Drum Domains
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Bent lug bolt.

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Default Bent lug bolt.

    I recently bought a brand new Ludwig 8" x 14" Supralight metal snare back in January. I was in the process of changing out the heads today and noticed that one of the lug bolts is bent. Not terribly, but you can see the bend as well as feel it when unscrewing it. I don't see any other obvious damage in the area. What could have caused this and should I be worried that something else is going on? I couldn't find a way to contact Ludwig directly, so I e-mailed the people that I bought the snare off of.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad






    C C Militia

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Bent lug bolt.

    It might have got bent when his wife threw his drum kit out the window.

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Bent lug bolt.

    Well you can narrow it down to a few places. Where it was put together, shipping transit to store or at the store, if! it was damaged by someone but I'm thinking they just put the bolt in not noticing the defect. Doesn't sound like anything else could be going on to me.

    I think I told you I got the BM6.5 last year and wont play it until I get that junk throwoff switched out. It sounds great for about two songs then it gets all out of whack.

    How's the 8" depth sounding? nice and loud?
    Last edited by slinky; 02-19-2014 at 08:11 AM.
    RED DIRT MOUNTAIN
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian REGAL TiP

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Bent lug bolt.

    Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    I recently bought a brand new Ludwig 8" x 14" Supralight metal snare back in January. I was in the process of changing out the heads today and noticed that one of the lug bolts is bent. Not terribly, but you can see the bend as well as feel it when unscrewing it. I don't see any other obvious damage in the area. What could have caused this and should I be worried that something else is going on? I couldn't find a way to contact Ludwig directly, so I e-mailed the people that I bought the snare off of.
    Sounds to me like you have memories of a bicycle spoke that went bad and caused a chain reaction for other spokes to go bad. Fix the bent lug or replace it and you'll be fine.

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Bent lug bolt.

    Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    It might have got bent when his wife threw his drum kit out the window.
    LOL. I bought brand new from a store. She must have been the She-Hulk, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Well you can narrow it down to a few places. Where it was put together, shipping transit to store or at the store, if! it was damaged by someone but I'm thinking they just put the bolt in not noticing the defect. Doesn't sound like anything else could be going on to me.

    I think I told you I got the BM6.5 last year and wont play it until I get that junk throwoff switched out. It sounds great for about two songs then it gets all out of whack.

    How's the 8" depth sounding? nice and loud?
    That's what I was thinking as well. Can't imagine a force that would do that without leaving additional damage in the area. Must have been a faulty bolt to begin with. Yeah, that's it.

    Yeah, it's a monster. Children and small animals go running away when it goes off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray on the Drums View Post
    Sounds to me like you have memories of a bicycle spoke that went bad and caused a chain reaction for other spokes to go bad. Fix the bent lug or replace it and you'll be fine.

    I'll put it in the vice and straighten it out.
    Last edited by wolvie56; 02-19-2014 at 11:31 AM.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad






    C C Militia

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Bent lug bolt.

    Just got a return e-mail. Ludwig sent out a replacement bolt. This is what he said about how common these events occur.

    "We've seen bent rods on drums from various manufacturers before. Sometimes these issues slip by QC on import drums like this. Fortunately Ludwig is a good company that responds quickly to issues like this, so you should be rockin in no time!"

    I feel much better now!
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad






    C C Militia

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Bent lug bolt.

    Are chinese-made drums better because they have a name brand behind them? I would like to say yes, but I would rather not wait for replacement parts when I spend my hard-earned money :(

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Bent lug bolt.

    Quote Originally Posted by hippychip View Post
    Are chinese-made drums better because they have a name brand behind them? I would like to say yes, but I would rather not wait for replacement parts when I spend my hard-earned money :(
    I would hope the "name" company would have a good QA/QC department to ensure there rep doesn't get ruined..........

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Bent lug bolt.

    Quote Originally Posted by hippychip View Post
    Are chinese-made drums better because they have a name brand behind them? I would like to say yes, but I would rather not wait for replacement parts when I spend my hard-earned money :(
    This is the situation that we all got roped into. As soon as it was deemed legal to send manufacturing overseas, almost every company jumped at the chance to produce their products at minimal cost due to the cheaper labor force. Which in turn weakened this country. But as long as they're making 90% profit, they could care less. So no, their not any better. In fact if they are not governed by Ludwig representatives every step of the way in the Chinese factories, the quality would go way down I'm sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    I would hope the "name" company would have a good QA/QC department to ensure there rep doesn't get ruined..........
    There are Q.C. breakdowns with every companies manufacturing process. The trick is to minimize the mistakes. Which is harder to do when it's in a foreign country. It's their decision to be pigs and trade maximum profit verses keeping it a totally American product made in America, by Americans, like it was in the beginning. Whatever happens to their rep is fully deserved.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad






    C C Militia

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Bent lug bolt.

    Had this happen before, just took it off and straightened it out with a plastic mallet on the work bench.

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Bent lug bolt.

    Failing all else they cost less than a buck apiece in a package!!

    all the best...

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Bent lug bolt.

    Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Failing all else they cost less than a buck apiece in a package!!

    all the best...
    Naw. I'd rather make them get it right. They have more money than I'll ever see in my lifetime. They can afford it.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad






    C C Militia

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Bent lug bolt.

    http://www.chinalawblog.com/2011/08/...ontrol_qc.html

    Its stupid that everything is being contracted into China. But whatever hot button topic I suppose, so that is all.
    Last edited by slinky; 02-20-2014 at 11:39 PM.
    RED DIRT MOUNTAIN
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian REGAL TiP

  14. #14

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Bent lug bolt.

    Yeah, I'll get into trouble if I continue any further. But we can blame our politicians for turning our country into an import only consumers nation that produces nothing.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad






    C C Militia

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •