Thread: What is making that sound?

User Info Menu

Default What is making that sound?

OTHER than production magic, what is making that almost sliding sound across what I assume is the snare? It does sound like just a snare at times, but there seems to be something else there. (It can be heard for the first time right around 36 seconds in.)
    I have watched a couple of live versions, and I still hear the slide...I'm guessing it has to be electronic rather than organic (acoustic?)

"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
    -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, 1976

User Info Menu

Default Re: What is making that sound?

Probably electronic on recording but I think it could be easily duplicated acousticly with a short type of rain stick or even a metal guiro w/ metal brush. Love that song BTW it kind of gets in my head atleast once a week.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

agreed production studio magic I assume. A studio produced sound using a program of some sort.

User Info Menu

MachinedrumKelly has a great idea about using a short sequence "Rain Stick" - look those up on YouTube - you should see a few different models and the sound they make. But more than likely, what you hear in the video was probably done in the studio - electronically~!
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Sounds like very loose snare wires or chain on snare. Old trick with chain

User Info Menu

A belt slapped against snare drum?

User Info Menu

I'd say it's just some sort of electronic sample, done as an overdub, all part of the "studio magic."
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Assuming you're talking about the sound that precedes some of the snare hits, it could just be a reversed snare hit with the initial attack cut out.
    Last edited by xweasel; 01-22-2014 at 01:25 PM.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

You can make a similar sound by turning the snare drum over and running a stick a crossed the snare wires.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Sounds like an electronic sample over and acoustic... every second one sounds like the sample is reversed.
    ||Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without. ~Confucius||

Pearl Masters Custom - Emerald Mist with gold hardware 12/13/16/22

PDP LX - Cherry Fade
    8/10/12/14/16/22

Zildjian A Custom 16/18/20 1970's 14" New Beat hats
    Sabian 16" Ozone crash

Roland TD-3 and TD-10 A to E Kit.