Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bruno Mars Playing Drums - Super Bowl 48 2014 live halftime

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bruno Mars Playing Drums - Super Bowl 48 2014 live halftime

I think it has been acknowledged the chili peppers mimed over pre recorded tracks. Reality is, many times Live TV dictates this! control/bleed through etc. they don't deny it, just the way it happens a lot of the time.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

I'm not a huge fan of Bruno Mars' "let's polish up something Prince/Usher/James Brown/etc... did years ago" schtik but the kids seem to like it so who am I to judge?

Chilis were a great reserve of boundless energy (and, even as a straight man, I can say Keidis looks in the best shape of his life). Miming or not, that's how a rock band should act on the world's stage.

User Info Menu

Look, for events like this, it is not unusual for artists to use the recording of their last dress rehearsal as a CYA in case things go bad. Beyonce got hammered for doing it once when she performed before a football game.

What happened at the SB this past Sunday IMHO can't be blamed on any type of audio delay, etc.

Plain and simple, they were either playing over a pre-recorded track or they weren't really playing at all and all that we heard was a pre-recorded track.

Not being judgmental, just saying that it is what it is. It was still one of the better halftime shows I've seen...........I'll admit that the bar is set pretty low though.

User Info Menu

The more I look at the clip the more it looks and sounds that he was playing along to a pre recorded track or along with somebody off stage somewhere.

It's understandable to make the moment as best it can be on one of the biggest stages of modern times. Pepsi spent millions on that halftime show. It's gotta be slick. Who'd want to take a chance on somebody dropping a stick or something else that would make it a disappointment for some viewers.

Weather any halftime show is completely flawless or not doesn't matter. It will always come off as the best halftime show performance ever to date by whoever gets to do it.

and don't forget about all the money at stake.
    Last edited by slinky; 02-04-2014 at 07:41 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Well, Flea just admitted that they were unplugged. I knew my eyes and ears weren't deceiving me.

User Info Menu

"The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

it's safe to say the whole thing minus the vocals was pre recorded just like the halftimes before this one and the halftimes yet to come.

The thinking being, it's gotta be right, right now.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

TBH, I don't know why anyone is surprised by this or why it's such a big deal. Bands spend an age doing soundchecks for stadium gigs (which is essentially what this was) & it was surely impossible to be sure there would be decent sound set up in the few minutes they had to prepare for the show's start.
    It's non-news as far as I can see, & more like an opportunity for RHCP bashers around the world to have a go.
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

it doesn't bother me one way or the other but since the singer of this band decided to do a drum solo before he sang a note, we as a drum community have a right to know the truth

There's always going to be bashers no matter who does what. That one guy that responded to Flea's statement is an idiot.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I read somewhere that RHCP would never mime a live concert. They made an exception in half time. They did do a good job playing unplugged though. Sure fooled me lol
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 02-05-2014 at 07:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Stuff like this has [obviously] been going on for over 50+ years. I was watching a show from the 60's last night and THE WHO were obviously lip-synching to the song MY GENERATION.

I don't understand why everyone is so surprised.

I understand if people don't like it - but to be shocked/surprised/offended that it happened, in this day and age, surprises me.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Man. I really wanted to hate Bruno Mar's performance, ( I strongly dislike his music) but he put on a helluva show. Sweet drum solo opening.
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

I'm not shocked, unhappy or any other emotion that comes to mind. It is what it is. Like Eddie said, it's been happening for decades. Most of the stuff on the Ed Sullivan Show and other "live" performances on tv were lip synced.

What I found interesting was that nobody else said anything about or maybe didn't even notice it until I said something. I know I'm not the smartest guy in the room so that is what really surprised me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    So, I liked the halftime show and thought it was very entertaining. Not trying to throw a bucket of cold water on it, but, here are a few observations:

-During Bruno's drum solo, there were drum sounds coming out of the drums when he wasn't hitting any drums.

-Flea's bass wasn't plugged in.

-In the middle of it all (While RHCP were on stage) it sounded like there were two tracks playing and the physical movements of the folks on stage was way off sync with the music.

Make your own conclusions.
    All instruments were not played live, they were pre recorded. The vocals were the only thing performed live, that's the NFL's rule.

User Info Menu

I know it happens all the time, but I think it's lame to have prerecorded tracks. What's the point of the musicians even being up there if they are just dancing along and not playing? Props to RHCP for not hiding the fact, though.

User Info Menu

I think the Broncos thought the game was pre recorded
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I can understand how you can play a guitar that is not amped and have the music overpower the small sound coming from it, but how does the drummer play without it playing over the recording? Is the music that loud on the prerecording?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TheHeadlessHorseman View Post
    how does the drummer play without it playing over the recording? Is the music that loud on the prerecording?
    Pads muting the drums and cymbals just not being heard.

User Info Menu

i can see where people would say there is a delay but think about all what it goes through it is going to be almost impossible with current day technology. I have heard of him by the song the kids sang at the begging but would have never guessed he played drums. My mom did research and said his family is very music talented. Personally real cool surprise and i think it sounded nice and was probably the best cleanest halftime show in a while. (is it just me or did anyone feel like when they repeated prepare on the stage if they are trying to secretly tell people to start prepping)
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    it's safe to say the whole thing minus the vocals was pre recorded just like the halftimes before this one and the halftimes yet to come.

The thinking being, it's gotta be right, right now.
    Yep! Heard it on the television so it must be true...
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

How about the china stand configuration? Kinda reminded me of a cartoon kit.