Thread: Protective Drum Bags

User Info Menu

Default Protective Drum Bags

Anyone here have experience with AHEAD ARMOR bags ?

Because I have two old fiber cases that are falling apart (both purchased in 1977), I ordered today, a bag for my 14 X 24 bass drum and a bag for my 16X 18 floor tom.
    I transport my own kit in my own SUV and I no longer need fiber cases for the bass and floor tom -- my snare and two other toms are in a metal flight case that is still holding up well.

I went looking for a Gator for my bass drum (I have a Gator for a snare that is a nice and inexpensive bag), but they do not make a bag larger than a 22 inch so I was forced to look elsewhere...............the Ahead bags looked like they were well thought-out.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Protective Drum Bags

I have a couple of Ahead drum bags. I bought them mainly because how they open/unzip and close... They also have plenty of room for GTS rims mount type systems. But these are the most durable bags I have seen.. very thick and plenty of padding... much heftier than my Tuxedo bags for sure. They are a bit more expensive but worth the $$ IMO.
    Gretsch Renown RN1 ~ Silver Oyster Pearl

User Info Menu

I never tried the Aheads only the Gator and they make a 24x18 size.

I really can't use mine anymore though. If playing out regularly they will get worn pretty quickly. I guess I was in a hurry one too many times tearing down and trying to get the kick into the bag. One of the spurs went through the nylon inside and made it near useless to use. It just became more of a hassle trying to get it into the bag then it was worth. I miss the easy transport with the straps but if it's going to be in n out in n out a lot you'll need to be really careful not to tear the inside.

My Gator snare bags are doing really well though.
    Last edited by slinky; 02-15-2014 at 05:44 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I have SKB drum bags and for the $'s they're pretty good.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

I have a set of Ahead Armor bags & they are excellent. They feel very sturdy & are easy to use. The extra long zips also make it easy to get the drums in & out of, though when you are putting the BD in you may need to either get someone to help or do the zip up a bit, as the sheer size of the case can mean it wobbles a bit.
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kickinit View Post
    I have a couple of Ahead drum bags. I bought them mainly because how they open/unzip and close... They also have plenty of room for GTS rims mount type systems. But these are the most durable bags I have seen.. very thick and plenty of padding... much heftier than my Tuxedo bags for sure. They are a bit more expensive but worth the $$ IMO.
    Good news............thamks.

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I never tried the Aheads only the Gator and they make a 24x18 size.
    I suppose the company I bought from did not carry a 24" because it was not an available option............thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by EyePea View Post
    I have SKB drum bags and for the $'s they're pretty good.
    Yes............a very popular brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodeska View Post
    I have a set of Ahead Armor bags & they are excellent. They feel very sturdy & are easy to use. The extra long zips also make it easy to get the drums in & out of, though when you are putting the BD in you may need to either get someone to help or do the zip up a bit, as the sheer size of the case can mean it wobbles a bit.
    This is great news..........I'm looking forward to getting these.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Protection Racket. Well made. Durable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Protection Racket. Well made. Durable.
    +1. With the exception of my cymbal case (which is a Hardcase) I use Protection Racket for everything including hardware. Had the same set for 11 yrs with no issues.

However, I've heard great things about the Ahead bags so I'm sure you'll be very pleased with them.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatDrummer View Post
    I use Protection Racket for everything including hardware. Had the same set for 11 yrs with no issues.
    Yes............I also had recommendations for these and I did look into them.
    Very impressive as well.............
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I've got DrumSeeker bags. Good quality and a decent price. I have a couple that are smaller sizes than the drums they're on, and they fit a little better. So they should have plenty of room for any oddball brackets or anything.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Sounds like you got just what you needed Ricardo, so congrats on the new bags. I have hard shell cases, because as a pastor I have to pack up my stuff and move occasionally. When I do, it is not uncommon for the church members to help with loading. I want to make sure my gear is fully protected. When I take the kit to a gig, I sure wish I had the bags, though.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Got the floor tom bag delivered today..............looks very good.
    I suspect the bass drum bag (due to be delivered tomorrow) will be the same.

These bags are recommended to anyone that can do without the hard cases.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I've checked out the Ahead bags at a local store, they look really nice. My first choice for cases would be SKB hard cases but for soft cases these look really good.

User Info Menu

Just read the title for this post. Protective drum bags. Is there another kind of which I have not heard? Non protective bags? Why would anyone use them?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zickos View Post
    Just read the title for this post. Protective drum bags. Is there another kind of which I have not heard? Non protective bags? Why would anyone use them?
    They all claim to be protective.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I have now received both bags............FYI -- these are the best soft drum cases I have ever seen :

Heavy duty -- top notch zippers -- reinforced handles -- soft inner liners -- shaped to handle the drum and the mount -- cut to ease the load of the drum into the bag................well thought-out.

Now we will see how well they hold up over the years.
    Last edited by Ricardo; 02-20-2014 at 11:36 AM.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

My local shop started selling them last year. I needed two more for the bigger set and looked at them. They were top notch but I decided to stay with Protection Rackets. Mainly because I'm anal about being and looking organized since the rest of my bags were PRs.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

I bought an ahead armor 24 x 18 case 2 years ago and when pulling my bass drum out of my car the day after my gig last sunday morning one of the straps tore away from the bag. It may have something to do with the temperature which was about 15 degrees fahrenheit at the time. This has been a reallygreat bag, and I would buy another. The wife may be able to fix it but not sure if possible and she cannot get to it anytime soon. I sent an email to Ahead telling them the story and that I have the original receipt, pics and such but not sure if they will or can do anything about it. I never checked what the warranty to the original buyer is. I will post the response when I get it. ahead.jpg
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I have ahead cases for all my drums and I really like them. They are well built and even fit my optimounts easily

User Info Menu

I have 2 sets of SKB bags for my gigging sets since I don't gig often and I handle all my own gear. When I got my DW kit I started looking into hard cases and better bags and got an ahead snare bag to see how I liked it. I'm really impressed with it and I think it offers greater protection than other bags for a marginal increase in price, and while they don't protect as well as hard cases they take up less room, weigh less and cost much less. I think they are a great solution for someone like me who doesn't gig too frequently and doesn't have to entrust others with his gear.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post
    I've got DrumSeeker bags. Good quality and a decent price. I have a couple that are smaller sizes than the drums they're on, and they fit a little better. So they should have plenty of room for any oddball brackets or anything.
    Agree--I really like my Drum Seekers. But I will say I just bought one to replace my Tuxedo bass bag and when it came it was way heavier than I'd imagined. I sent it back for another Tuxedo, (because I'm getting too old to haul around unnecessary weight) but I use Drum Seekers on my toms.
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

I have Gator, Protection Racket, H&R Tuxedo, and recently bought a 14"x14" 16"x16" and 16"x18" Bag by RoadRunner. They are very nice bags, with nice generous plush padding. They also have glow in the dark rubber Bag size numbers so you can see which bag you have in a dim lit situation. Also a net type outside space to hold something. Sheet music, etc. I like them . They have them at Guitar Center.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

Wish I could find bags whose zipper grabby things don't break.