Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drum Lessons Crisis

User Info Menu

Default Drum Lessons Crisis

Hey all. Just a little update. I've self-taught myself on my little e-kit for about 6 months now. I've had about 3-4 lessons with a drum teacher and every time I've come out thinking 'I've just wasted my money'. It's an awful attitude to have but I'm much further ahead than what he says. The best thing he can tell me is 'don't waste your energy, play more lighter on the ride'. That's with a basic beat. Before that we did rudiments. I can play them but not lightning quick.

I don't mean to appear ignorant in these situations but how am I supposed to approach it? He knows how I can play because back in the first lesson he let me loose on the kit and praised me for keeping a steady beat. He did mention a couple of things such as raising my heel a little higher.

I'm confused. I'm from a smallish town in the UK so it's quite hard to find teachers. I did have drum lessons with a previous teacher 2-3 months ago but the travelling and cost was not worth it. Besides, the guy was about 24.

I love my drums and I really want to kick on and progress. But, times are hard and I've recently bought my own place so every £ counts. Any advice?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum lesson crisis

Quote Originally Posted by Vampires View Post
    Any advice?
    How about change your attitude. Humble yourself and realize that you don't know everything. In your own words, "It's an awful attitude to have".

User Info Menu

"further ahead than what he thinks"

ill be honest and tell you this....you cant run without walking first
    Last edited by itchie; 02-09-2014 at 11:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Vampires, my guess would be that there is a communication problem between you and the teacher. If you've only been playing for 6 months, he may be trying to assess all your basics to make sure you have everything you need to build on from there. It would be good for you to know if this is what he is thinking. Even though you've only been playing for the past 6 months, I would guess that you had a goal for taking lessons - something that you wanted to learn. You should communicate that to your teacher if you have not yet done so.

In any case, if you believe that after 6 months that you'll never find a teacher worthy of your talent, then you will be right. Make sure you are communicating with your teacher.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I like Pastor Bob's answer better than mine. I tend to be a little judgmental at times and might have jumped to conclusions. It's just that I taught for a long time and I would get guys come in now and then that would start showing off (when they weren't as good as they thought they were) and I would roll my eyes (to myself) and think, "Oh, another one of these guys". That's why my comment about humility.

But... I shouldn't have pre-judged you. You deserve the benefit of the doubt. I think it was how you worded your post that formed my opinion prematurely.

So anyway, sorry about that. I agree. Communication is paramount and if you tell your teacher exactly what you need, he might be able to deliver. But do stay open to his opinion. If he's been teaching/playing a long time, he probably knows things you don't. It involves some trust.

User Info Menu

what's up with him only being 24? my first drum teacher was about that age, he was awesome.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    what's up with him only being 24? my first drum teacher was about that age, he was awesome.
    Don't see how age is a problem too

I managed my first music school and was head drum teacher at the age of 19

I had 3 teachers and 20 of my own students

User Info Menu

every time I've come out thinking 'I've just wasted my money'.
    You might consider your need to remain in relationships that you feel "waste your money".

User Info Menu

I don't believe I'm better than I am. I appreciate the comments regarding the communication issues. But I dunno if he wants to do things my way or his way. He has a booklet on everything he covers. He's told me eventually he gets his students on backing tracks. It just seems there's a lot of lessons between here and there and thats a lot of £.

Another thing that bugs me about him; He likes to talk. I eventually get on the kit but as soon as my hour is up he'll boot me off but carry on talking to me for another half hour-45 mins. So I'll only get about 30-45 mins on the kit. Nice bloke though!

I didn't mean the 24 year old drum teacher is a negative thing. It's just different going from him to my current 55 year old teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    You might consider your need to remain in relationships that you feel "waste your money".
    Ignorance.

User Info Menu

I didn't mean the 24 year old drum teacher is a negative thing. It's just different going from him to my current 55 year old teacher.
    Hey Vampires, have you moved on from this guy now?

Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    Hey Vampires, have you moved on from this guy now?

Mark
    Yeh. He was charging £9 more for a lesson (£25) and he was also a lot further away. Great lad though. I'm only 21 myself.

Then I went to the 55 (or so) year old - that's who this thread is about.

User Info Menu

A couple things - First, the basics, like rudiments and technique, are by far the most frustrating thing to be taught. That first moment where you can play the pattern seems like the end of it, but after you've really drilled down you start to realize there's a lot more there than simply being able to play through the rudiment a couple times. I know it's frustrating, but sticking to those basic things will make you a much stronger player, and now is the time to focus on them. Going back and relearning them later, when you realize that you never developed the control you need, is tough.

That being said, the comment you made about the teacher talking through the lesson instead of teaching, is he talking about music? Practicing? Good drummers to watch? Bands to check out? Or is he talking about weather and football? Because if his "chit-chat" is about music, he might be trying to expose you to some of the more cereberal music lessons, like feel and sound and playing styles. If he's talking about music, listen a bit more carefully to what he's saying. Listen to those drummers he mentiones. If he's just shooting the breeze, though, I understand why you don't like it.

Last thing - if, in fact, this teacher's teaching style just doesn't work for you, don't limit yourself to your local teachers. You can buy a webcam and a USB microphone, and a cable to connect your e-kit to the mic jack on your computer, and you can take lessons from teachers all over the world over Skype or Facetime. I teach over Skype, a bunch of my friends have taught or taken lessons over skype as well.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    So anyway, sorry about that. I agree. Communication is paramount and if you tell your teacher exactly what you need, he might be able to deliver. But do stay open to his opinion. If he's been teaching/playing a long time, he probably knows things you don't. It involves some trust.
    I'll second that one for sure Tom.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Drumbledore - "668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast."? How did I never notice that until now? That is hilarious.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dt344 View Post
    A couple things - First, the basics, like rudiments and technique, are by far the most frustrating thing to be taught. That first moment where you can play the pattern seems like the end of it, but after you've really drilled down you start to realize there's a lot more there than simply being able to play through the rudiment a couple times. I know it's frustrating, but sticking to those basic things will make you a much stronger player, and now is the time to focus on them. Going back and relearning them later, when you realize that you never developed the control you need, is tough.

That being said, the comment you made about the teacher talking through the lesson instead of teaching, is he talking about music? Practicing? Good drummers to watch? Bands to check out? Or is he talking about weather and football? Because if his "chit-chat" is about music, he might be trying to expose you to some of the more cereberal music lessons, like feel and sound and playing styles. If he's talking about music, listen a bit more carefully to what he's saying. Listen to those drummers he mentiones. If he's just shooting the breeze, though, I understand why you don't like it.

Last thing - if, in fact, this teacher's teaching style just doesn't work for you, don't limit yourself to your local teachers. You can buy a webcam and a USB microphone, and a cable to connect your e-kit to the mic jack on your computer, and you can take lessons from teachers all over the world over Skype or Facetime. I teach over Skype, a bunch of my friends have taught or taken lessons over skype as well.
    Thanks for the reply. Usually he'll talk general chit chat or about him and his life story of drumming etc.

It baffles me because he also tells me he's been teaching for years and years and having many successful students.

I will take on board the online lessons.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dt344 View Post
    Drumbledore - "668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast."? How did I never notice that until now? That is hilarious.
    ^ Thanks man....yeah, that's my sorta humour I suppose, glad it gave yer a laugh or two. If you were the proverbial fly-on-the-wall when I'm giving lessons, well, ask my students, I can be serious when necessary, but my wise-cracking approach is why they have fun during lessons too, especially when they have to do a solid hour with me.

You raised some good points too re: chit-chat during lessons and also how fundamentals such as burning those rudiments into your brain may be frustrating at first, but they're really important. In fact every instrument as well as your voice has to be learned step by important step. The thing is though, it's how it's taught that makes or breaks lessons. And that's why whenever I have students around, whether they've been in for a few years or just started (in fact, had a new one start with me only yesterday), I always say to them "Whatever question you have, any question, no matter how silly you might think it is....ask! That's what I'm here for", and we have a ball.

At the same time though, I make sure that they're constantly learning, whether it's doing reading exercises, charts or my "cheat sheets" to a song, playing time to a drum machine/ bass pattern I might program, watching drum vids from my collection or Youtube, maybe showing them how to tune a drum of theirs or jamming with all my percussion instruments, or they get on the kit and I double up a bass line or play keyboards and just jam....going by ear, not just with notes in front of them. If they walk out the door and can honestly say they've learned something that will improve their game somehow, then it means I've done something right and they'll be back next week. And why it works is simple: open, two-way communication between us, and having a no-nonsense approach to addressing individual student needs. I'm sure that's how you work too matey, from what I recall from seeing one of your YouTube vids.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    If they walk out the door and can honestly say they've learned something that will improve their game somehow, then it means I've done something right and they'll be back next week.
    WISDOM. I'm with you.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply. Usually he'll talk general chit chat or about him and his life story of drumming etc.

It baffles me because he also tells me he's been teaching for years and years and having many successful students.

I will take on board the online lessons.
    I had teacher issues, too. I'm not currently taking lessons due to my drumless situation, but I might try the online approach. Let me know how it goes.
    "Well-behaved women rarely make history."
    -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, 1976

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Lessons Crisis

Very interesting thread on multiple levels. You guys pose good questions about expectations of lessons ( from the instructor side as well as the student aspect ) Heck, I am dating myself a bit but have been through roughly 5 drum teachers over the years due to relocation mainly and how I learn and practice have changed as I have grown. I honestly can't point to one teacher that was better than the others as it always harkened back to me and my ability to accept the instruction and implement the changes. As in life…your mileage may vary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    Very interesting thread on multiple levels. You guys pose good questions about expectations of lessons ( from the instructor side as well as the student aspect ) Heck, I am dating myself a bit but have been through roughly 5 drum teachers over the years due to relocation mainly and how I learn and practice have changed as I have grown. I honestly can't point to one teacher that was better than the others as it always harkened back to me and my ability to accept the instruction and implement the changes. As in life…your mileage may vary
    I've found that drum lessons and teachers are like relationships (friends, family, etc.). Everyone brings something different to the table. It's a good idea to embrace that diversity and learn as much as you can before moving on. Again, start from a place from humility. Remember The Karate Kid? The student had no idea where the teacher was leading him.

User Info Menu

Sage words Drummer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I've found that drum lessons and teachers are like relationships (friends, family, etc.). Everyone brings something different to the table. It's a good idea to embrace that diversity and learn as much as you can before moving on. Again, start from a place from humility. Remember The Karate Kid? The student had no idea where the teacher was leading him.
    Arigatō Thomas-san, hai!

User Info Menu

I have only had a few "lessons" from 3 different pro drummer friends, and all of them agreed on two points---1) rudiments are boring, but rudiments give you STICK CONTROL and without that you will never be a good drummer, and 2) students who can already play a little are the hardest to teach!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Arigatō Thomas-san, hai!

Drumbledore san nihongo no sugoi desu

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare