash and 2 Zil Bels.

It's all in your mic placement and engineer, mixing and mastering.

Here's a track from my bands newest release, I think they cymbals sound great.

User Info Menu

I love the Sabian XS. They work great for me for a metal sound yet can be used for anything else also.

I have the Sabian AAX-Metal cymbals and I agree they are some thick loud cymbals. I recorded with them once before and put moon gel on them to help kill them quick yet still sound like a good crash.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the advice so far.

I'm getting a good deal on a Sabian AAX 16" Dark Crash, so I think I'll go for that to start with.

I'm REALLY liking the sound of the 22" Sabian AAX Metal Ride. I currently own the 20" Sabian AA Metal-X Ride (not the AAX Metal), and I do quite like it, but the 22" AAX Metal Ride seems a lot more defined, less washy and the bell sounds fantastic.

User Info Menu

i have the 22" AAX metal ride. It's AWESOME. It's the exact sound I love.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rohrak View Post
    Thanks for all the advice so far.

I'm getting a good deal on a Sabian AAX 16" Dark Crash, so I think I'll go for that to start with.

I'm REALLY liking the sound of the 22" Sabian AAX Metal Ride. I currently own the 20" Sabian AA Metal-X Ride (not the AAX Metal), and I do quite like it, but the 22" AAX Metal Ride seems a lot more defined, less washy and the bell sounds fantastic.
    The raw bell dry rides are really nice too. A brilliant finish AA sounds great, and of course the AAX is awesome.

User Info Menu

I would recomend Meinl MB 10 and above. I like a lot the M Sound 14" HH which has a crispy sound and can be used also for other music styles.
    I use for the music style as you the older Raker series

User Info Menu

anything thick that can take a hammering

A customs are still my generic choice ..can really go wrong with them