Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have to cover their drums for sun (and dust) protection?

User Info Menu

Default Does anyone have to cover their drums for sun (and dust) protection?

If so, what do you use!? A bedsheet looks too horrid and probably won't block much sun, but a bespoke cover might be OTT.

What's normal? Or do y'all just keep 'em the hell away from sunlight!?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Does anyone have to cover their drums for sun (and dust) protection?

Sun isn't much problem unless they sit indoors by a window or for a long time during an outdoor gig. Ive seen kits with the wrap faded on one side because they were always set up by a window. I use an old bed sheet as an indoor dust cover. If we gig outdoors, I keep a clear plastic painter's drop cloth handy.....for protection from sudden rain showers. You could buy a cheap car cover and cut it to size if you want something a little more attractive. That would work for dust and UV, but not rain.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: Does anyone have to cover their drums for sun (and dust) protection?

For me, it's home use only currently. I have it in an open conservatory (as in, no door, so temp from the house doesn't let it get too cold/damp in the winter) by windows with net curtains on them. It gets very warm in the summer, but not stooopid hot (~40C tops).

It's a TD15K, so probably not as much worry with shrinkage as with an acoustic kit. Would be wary of the mesh heads though and any fading/warping of the rest of it. And dust too

User Info Menu

Great….a current question that I have as well!

We are moving to a new home where I will have a dedicated music room. I don't expect that I will have the drums where sun will hit them (through a window), but there is the ever-present dust problem, in particular an issue here in the Nevada desert. I don't expect to ever be playing them out, and will certainly not let them sit in the direct sun, which can lay waste to just about anything out here. I plan to cover them in the new house with a bed sheet or two when they are idle. I don't see any reason to try to get any more elegant than that.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

I just make sure the blinds are closed when the sun shines in.
    Outdoors gigs means a plastic dropcloth in case of rain. Haven't had many long, outdoor, hot summer gigs.
    Dust? I dust drums whenever they show it.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

My kit sits in an unfinished upstairs room that was gutted by a fire before I moved in. All it needs is some drywall. It's an old house so it's a little dusty in there. I use 4 bedsheets clipped together to cover it up when I actually do cover it up. I would like to get a parachute and rig it up so I could just lower and raise it up with a pulley system from the ceiling, though. Maybe one day. Or I'll finish off the room.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I use a black bedsheet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    I would like to get a parachute and rig it up so I could just lower and raise it up with a pulley system from the ceiling
    That would be cool to see

User Info Menu

wolvie56 good idea I'd like to see that too. I use a king size bed sheet, its in the house and soft.

User Info Menu

Yeah, don't mean to sound snobbish about bedsheets, but it ain't gonna wash with the missus! The kit is visible from the lounge and some random shape with a bedsheet on it just isn't gonna work :(

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Al-the-Al View Post
    Yeah, don't mean to sound snobbish about bedsheets, but it ain't gonna wash with the missus! The kit is visible from the lounge and some random shape with a bedsheet on it just isn't gonna work :(
    I can understand that, and since the missus is involved, I would suggest that you let her come up with a fabric, and color, that would be acceptable to her. Since it's primarily about dust, just about anything will do, and by getting the fabric, it can be made to exactly the right size for your kit.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I didn't know the missus was involved, we know how that is. Pastor bob has a good idea. Or if the odd shape is still a problem, and your handy you could get some 1/2 " pvc pipe build a frame around it, but don't glue the corner pipe so it could fold up and be put against a wall when your playing and easily set up around the set when not in use. All you need is the pipe some tee's, elbows and a hacksaw to cut the pipe to size.

User Info Menu

Or just leave them uncovered and hit them with a feather duster every couple of days.

User Info Menu

I use an older bed skirt on my kit. Not as thick as a normal bed sheet and more breathable. Does the job of keeping dust, bugs etc off the kit.

User Info Menu

My set sits right behind a large bay window. I cover mine up with a bed sheet. They are a vintage set of Slingerlands 70-72? light blue pearl and I am trying to keep them as fade free as can be.

User Info Menu

Swiffer for dust. Blinds for the sun. Sheet for covering. There's really not much more you can do but case them when you're not using them. Otherwise, leave them uncovered (which is my preference) and dust them weekly. When you clean/dust everything else. The better-half may prefer to dust them rather than have them covered. Let her choose. ...It's her house after all.
    Steve
    "When I can match Buddy Rich, lick for lick, I will get a rack."
    Ludwig Super Classic

User Info Menu

I do good to keep our large mixer covered.

User Info Menu

Sunlight was never an issue for mr but when I was playing out I used two black king bed sheets sewn together to cover my kit. Back then we played at the same venues for the whole week do I kept it covered when we were not there.

User Info Menu

I am with mile high---I have the windows covered with acoustic foam, so sunlight is not a problem in the studio, and I just got a Swiffer duster---makes it so easy---you can dust from the throne if you want! My studio is in my house, so I am in there every day, and covering is not needed

User Info Menu

i use a bed sheet..

its clean
    Last edited by itchie; 01-25-2014 at 05:05 AM.

User Info Menu

It is almost a shame to cover them, they look much better as is I'm not so worried about dust, it's the sun since they're sitting in a conservatory. It brings a lot of light into the house, so blinds down all the time ain't gonna wash either. I just want to protect it from the direct sun so nothing melts or fades! Net curtains on some of it at currently dilutes the sun a little.

When my kids are older, I'm gonna hijack a corner in their playroom which will be far better. But for now, it's too full of junk and I'd prefer to be able to keep an eye on it, especially when their friends are around

User Info Menu

I don't park my kit near any windows so the UV worries are not an issue for me. After a good polish I keep them covered with a sheet, until I start getting tired of covering the kit after every session. Once I get around to cleaning them again it's back to covering them (for awhile).

User Info Menu

Buy a car cover for a Volkswagen Beetle...
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

In the summer I hang a thick beach towel with a few clip off my rack to keep afternoon sun that gets through the edges of the curtains.

User Info Menu

When I was on the road I had an old backdrop and used it to cover the whole stage set up, drums, amps, everything. It was more for theft deterrent. Used to do 6-7 nights a week, and this was usually Mon-Wed in one club, Thurs-Sat in another, so during the day people would be sitting in the bar drinking. Taking away the visual temptation was the goal. If some drunk guy was sitting eying all the stage gear, the thought of grabbing something small and hitting the closest exit was diminished if he could not see what was there. Out of sight, out of mind.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168