Thread: Side Snares

User Info Menu

Default Side Snares

So I got a 10"x5" Pearl wood Firecracker Snare today for about $50. It's a great little drum IMO, but I have a question.
    What heads do you guys use on smaller 10" to 12" snares? Whatever is on there now rings for days. Seriously, I have timbales and they don't even ring as long as this drum does. What's a good batter head that kills overtones on small drums like this, with a wide tuning range?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Side Snares

I like Emperor weight heads, and prefer the Crimplock version (for marching tenors) because they can take high pitches well. The Emperors have two plies, which damps some of the overtones without making it dry and lifeless.

User Info Menu

If you don't like Moon gel will help. Why did you buy a snare that you knew would be like that. Also when playing out. IMHO you don't notice ring that much.Theres a member on here that has a very nice sounding firecracker Yohin check his signature I think its on there

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by not him View Post
    If you don't like Moon gel will help. Why did you buy a snare that you knew would be like that. Also when playing out. IMHO you don't notice ring that much.Theres a member on here that has a very nice sounding firecracker Yohin check his signature I think its on there
    I need a small 10" or so snare for a project, and this one was at a great price. It's not the drum that's the problem, it's the heads that are currently on it (which are super beat-up anyway, so I'd have to replace them no matter what). I've heard this drum before and it sounds great. I was just looking for a head that works well on these types of drums and will kill some of the ring.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ettsn View Post
    I like Emperor weight heads, and prefer the Crimplock version (for marching tenors) because they can take high pitches well. The Emperors have two plies, which damps some of the overtones without making it dry and lifeless.

This could be a good option, I will look into these heads some more.

User Info Menu

I'm using an Evans clear G1 on my 10x5, with a moon gel. Everyone who's heard it absolutely loves it.

I've even played a few gigs with it as my main snare.