Thread: Recording drums with an iPhone

User Info Menu

Default Recording drums with an iPhone

So, the lack of a budget has struck again and my bandmates require a recording of the drumtrack I recently wrote for the song the band's going to record a demo for. What do I do?

I pick up my iPhone and record my drumset. As unrealistic as it seems, I think I got away with it pretty well. Let me explain the process.

At first, I made sure everything was tuned up so that the resonance would not distort the microphone too much (of course, it's an iPhone mic; you won't get away with a perfectly clean recording. But every little thing helps.)
    Then, I stapled three to four pillows in front of my kickdrum, to help it muffle.
    I placed the iPhone behind a fifth pillow with the microphone facing the drumkit.
    So I would have:

*4 pillows* -sound---> *1 pillow* iPhone

Then I went to play my track and after the recording finished, I loaded the file into Audacity (which is available for free) and cranked up the stereo and the reverb so that it would seem as a much bigger recording room.

I am pretty happy with the results. However, this recording is not gonna make it into the demo. It's just a stepping stone so that the guitarist and the singer know how the song is going.

Next week, we will record the actual drumpart in our rehearsal room (which we can't access now due to vacation) with the semi-professional microphone that is laying around there.
    copy and Paiste

User Info Menu

Default Re: Recording drums with an iPhone

If it works then it works.

User Info Menu

an Iphone?.....................Let's hear it

User Info Menu

i found for me that i put my phone aways under pillow behind a chair with a solid back in my basement that i get a good clear but not pro sound it took a lot of playing and testing with room acoustics i would definitely say and agree with you that iPhone can record drums but not good. when i have more money i think i will personally invest in a zoon not sure on model yet maybe by that time they will be cheaper and better.
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

you can buy good stereo mic attachments for iphones now

rode and a few others make them might make more sense to get this rather an a zoom that can give you the same result

User Info Menu

I record myself playing the kit from time to time using the voice memo app on my iPhone. I just set the iPhone in the room and press record. No pillows no nothing. Sounds surprisingly good.

User Info Menu

We recorded our entire EP on an iPhone so the engineer had "demo" versions of what we planned to record. Does it sound good? Not really, but you can hear each instrument enough to give him an idea of what we were going for.

User Info Menu

i did it before in a practice room i spent about £30 on a tascam iXZ and used a cheap vocal mic plugged into it to record the drums
    | Yamaha Stage Custom | Sabian AAX | Dream |

User Info Menu

no, lets not....prefer a real recording
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

We use an iPhone to record whole rehearsals............

User Info Menu

It might not be the best for the album but you can get some good sounds with an iPhone. I've found the acoustics of the room have a lot to do with it in addition to the drumkit being tuned up well.