Thread: Looking For DrumKit

User Info Menu

Question Looking For DrumKit

Ok, ive recently started drumming and I have no kit!

my teacher says im gunna have to get a kit pretty soon otherwise I wont beable to practice.

when I was just learning the basic beat with the crash, high hat, snare, and base drum, it was ok cuz i could just use the end of my bed for that.

now he wants to to make stuff up and i cant do that without a kit, a havnt been able to practice toms and ride cuz my bed doesnt have extra attatchments.

i air drum but its not gunna be good for a gig or something is it?

Ive looked on ebay.

anyone got a second hand kit they wanna sell? i dont care if its pretty bashed up...as long as its usable.

User Info Menu

playing air drums will teach you drums as well as air guitar teaches you guitar .You are right if you are going to learn you need a kit .try and get the best kit you can afford too at LEAST say a pearl export .don`t be tempted by kits like "performance percussion" , or other crappy "home shopping catalogue " kits ,by the time you`ve re-skinned them and bought better cymbals you might as well have bought a decent one in the first place .steer clear of things like paiste 101 and sabian solar cymbals ,again these are crap and will either break on you or just sound terrible .It might help you buy one if you let people know what area you are in .

hope this helps you a bit .
    dave
    Last edited by pinkfloyd; 08-06-2006 at 03:42 PM.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up

thanks pinkfloyd!

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Looking for Kit

Hey, metal screamo! Welcome!

If your drum teacher owns or works at a drum shop, check with him about used sets. Depending on what you can afford, you might be able to find something usable. Also check out the newspaper ads. pink floyd is right--for your first set, it's better to buy a good used one than a cheap new one.

Kinda like buyin' your first car, ya know?
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

for sure....stay away from non music stores that sell instruments, like wal-mart. just keep ckeckin ur local papers and ask around and maybe put an add in ur paper that you are looking for a cheap used set and also check with your local highschool. I picked up really old ludwig from the 60's for 30 bucks from my local school and then i put 300 into it and now i have a really high quality good sounding kit with several cymbals for 330 bucks with....that's cheap! for cymbals ckeck out the Sabian B8 line. very cheap yet very good

User Info Menu

yeah sabian b8`s rock ...they need miking up live but they sound great and are pretty thick .mine have taken a fair bit of abuse and are still in good shape .Make that sort of price range ($250) you lower limit for your cymbals if you can (thats what they cost in the uk dunno bout the states)if yo use a cheap nasty cymbal you`ll hate it every time you hit it and that will effect the time you spend at the kit ,the effort you put in and inevertabley your whole practice routine .Also put remo heads on ,some will say others but i think for a starter head the remo weatherking (or ambassodor) is great for the snare and not too pricey too .With a cheaper second hand kit you`ll get stuff thrown it like sticks ,stick bag ,throne etc etc ,stuff you`ld have to buy seperate with a catalogue kit and also your hardware will be a lot stronger ...

dave
    Last edited by pinkfloyd; 08-06-2006 at 10:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Sabian b8's are alot cheeper in the states...just go to www.interstatemusic.com that website pretty much has the best deals out of anyone

User Info Menu

Metal screamo, where are you from? I have a older 5 piece kit I will be selling.
    Rock Till Ya Drop

User Info Menu

Default Re: Looking For DrumKit

I suggest a Pearl Rhythm Traveler and Zildjian Z3s
    -Grampire
    Teams
    Pearl Pack
    Zildjian League
    Evans Empire
    Quote: Ratamycue- Fart, oh man I said a naughty
    RIP Frank
    Pearl Masterworks

User Info Menu

I suggest a vintage Japanese kit that you can possibly find on CList. They're inexpensive and have great sound. Under $250. Used cymbals, on eBay.
    I found this for $200. Even included a hat stand, bass pedal, 18" Camber crash/ride, 14" Camber hats and an 16" Camber crash. pinkfloyd is correct about liking your cymbals and time spent behind the kit. GOOD cymbals really make all the difference! Cambers would not be good cymbals. The Sabian B8's would be better for starters as mentioned.

Last edited by Olimpass; 01-29-2011 at 01:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Why do these old threads keep coming up?
    Paiste Alpha 14'' Sound Edge hats
    Paiste Alpha 16'' Medium Crash
    Sabian XS20 14'' Medium-Thin Crash
    Wuhan 16'' China

drummer: Being young is good ... as long as you're also wise
    Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Then you can use napkins to wipe your hands instead of taping them to your heads.

User Info Menu

because grampire is obsessed with trolling the boards by bringing back old posts? I don't understand it.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Yeah, it's a game I suppose. This thread is so old the original poster has finished school and is now married with a couple of kids.

I'm done playing though...

User Info Menu

Power Beat is a good practice kit; wont cost you much and sounds toss but a good stepping stone onto better things as you gain confidence; not sure how available they are in the states though; if you buy a second hand kit from a dealer they should include Power Beat cymbals; you dont need anything flash for now; you shouldnt have to spend more than around $250 for a 5 piece. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.
    If you are going through hell...keep going!

User Info Menu

lol i just looked at the date! He prob has a Noble and Cooley 13 peice by now!
    If you are going through hell...keep going!

User Info Menu

Grampire is new to the DC and I think he is just trying to build his name by answering just about every post there is. He is not watching the dates on the post and brings old ones back. Watch the dates Grampire and try to keep up to date.