Thread: Floor tom mounting hardware

User Info Menu

Default Floor tom mounting hardware

Hi all, I'm trying to turn a couple old 15" toms into floor toms but wanted to see if anybody has a cheap method for doing this, or a suggestion for a cheap parts source or even hardware store alternatives. The cheapest I've found the brackets that attach to the shell is about $10 each which would be about $60 for two toms, and that's not even including the actual legs.. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Floor tom mounting hardware

I'd be interested in this as well, if anyone has any ideas...

User Info Menu

A lot of music stores sell the legs and the brackets, you will have to drill holes in the drums to give them legs or use the baskets they sell for floor toms

User Info Menu

yes I have shopped for the legs at a couple local shops (and online) and I have power tools. Basically I am trying to turn two cool 70s marching snares into a floor tom and a stand-alone snare with a big sound. But I'm having a hard time spending the hundo on converting them because the actual drums themselves weren't much more than that.

User Info Menu

The cheapest way would be to buy some used brackets and legs off eBay. Buying that kind of stuff new is OK if your only replacing a few broken pieces, but it's not really cost effective if your buying a lot of it for a budget drum project. I usually buy any old cheap drum kit (under $100) that I come across....just for stuff like lugs, hoops, brackets, tension rods, etc..
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

couldn't you just have mounted floor toms (if they already have those mounts. the only other idea would possibly if there is one big enough use a snare drum stand. bu that might put them to high. theres also websites that sell stuff for building drum sets maybe try there
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

yeah I've bought old drums and etc for parts for cheap.

User Info Menu

You're running low on options.

User Info Menu

How portable should these toms be? See Ray's photo: measure and screw on three legs made of plastic or PVC pipe sections. If you need them to be more adjustable, shorten the legs so they barely hang down beyond the bottom hoops and use connecting fittings on the lower leg segments.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

They should be fairly portable -- part of the reason I got them in the first place was I was looking for a smaller floor tom than my 16" for traveling, and these 15" snares just caught my eye. Although a mounted tom seems like the easiest solution, that doesn't really work for me because on some songs I play a synth with my right hand, which I set on the floor tom. I've done it with mounted toms before but they have just a little bit too much sway under the weight of the synth when I'm playing it, even though the synth is actually very light. It's a little hard to deal with if things shift around too much cause I'm trying to keep the beat with my other hand. Pretty much everything I found on eBay that was used is really expensive vintage stuff. I'm gonna scan craigslist for some 'busted' floor toms tomorrow but it's sounding more and more like I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and buy a set of legs and mounts for each one.

User Info Menu

Can they mount onto a cymbal stand? I have a multi-clamp hardware made by Pearl that mounts onto a cymbal stand. It has 3 holes: 1 used for the stand and the other two holes for tom, cymbal, cowbells, etc. What you see here is a 13" tom connected with the multi clamp that also has a cymbal stand and cowbell attached. I'm sure if you check out the hardware section they have it. Worth a shot anyway.

User Info Menu

Yeah, mounting the tom to a cymbal stand WOULD be a workable solution, but as I was saying the floor tom sometimes doubles as a keyboard stand, and without legs there just isn't enough support to keep it steady while I'm trying to play -- though the one in the picture does look a little more robust than the mounted toms I've tried in the past, so I suppose I shouldn't write it off completely..

User Info Menu

Setting a keyboard on it will add extra weight, which may create issues with the cymbal stand being off balance.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wocketpatch View Post
    Yeah, mounting the tom to a cymbal stand WOULD be a workable solution, but as I was saying the floor tom sometimes doubles as a keyboard stand, and without legs there just isn't enough support to keep it steady while I'm trying to play -- though the one in the picture does look a little more robust than the mounted toms I've tried in the past, so I suppose I shouldn't write it off completely..
    The hardware stand is very sturdy considering all the weight it's holding (yes even for a Westbury). When I play on the tom there is no ringing in the cymbal or cowbell so it does it's job. However at one point I had a tambourine mounted instead of the cowbell and everytime I played the tom the tambourine shook (which isn't necessarily a bad thing)