Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: opinions about practicing

User Info Menu

Default opinions about practicing

i know a lot of you, like me, enjoy playing along with music as part of your practice.

this is going to be totally individual, but when you play along to songs do you try to cover it exactly, or do you make it your own with different fills and rhythms?

i do a little of both but i typically play it as a cover song and change some of the fills to suit my style.

how about you?
    Pearl Export EX matte purple with black hardware 10, 13, 14, 22

14" Zildjian Constantinople hats
    22" Zildjian Constantinople ride
    8" Zildjian Constantinople splash
    20" Zildjian Constantinople ride/crash
    18" Zildjian Constantinople riveted ride/crash
    16" A. Zildjian Thin Crash (now a wall decoration)
    18" A. Zildjian Thin Crash
    14" Avedis Zildjian crash

User Info Menu

Default Re: opinions about practicing

Most covers I tend to learn the basic groove and any signature licks, the rest I do my own thing.

User Info Menu

I like to at first learn the song and play it exactly, or as close as possible note for note depending on the song. After that, and again depending on the song, I might throw some of my own things into it.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

It depends....I don't really practice songs by myself, but I practice with my band 4-5 hours per week. Everything we do is technically a "cover", but many times we change up the rhythm or style. Since most of it is traditional Blues, old Country or Folk, its pretty easy to get buy with it. Thats a definite advantage over classic Rock or other stuff that gets radio play. I prefer NOT to listen too closely to any original version. I would rather play what I feel in the song and what goes with what the other guys are playing.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

If I'm practicing it to learn for the band, I tend to play it more like the record and keep its feel. If I'm just jamming to the song, I play all over it! LOL

User Info Menu

I was like NR. Basic groove and any signature licks stayed.

After that, it's mine.

Back in the day, if someone said I didn't play a song like the OA did, I would tell them to go see a tribute band, or buy the record (CD) and save themselves some money.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Most covers I tend to learn the basic groove and any signature licks, the rest I do my own thing.
    +1 on this
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

If I'm trying to learn stuff then I try to duplicate the drums on the recording as closely as possible.

Sometimes if I'm just playing for fun then I might do anything.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    It depends....I don't really practice songs by myself, but I practice with my band 4-5 hours per week. Everything we do is technically a "cover", but many times we change up the rhythm or style. Since most of it is traditional Blues, old Country or Folk, its pretty easy to get buy with it. Thats a definite advantage over classic Rock or other stuff that gets radio play. I prefer NOT to listen too closely to any original version. I would rather play what I feel in the song and what goes with what the other guys are playing.
    Great answer!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Speaking more as a music appreciator than drummer, I hate absolute covers of songs. I believe a song should be covered to reflect the musicality and genre of YOUR band. If not then what's the point really? As Rick says, just play the CD's. Can't get any closer than that.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I dont usually play to songs, I just jam. But if I play to songs I'll put on hip hop or reggae songs, most I've never heard before, and just jam to them.

User Info Menu

^^^

Playing to hip hop is like playing with the click track's fun loving cousin.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    ^^^

+1 I was playing to an old Tone Loc CD and man there was actually some tricky Bass drum parts and I was grooving like you read about.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    ^^^

I love playing along to oldschool hip hop! For that exact reason.

I dont know if its a result of not taking any lessons, but i find it hard to just play somthing on the spot with no other musicians or music going. If i sit down at a kit and someone asks me to play somthing i usually start up one of my 4-5 usual beats that are in my head and gradually change it up, but if im playing to music or with other musicians i can pretty much play anything. Does anyone else have this problem?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rallydrummer View Post
    I love playing along to oldschool hip hop! For that exact reason.

I dont know if its a result of not taking any lessons, but i find it hard to just play somthing on the spot with no other musicians or music going. If i sit down at a kit and someone asks me to play somthing i usually start up one of my 4-5 usual beats that are in my head and gradually change it up, but if im playing to music or with other musicians i can pretty much play anything. Does anyone else have this problem?
    I'm the exact same way. Maybe it is due to my lack of technical knowledge, training and rudiments (and probably lack of skill, LOL), but I have a hard time just sitting down and "playing something". I need to have music or a band going, then it just kinda happens automatic.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Great answer!

all the best...
    Thanks! BUT, I did sit in a couple gigs with another classic rock band awhile back. They played a lot of old CCR and stuff that I've heard a million times over the years. The original versions of the songs were all burnt into my memory. Unfortunately, they want to play everything about 50% faster than they were originally done. I had a really hard time adjusting because I just naturally kept wanting to fall back to the original beats, fills and tempo.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I'm the exact same way. Maybe it is due to my lack of technical knowledge, training and rudiments (and probably lack of skill, LOL), but I have a hard time just sitting down and "playing something". I need to have music or a band going, then it just kinda happens automatic.
    Yes exactly!! Glad to see im not the only one! :D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    If I'm practicing it to learn for the band, I tend to play it more like the record and keep its feel. If I'm just jamming to the song, I play all over it! LOL
    Same here.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Same here. Make the song recognizable, but also make it my own at the same time.

User Info Menu

this .....
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

I don't practice to the song itself....most of the time. I may for the first few times. Key here is that because I work regularly in a "cover band" - I usually already "know" the song before hand before we add it to our setlist.

What I always do is practice the song from memory to a metronome. I put head phones on with the click, and begin playing it in my head. I wont play the song in my head from start to finish, but play individual segments of each song repeatedly, verse to chorus/chorus to verse transitions, special fills, etc...

Most of the time I'll simply practice "the groove".

I'll do this for songs that aren't new for the band also. I'll do it with songs we've played for years just to keep sharp.

I get asked quite often "what's the most difficult song you play".....and every time people, especially "non-musicians" are surprised when I tell them it's THIS ONE.

It seems so easy, but it's not an easy "feel" to keep perfectly steady....and yes I know about JP's drum tracking technique!
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Never tried to play that song before, but that groove certainly doesn't sound that easy to me. Sounds like something I would have to practice ALOT to get right....or change it to more of a funky Blues/Jazz type rythum.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

I practice to the song and learn the basics then add my style to it.
    Kreg
    First concert the Beatles 1966
    Love to rock and roll with my set of Rogers

User Info Menu

More or less I've been called less is more!

User Info Menu

get it perfect , then change it up to make it better ...not just for the sake of changes