Thread: It's A Small World........

User Info Menu

Default It's A Small World........

Just something I was thinking about on the way to work today.

I found a second cousin of mine on myspace. I was searching for some high school alumni and found a girl that my brother graduated with. I contacted her and she messaged me back telling me that she and her boyfriend live in CA and that her boyfriend is my second cousin (my grand-pops brother’s grandson). I had never met him back when we lived in the same town because I have a huge Italian family (22 first cousins) so it’s not unusual that we hadn’t met. So we’ve been e-mailing back and fourth for a while now. He’s very cool and works in the music industry. He wants me to lay down some drum beats so he can incorporate them into his music. Well that’s not going to happen any time soon but I’m working on it.

Oh and one time (in band camp) LOL, no really, one time when I was in the airport in Alaska I saw a guy that looked familiar so of course I went up to him and said “Hey, I know you!” He gave me one of those looks I often get from unexpecting men LOL and said, “oh, yeah, from where?” I said, “You graduated with my brother from OCHS, didn’t you?” He then had to pick his jaw up from the floor, he couldn’t believe that I recognized him and that we were both 4,400 miles away from Jersey in the airport at the same time (I never forget a face). It really is a small world.

Anyone else have a “It’s a small world” experience? And, no, I’m not talking about Disney World LOL

Ok, I’m rambling, bye

User Info Menu

I can't think of one at the moment but I can tell you that a lot of people "think" they know me. I was at the Namm show 3 or 4 years ago and this guy stopped me and said, "Hey man, how are you doing? It's great to see you again...". I didn't know him but before I could say anything, he continued to go on and on. He was "real" excited to see me! I had never met this guy in my lifetime but I couldn't seem to get a word in edgewise and I didn't want to burst his bubble. Ha! So I just listened and nodded. I walked away not saying hardly anything. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when he ran into the real guy later and said, "Hey it was great seeing you at Namm" and that guy said, "I didn't go to Namm." LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I can't think of one at the moment but I can tell you that a lot of people "think" they know me. I was at the Namm show 3 or 4 years ago and this guy stopped me and said, "Hey man, how are you doing? It's great to see you again...". I didn't know him but before I could say anything, he continued to go on and on. He was "real" excited to see me! I had never met this guy in my lifetime but I couldn't seem to get a word in edgewise and I didn't want to burst his bubble. Ha! So I just listened and nodded. I walked away not saying hardly anything. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when he ran into the real guy later and said, "Hey it was great seeing you at Namm" and that guy said, "I didn't go to Namm." LOL

See, I knew you were famous!!!!! LOL

User Info Menu

well a friend of mine turned out to be my distant cousin. His mom's uncle was my grandpa's cousin or something like that.
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

and oh yeah my English teacher back in Highschool turned out to be my distant Grandpa. He's grandma and my grandma were cousins.
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

i've had several small world freaky experiences. ran into a guy i went to middleschool with in california at a mall in beaumont texas. one of the first people i met when i moved to kansas used to live in my old town in cali. and used to follow my old band around. met a local dude named lee
    (worshiphammer) on a drum forum...ect.

it really is a small world.

User Info Menu

p.s. i'm my own grandpa.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    p.s. i'm my own grandpa.
    LOL!

You really know WorshipHammer?

User Info Menu

I found a second cousin of mine sitting in front of me at church choir, and we didn't even know it. I knew her maiden name was the same as my last name, but we didn't think we were related. I met her father at her birthday party, and he asked me who he might know in the family, I mentioned my grandfather, and he knew right where my Grandfather lived in the city. Turns out my Grandfather was his Uncle, so he and my father were first cousins. We had known each other for years didn't realize we were related.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Church Drummer View Post
    I found a second cousin of mine sitting in front of me at church choir, and we didn't even know it. I knew her maiden name was the same as my last name, but we didn't think we were related. I met her father at her birthday party, and he asked me who he might know in the family, I mentioned my grandfather, and he knew right where my Grandfather lived in the city. Turns out my Grandfather was his Uncle, so he and my father were first cousins. We had known each other for years didn't realize we were related.
    Wow, that's really cool.........

You never know, some of the people on here may be related.

I hope I'm not related to drummer LOL

User Info Menu

When i was in college, one of the girls that lived a few doors down in the dorm called me "cousin" one night. She told me that there was a Niles in her family too, but since her last name was Gates, and she came from Virginia, while my relatives were from Illinois, I thought she was kidding. When i went home at Christmas, I talked to my dad about it and he told me that there had been twins Niles brothers who lived in Illinois, but one of them moved to Virginia. It turned out that the girl in the dorm was a cousin! A small world indeed!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    When i was in college, one of the girls that lived a few doors down in the dorm called me "cousin" one night. She told me that there was a Niles in her family too, but since her last name was Gates, and she came from Virginia, while my relatives were from Illinois, I thought she was kidding. When i went home at Christmas, I talked to my dad about it and he told me that there had been twins Niles brothers who lived in Illinois, but one of them moved to Virginia. It turned out that the girl in the dorm was a cousin! A small world indeed!
    That's really cool PB......

User Info Menu

My dad reckons we're possibly related to that old president Woodrow Wilson.
    I lol'd.
    Then he hit me with the facts, I still lol'd just not as hard.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    LOL!

You really know WorshipHammer?
    yeah! i got to meet him last week at one of my shows. he seems like as really nice guy in person too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    yeah! i got to meet him last week at one of my shows. he seems like as really nice guy in person too.
    That is really cool........ Did he get to see you play?

User Info Menu

Well I have many of those but for now I'll just say two.

When I first moved to Nashville from Washington State I started dating a girl after some months. She had just came back from a missions trip from Central America with an organization called YWAM. She was showing me some pictures and I saw a girl from my home church in WA that I've seen when I lived there, but never met! She told me her name was Megan and I was like "ya I heard of her". A few years later I found out Megan married my youth pastor which I was very good friends with at the time. Years later I still haven't met her. Kinda crazy.

Another small world I had was when I first moved to LA. I was at a Bible study and met this guy from Denmark. We talked for quite awhile and started talking about music. I asked him if he knew of a certain band from Copenhagen. He said "ya I know those guys ,they're one of my favorite Danish bands". I then called my best friend Joel which was the drummer for the band and gave the phone to this guy. He asked me who that guy was and I said "it's the drummer for one of you favorite Danish bands". He was floored...

I have many more of these stories that I'll share some other time. Blessings...

User Info Menu

Wow MM!

I love hearing these stories.........

User Info Menu

Cool stories Middleman! I think it's very cool to hear the stories from those that are inside of the music business (even though I am aware that are also stories of the ugly side of things - I talked to Deborah Harry once).
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Pastor Bob and Drummer Chick, cause you liked my stories I'm inspired to say one more ....ok two...if that's ok.

I was still livin in Nashville,was on tour and had a show in Columbus Ohio. After the show we stayed at the host band's house as well as a band from Grand Rapids Michigan. We were all hangin out and for some reason we got on the subject of Turrets ( I hope that's the right spelling). I told the band from Michigan that I had a friend in Nashville that has it and he does the funniest things. He even makes fun of himself and jokes around with it. The guys asked me his name and I told them but before I could say his last name they said it. I was like you know of him? They said ya we grew up with him in Grand Rapids.....tell em we said hi.

OK now just one more....sorry maybe I'm hogging this thread hehe.

There's a girl that lives in Sweden that I've talked to online for quite a few years. Even though I've never met her she's a good online friend and we used to chat alot. Anyways over a couple of years ago she moved to Dallas to go to Bible School for a year. Sometime after that she told me there was a certain concert she was goin to go see. My roomate was on tour at the time and I thought nothing of it. Then I realized after checking his tour dates he was going to Dallas and was in the band that was the opening act! She just happened to meet the "bald" guitarist after the show, which happened to be my roomate. Stephen called me and he was like "dude there's this cute Swedish chick that thinks I look familiar". I was like oh that's the girl I've been talking to online when you're at home. I did remember showing her a pic of him cause I was managing his other band at the time and I showed her the 8x10. Plus he used to be in a band called Sonic Flood/Jeff Deyo Band (which she told me she likes) so I thought she might know him from there also.

To top it off on that same tour I got a call from my ex in Nashville saying that her ex in North Carolina was going to the show of my roomate's band. She called her ex and told him about me in LA and my roomie being in the band he was goin to see!

Back to the Swedish girl.......I just talked to her the other day and she's now going to Bible school in Lakeland Florida where one of my buddies from Nashville (originally from Lakeland)is going as well....I'm sure they've seen each other. It's a small school. whew.....I'm tired of typing! Thanks for listening. Blessings....

User Info Menu

Cool MM, very cool...... I'm glad I started this thread, I love hearing these kind of stories