Thread: Ringing Cymbals...

User Info Menu

Exclamation Ringing Cymbals...

Hey, all! I'm pretty new here, but thought if I have a question, this is the place to go.
    My Cymbals have a very long ring. Is there any way to make it ring for a shorter time? I've heard of sticking some tape on the cymbals, will that actually work? And how do you stick it on, at the bottom of the cymbals?
    Haha, I hope someone understands what I'm saying!
    If there's any suggestions, please help! Thanx!!
    In truth, Rock music is the most pure and honest art form ever born.

Realx... I'm a drummer...
    Girl Drummers are Amazing!!

User Info Menu

Duct tape baby!

No seriously, you can use a strip of tape on the cymbal to get some of the ring out. Of course it doesn't always look pretty.

Welcome to Drum Chat. I hope you'll stick around and be an active member. You'll like it here! If we can ever help, let us know.

User Info Menu

Thanx, I'll try that. As long as it sounds pretty, I'm happy! haha!

Thank you! I think you're right, I will like it here! Will def. let you know if I need some help!!

User Info Menu

You already got a good answer, so I'll just say good to see you came back DummerGirl*.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Welcome Drummergirl*! Our illustrious leader, the one and only Drummer has given you the best and most effective answer... Duct Tape. A small piece or two placed on the cymbal will alleviate some of the ring or "sustain" that you have in your cymbal(s). Then again, you may be utilizing the wrong type of cymbal for the application you're using it for. Perhaps a smaller crash or splash, which has a shorter choke, would be more in line what your looking for? Just a thought.

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

maybe try to tighten the cymbol and use 2 felt pads..

User Info Menu

You've got to be careful about tightening the cymbals to much. They should be able to swing with the sticking, or they could end up cracking.

Whoa! I just noticed that I've gone over 2,000 posts! I've got to get a life.
    Last edited by pastor_bob; 09-26-2007 at 11:48 PM.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Whoa! I just noticed that I've gone over 2,000 posts! I've got to get a life.
    no pb you dont we like this life you have. its vary healthy, you get to help people, you get to aliviate the built up pressure of evil by corutping wishes, what else could you need, we even have social interaction.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Thanx to everyone for the help!
    Thanx Pastor Bob, good to be back!
    Stix, you are right, my cymbals aren't the right cymbals for what I need, but I don't have the cash at the moment to buy any extra's. So I'm trying to get around actually having to buy until I have more money and can get some quality cymbals at a later stage...

User Info Menu

Thanx to everyone for the advice!
    Thank you Pastor Bob, it's fun being here!
    Stix, you are right. My cymbals aren't exactly right for what I need, but I don't have the cash at the moment to buy any extra's. So I'm trying to get by with what I have until I've saved up enough cash for some quality cymbals... Thanx for the advice, though!!

User Info Menu

Default Moongel!!

Get some moongel it is great I use it on my snare and low toms sometimes I will throw one on the ride to settle it down it comes off and can be moved around to get the sound you are looking for !
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
    Get some moongel it is great I use it on my snare and low toms sometimes I will throw one on the ride to settle it down it comes off and can be moved around to get the sound you are looking for !
    That sounds like it might work, but not sure where I can find moongel in South Africa... but I'll look around a bit!!

User Info Menu

Default moongel

do you have a local music store ?
    E Drums !! !

User Info Menu

Not in my town, in Cape Town there's a place I usually go, but it's about an hour's drive. So I'll check in there when I head back that way. I go there often, so I probably won't have to wait too long to find out if they have moongel. Hopefully they will know what I'm talking about! hahaha!

User Info Menu

Default moongel

I like it because you can move it around while playing to get the sound you want.
    E Drums !! !

User Info Menu

Another thing you can consider is getting some clear plastic cabinet door stops. They are little nubs of round plastic that cabinet makers place on the back of cabinet doors to silence them when they are closed . You can buy these at home improvment stores. Anyway they will work similar to moongel only they may slightly be more attactive due to their uniformity in shape. They come with adhesive on the back so they will just stick to your cymbals. All of the ideas mentioned will do the trick to stop ringing, it is just a matter of how good or bad each different suggestion looks to you.

User Info Menu

The other nice thing about moon gel is no sticky tape residue to remove when you take it off.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Moongel works quite well on cymbals, almost as effective as it is on drums. I like to use it on my ride, it gives a nice sharp, short bell sound.

Other than that, you can tighten the wing nuts of your stands, or increase the number of felts, but you need to be careful as the tighter they are, the more tendancy they have to bend, crack or even split. Particularly with larger cymbals.
    My Kit
    Yamaha DTXpress III, Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute, Yamaha Hardware, DW Pedals, Zildjian A Custom, K and ZHT Cymbals. Vic Firth Sticks.
    2 Years of Saving. Worth Every Day.

User Info Menu

If you have a cymbal that is washy or with a lot of overtones, I don't think you can control them by tighteing the wingnuts on the stand. Cymbal felts were designed not to chock a cymbal on the stand. that was there intended use to let the cymbal vibrate unfetterd. Moongel or something similar is the only way to curb it. An I would place it on the bottom of the cymbal so that you don't knock it off with a drum stick.

User Info Menu

I like my cymbals at the mo, they ring for the perfect amount of time and I love them. My splash cymbal is actually split, so I kept that one and bought a new one. Dpending on the sound I want I use either one