Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
Pretty much whats been said so far, I like the idea of recording practices and then playing them back while everyone is in the same room. I learned alot from that as well as the rest of the band.

Sounds like your all friends so you should be able to mention a few things easily enough, My band has no problem telling me when I am off but I usually recognize it as well so it's like yeah I know..LOL

If he does not realize his mistakes after listening to some recordings than I don't know what to tell ya, you have to mention it to him in a nice way and see if he can fix it. If my band felt like that about me I would want to know about it as I am sure anyone would. Maybe you can post some video's of your band on youtube and let people outside of the band make some comments about the band as a whole. Of course have the delete button ready as some comments are not helpful to anyone but most are decent people who comment only to help. I know I do.
I recorded myself playing along to a drumless track with and then without metronome this morning. Simple stuff that I've been playing for about 3 months - I had them down.

Listening to the recording afterwards it was obvious that my "inner clock" isn't a particularly good timekeeper. What came more of a shock was - I flam when I don't intend to - using kick and crash simultaneously - also with toms. When I do flam deliberately I've been hitting the grace note on the count and the main note afterwards (hope I've explained that correctly). This mistake and many, many more..

I'm obviously not ready to progress yet and need to go back and review what I believed I had already learned. Listening to a recording of myself was a bit of a brutal wake up call. Hopefully I can resolve these nasty habits of mine before they become ingrained.

Thanks for posting, great advice.