Thread: Omni for a K dark med. thin

User Info Menu

Default Omni for a K dark med. thin

I took the omni to rehearsal Sun. and decided that it was just too weird to have my ride on the opposite side if my kit. In order for the crash sounds to be right I had to move the omni to the opposite side of my kit, because the crash was higher pitched than the ISO crash. I took the Omni back and brought home a K. I really loved the omni though, if I had bought it 1st, instead of the ISO, I would have kept it and found a mate for it. I've had the ISO since Nov. so I couldn't take it back. I like the 20" ISO as a main crash, and a ride(not as mush as the omni though) so I took the ISO to the store, and went through many cymbals looking for a mate for it. There was a 17" A custom that was a tough running mate with the K's. A Sabian 19" Raw Bell Crash was in there for a little while. That was about the only Sabian that I liked(at the store). I kept going back and forth between several K's, and that A custom. In the end it was an 18" Dark Med. Thin K that won the Spot. Here's a short video of the K and the ISO. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhGdjkKcxvA

User Info Menu

Default Re: Omni for a K dark med. thin

Sounds great, also sounds great with the ISO crash. Hope you enjoy playing with it and hope it sounds good at your gigs, What Hi hats are you using?
    "I don’t think a drummer should have to show off to get noticed. You’re like the conductor of a train. You keep the train on the tracks – let everybody else worry about everything else.” -Nathan Followill.

Grear List
    Cymbals: Zildjian K
    15" Light Hi Hats
    14" Hi Hats
    18" Dark Thin Crash
    19" Dark Thin Crash
    22" Light Ride
    Drum Kit: Gretsch Catalina Maple
    12/14/20
    Snare: Ludwig
    Epic 14"x5.5 Soon to be upgraded.

Keep the Peace!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrummingAllTheWayHome View Post
    Sounds great, also sounds great with the ISO crash. Hope you enjoy playing with it and hope it sounds good at your gigs, What Hi hats are you using?
    Thank you. The hats are 13" Sabian AAX stage top and studio bottom. I bought them used separately. That's why they're not the same.

User Info Menu

I love my OMNI but I love my K as well.

I use 3 crashes (if you include the onmi) and have found myself being pickier about my crashes to match the uniqueness of the omni
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I've got a 20" kick I can sell for enough to buy the omni back. I've been thinking about it. I got it out yesterday and put an SK1 on it to see how much I really like it. I might sell.

User Info Menu

I was just playing on a 16" zildjian k thin dark crash. I liked it. I think I'm going to get one of these next

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dabdrums View Post
    I was just playing on a 16" zildjian k thin dark crash. I liked it. I think I'm going to get one of these next
    I own one, and it is my favorite 16" crash. The rest are A Custom crashes but that 16 dark thin is a winner.
    9 out of 10 people addicted to brake fluid can't stop!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PlanetZildjian View Post
    I own one, and it is my favorite 16" crash. The rest are A Custom crashes but that 16 dark thin is a winner.
    There was an A Custom at the store that I really liked. I started out with a 19 k Thin Dark that I had played in the store before. I would have liked to take them all. I'm not using the K at home on my big kit. I'm going to use it with my 60's/70's band. My 1st rehearsal with it will be next sun. I think sounds good with my 20" ISO crash. Those 2 are kind of dark, and a little bit mellow. The rest of my cymbals are pretty bright, so the k and iso aren't in my regular set up. At home I use a lot of cymbals, but with my band I'm planning on using only 2. We've not gigged yet, so I might change my mind after things get going.

User Info Menu

I've been looking around e bay for a used 16" but if I can't find one I'm going to buy new.

User Info Menu

Well I took my new K with the 20" Sab. Iso to rehearsal for the 1st time tonight. They sound great together with the band. We play pretty soft at rehearsals. I don't think I'll use these 2 when I'm gonna whale. I'll save them for the softer stuff. I've been whaling on my others for years, and I like them in that setting just fine. I've always wanted a K. This one's kind of warm, not real bright (like I normally like). It's not very trashy either, just a nice crash sound. 18'' It's rideable a little. Wouldn't be good for a main ride though. I can crash ride it just above the edge, with the tip of the stick, and it sounds great for that too. The bell is real nice. The 20'' ISO is lower pitched, and warmer with a good ride sound (could use a little more stick definition) but good. The bell is great on it also. I think they make a pretty good pair. Now I'm excited to do a gig. I don't know how long that'll be.

User Info Menu

poor omni i would never get rid of mine.
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HolyChina View Post
    poor omni i would never get rid of mine.
    I'm thinking about selling my 20" kick and buying it back. I've not hardly used it. I got it out the other day and put a SK1 on the batter. I think I'll wait till I've used it on a gig before I make any dicission though. I like the sound of the 22 better, but I can lower the toms on the 20. I'm 5'6 so I sit pretty low.