Thread: drum heads and cold

User Info Menu

Default drum heads and cold

i currently have my drums inside my house and was thinking of keeping them in the garage, and band practice but for the next month or so it gets cold like on the 20 -30 at night.. does that effect the drum heads ? i assume it might but don't know for sure so who knows?
    Kreg
    First concert the Beatles 1966
    Love to rock and roll with my set of Rogers

User Info Menu

Default Re: drum heads and cold

It will knock them out of tune thats about it.

User Info Menu

I've kept a kit in an unheated garage at our practice space for 7 years now. The wrap is jacked up but the heads and cymbals are fine. Nothing broken. The temp swing will probably warp the wrap if yours are but you should be fine.

It's a risk but I haven't had any adverse effects to heads or cymbals. The drums are a cheap Tama Swingstar and meant to be a practice kit so I don't care about the wrap situation.

User Info Menu

Would it hurt them? Not sure but it can't be good for them. By the time you see it wasn't a good idea it may be to late, damage done. And I understand you would warm up the garage before you start playing.

I can pretty much tell what the temperature in our house is by the sounds of my drums. To the point I almost want to keep a small space heater on my drums on jam nights because it just sounds so much better.

User Info Menu

Don't know if this is the right answer but how about covering up the drums with something that breath and using a small heater on low just enough to keep it at 40 degrees. The reason I say this is that my kit is in a Bunkie 8x12 and I have one of those oiled filled heaters that I keep at 40 degree and it does not affect the head tuning at all. when I go in to play I just crank it up a bit till I am comfortable.

User Info Menu

Okay thanks. For the info. Will see about a heater.
    Kreg

User Info Menu

Been there, done that, got the tee shirt.

Seriously, my first sets (Kents and Ludwigs) sat in my Grandfathers workshed. The temps would get in your range. Didn't hurt the drums, but I took the Zildjians inside at night.

User Info Menu

Plastic heads don't really shrink or expand much in temperature changes. Yes... to a degree they do, but compared to a calf skin head, mylar heads are much more constant. I kept my DW's in a shed and garage for a few years down in North Carolina. Hot humid summers, 30 degree winters. Drums show no ill effect from the weathering.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Thanks
    Kreg