Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grammy Awards

User Info Menu

Default Re: Grammy Awards

In an effort to abide by the rules, I can only say that there seemed to be to much emphasis placed on a subject that had nothing whatsoever to do with the art of writing, performing or the production of music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    I saw the opening act and said to myself...looks as though Beyonce is auditioning for a job as a stripper in some slease bar. What in the world is going on with these gal singers.
    And people thought Elvis' swingin' hips would be the downfall of modern society...
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Just to remind every one what it was like back in the day, 1965:

Best Vocal Performance, Female
    Barbra Streisand for "People"
    Best Vocal Performance, Male
    Louis Armstrong for "Hello, Dolly!"
    Best Performance by a Vocal Group
    The Beatles for A Hard Day's Night
    Best Performance by a Chorus
    Ward Swingle for The Swingle Singers Going Baroque performed by the Swingle Singers
    Best Instrumental Performance
    Henry Mancini for "The Pink Panther Theme"
    Best Rock and Roll Recording
    Petula Clark for "Downtown"
    (from Wikipedia)
    Last edited by slinglander; 01-27-2014 at 02:50 PM. Reason: added credits
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I did not see the whole thing (I am sick of Beyonce anyway) But the few things I saw I really liked. The Imagine Dragons with the Rapper was INTENSE. I thought that was great, so good in fact I think I will go watch it again
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Hasn't been about the music for quite some time now. Sad. Once you stop expecting it to be, you won't be disappointed.

User Info Menu

The Grammys have been a joke for years.

User Info Menu

I think once you get "outside" of the demographic of the music that is "selling" the most.....you'll think the Grammy Award Shows suck.

And the older you'll get -- the worse it'll get.

It's just a big giant corporate anyway.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

I'm sorry, but I for one didn't like seeing Ringo playing with Abe. I could see, if they didn't try so hard to hide Abe, but it was just a poor attempt to cover up Ringo's deficiencies in my opinion. If it would have come across as Abe's gig, but with two drummers, I wouldn't be so irritated. They should have just done a Beatles tune that he could play by himself, instead of having him do the equivalent of lip-synching, but to someone else's drumming. All I heard was Abe, but I was shown Ringo. I would have respected it if both drummers were shown and both kits were mic'd up so they could both be heard. Sorry, just my personal opinion.
    -Tama Granstar II (12x11, 16x16, 22x16)
    -Yamaha 7000 Series (12x8, 13x9, 16x16 22x18)
    -Crush Sublime E3 (12x8, 16x14, 24x17)
    -Pearl Mixed Series kit (8x7, 10x8, 15x13, 20x14)
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -HHG Purpleheart/Cherry Stave 7x14
    -HHG Red Birch Stave 7x14
    -Pearl Masters MCX 5.5x14
    -Pearl Steel (Pre-Sensitone) 6.5x14
    -Pearl Vintage Professional Series 6.5x14
    -Tama Imperialstar Seamless Steel 6.5x14
    -Tama Soundworks Maple 6.5x14
    -Premier (African Mahogany with Beech Re-rings) 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Wuhan Traditional Cymbals
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dirtysticks View Post
    I'm sorry, but I for one didn't like seeing Ringo playing with Abe. I could see, if they didn't try so hard to hide Abe, but it was just a poor attempt to cover up Ringo's deficiencies in my opinion. If it would have come across as Abe's gig, but with two drummers, I wouldn't be so irritated. They should have just done a Beatles tune that he could play by himself, instead of having him do the equivalent of lip-synching, but to someone else's drumming. All I heard was Abe, but I was shown Ringo. I would have respected it if both drummers were shown and both kits were mic'd up so they could both be heard. Sorry, just my personal opinion.
    Not bashing ya because I understand where your coming from but maybe look at it from a different perspective. I don't think doing a Beatles tune would matter it's not like there was anything difficult in that song that even I could not play never mind Ringo.

The guy is in his 70's and probably has all kinds of health issues going on. Heck I am falling apart at 47 and cannot imagine playing drums 23 yrs from now. In fact just the other day I was playing and all of a sudden my 2nd toe started hurting like all get out?? I was like really The 2nd toe..whats up with that?

Anyway like I said this was not a difficult song for a guy who has been playing drums as long as he has so I am sure there were other factors we don't know about going on. I think Ringo has earned the benefit of the doubt on this IMO.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by machinedrumkelly View Post
    Not bashing ya because I understand where your coming from but maybe look at it from a different perspective. I don't think doing a Beatles tune would matter it's not like there was anything difficult in that song that even I could not play never mind Ringo.

The guy is in his 70's and probably has all kinds of health issues going on. Heck I am falling apart at 47 and cannot imagine playing drums 23 yrs from now. In fact just the other day I was playing and all of a sudden my 2nd toe started hurting like all get out?? I was like really The 2nd toe..whats up with that?

Anyway like I said this was not a difficult song for a guy who has been playing drums as long as he has so I am sure there were other factors we don't know about going on. I think Ringo has earned the benefit of the doubt on this IMO.
    I can see where you're coming from, but I don't see Roy Haynes and Charlie Watts playing with ghost drummers... but there could be reasons that we don't know about.
    -Tama Granstar II (12x11, 16x16, 22x16)
    -Yamaha 7000 Series (12x8, 13x9, 16x16 22x18)
    -Crush Sublime E3 (12x8, 16x14, 24x17)
    -Pearl Mixed Series kit (8x7, 10x8, 15x13, 20x14)
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -HHG Purpleheart/Cherry Stave 7x14
    -HHG Red Birch Stave 7x14
    -Pearl Masters MCX 5.5x14
    -Pearl Steel (Pre-Sensitone) 6.5x14
    -Pearl Vintage Professional Series 6.5x14
    -Tama Imperialstar Seamless Steel 6.5x14
    -Tama Soundworks Maple 6.5x14
    -Premier (African Mahogany with Beech Re-rings) 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Wuhan Traditional Cymbals
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    I love my hair!!!!!
    As do I. Im trying to get in with a "hair" band myself.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

Kendrick Lamar and Imagine Dragons were an unexpectedly awesome collab and I was definitely impressed with the guts Lorde showed. Everyone playing in and with Metallica just seemed off to me, Lars seemed to be having some particular trouble.

User Info Menu

I actually thought it was one of the best Grammys I have ever seen. Pink was awesome, Katy Perry was great. Imagine Dragons absolutely KILLED IT and for me was the highlight of the show. NIN with QOTSA and Dave Grohl were robbed by the credits at the end, but at least we got to see them. Kacey Musgraves got shafted with a poor spot right after Image Dragons. Even Macklamore and Lewis performed excellently. I could have done without the Madonna vocals or the wedding ceremony, but hey....I got to see some cool music that wasn't lip-synched with real musicians playing actual notes.
    While I will be the first to say that Ringo is the worst drummer in the Beatles, it was still epic to see him playing with McCartney again, even for just one song. Just wish John and George could have been there.
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.

User Info Menu

I hate award shows of any kind!!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dirtysticks View Post
    ... but it was just a poor attempt to cover up Ringo's deficiencies in my opinion. If it would have come across as Abe's gig, but with two drummers, ...
    It was an impromptu sit-in and (obviously) Ringo didn't know the song. He was watching Abe for cues. I agree that there was no reason to try to hid Abe. Maybe just rehearse next time.
    Steve
    "When I can match Buddy Rich, lick for lick, I will get a rack."
    Ludwig Super Classic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighDrummer View Post
    It was an impromptu sit-in and (obviously) Ringo didn't know the song. He was watching Abe for cues. I agree that there was no reason to try to hid Abe. Maybe just rehearse next time.
    This is exactly how I saw it. He just didn't know the song.
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I hate award shows of any kind!!

all the best...
    "We're all great and rich. Lets get together and celebrate how great and rich we are"
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    "We're all great and rich. Lets get together and celebrate how great and rich we are"
    You should watch the UK Television Awards.

User Info Menu

That was Omar Hakim playing with Daft Punk and Stevie Wonder, and he killed it. Performance of the night, in my opinion. Not exactly sure what the Daft robots were adding behind that movie prop they were "playing", but East and Hakim layed down the law!

User Info Menu

I didn’t watch the grammys but I did hear that Imagine Dragons/Kendrick Lemar collab. Very very good. Although, imo, Radioactive is their only decent song. A few months ago I grabbed their album after hearing that song and found the rest of the album to be ok but fairly uninteresting.
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.