Thread: Tuning snare drum - Drum Tuning

User Info Menu

Default Tuning snare drum - Drum Tuning

Hey, I have a Gretsch Catalina Maple snare drum, 14x5.5 I just got puresound snare wires for it, I was wondering does anyone have any advice how to tune it to get a nice crack out of it? at the moment I have both heads and the snare wires quite tight thanks!
    "I don’t think a drummer should have to show off to get noticed. You’re like the conductor of a train. You keep the train on the tracks – let everybody else worry about everything else.” -Nathan Followill.

Grear List
    Cymbals: Zildjian K
    15" Light Hi Hats
    14" Hi Hats
    18" Dark Thin Crash
    19" Dark Thin Crash
    22" Light Ride
    Drum Kit: Gretsch Catalina Maple
    12/14/20
    Snare: Ludwig
    Epic 14"x5.5 Soon to be upgraded.

Keep the Peace!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tuning snare drum

To tell you the truth I don't think that you will get a nice crack out of it. Number one Maple shell are warm and soft sound compared to the Metal shell that will give you that snap, crackle and pop. I have both and use my Metal snare more cause it is brighter and louder than my Maple. Maybe you will get other opinions on this.

User Info Menu

Pearl is right on here. That drum is what it is. A decent quality instrument. You should be able to make it sound pretty good but it will always sound like a maple snare. Bonhams method for tuning his snare is effective and easy. Start by taking off the snares and heads. Next put the bottom head on finger tight to a quarter turn so there are no wrinkles. Now turn one bolt five times move directly across and turn five times move one right turn five times move directly across and turn five times. When you've gone around completely tap at the edge of the drum. Find the highest pitched bolt and tune all others to it again using a star pattern (always tune up, never down). Turn the drum over and repeat with the batter head. Replace the snares and off you go. Now you can de-tune the batter head a couple turns for a low fat sound, a couple turns up will give you a nice middle tuning, or couple more and you will get a bright snappy high sound. One note: every drum is different so five turns might be a little to much or not quite enough, but generally this method works really well.
    Last edited by SunDog; 02-23-2014 at 12:58 PM.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

TAMA all the way

User Info Menu

What works for me is a simple, thin, tight batter head and tight but not chokingly tight wires, maybe 16 strands with middle 4 removed(6////6) or even 13" wires for 14" snare with center 4 cut out.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

like some other Gretsch drums the Catalina's may have a 30 rounded edge, im not sure but if that's the case i will say i have had difficulty getting any really sharp crack out of such drums... not to say you cant get em to sound good, but crack is not exactly their thing, my maple Tama Artwood on the other hand could almost pass for a metal snare drum if your eyes are closed.
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

User Info Menu

Thanks all who replied, I might just stick with keeping both heads and the snare wires pretty tight for now.
    "I don’t think a drummer should have to show off to get noticed. You’re like the conductor of a train. You keep the train on the tracks – let everybody else worry about everything else.” -Nathan Followill.

Grear List
    Cymbals: Zildjian K
    15" Light Hi Hats
    14" Hi Hats
    18" Dark Thin Crash
    19" Dark Thin Crash
    22" Light Ride
    Drum Kit: Gretsch Catalina Maple
    12/14/20
    Snare: Ludwig
    Epic 14"x5.5 Soon to be upgraded.

Keep the Peace!

User Info Menu

Trade it in on Metal snare. Not being smart just Maple is what it is. Or get yourself Chad Smith signature snare will give you what you want for cheap. Other snares also but seems these are on the cheap on that internet place lol

User Info Menu

i have no problems with getting a nice crack from my maple snares

make sure the wires are not to tight and the heads are tuned so the resonate head is higher

like slinglander suggested take out the middle strands to get more strainer tightness with out extra buzz

User Info Menu

Get a Pearl T-key that is usually used to tune marching drums, and get Remo EmperorX Coated abtter snare drum head, and get a Evans 300 Hazy drum head. I know you probly should match the heads with one brand but I got these heads for a maple snare drum and tuned it with a t-key and it sounded snappen, crappin' , and a poppin'. P.S. Tune higher than usual.

User Info Menu

Puresound makes an "Equalizer" wire that has the middle wires "removed" and it gives you a tight crisp sound .. I think they call it a "dry" sound. Ive used those wires for a long time and love em. Also helps reduce "snare buzz". My starclassic bubinga elite snare has a "Gunshot type Crack" that equals any metal snare and is as loud as any metal snare Ive ever played. Gotta love Tama's craftmanship~~!
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

I have a Gretsch Catalina maple snare 14x6. I just changed my batter head to a remo CS coated. Now I got this head because I read in a drum mag that this head would give me that wet soggy sound lol. I don't like that ringy snare sound at all. I don't have the resonate head too tight and I have also loosen the tension on the snare wires. Is there any way to dampened my snare to get that Kind of sound? I know a lot of guys use tape. Any advise?
    Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    What works for me is a simple, thin, tight batter head and tight but not chokingly tight wires, maybe 16 strands with middle 4 removed(6////6) or even 13" wires for 14" snare with center 4 cut out.
    Didnt know if you knew about Puresound snare wires, but they produce a high quality snare wire set with the middle wires already removed - in a 12 or 16 strand configuration - the are called the "Equalizer" wire series. I have both sets and swap them out on my Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14 x 6.5 snare, depending on the gig.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

User Info Menu

Here's an idea for ya - go on YouTube - type in Drum Center of Portsmouth snare drum tuning. The guy there is tuning up a brand new snare drum - and fast forward to the end of it so you can hear what his tuning sounds like - - if you like it - then go back to the beginning and when he gets to the tuning of the Reso head, try and get your snare head tuned up to approximately the same pitch or tone - then follow the video on to his tuning of the batter head. If you dont like the sound he gets ...YouTube has a ton of different drummers tuning their snare drums - find someone tuning up a Maple snare - metal snares produce more "crack" than most wood snares.
    Just a suggestion - - its a way for your ears to decide what sound you like on a snare - and the video that shows you how to get that sound.

scottyp is offline Senior Member (Respected Chatter)

User Info Menu

for a good crack i usualy keep my reso skin on the bottom tighter. I have the top pretty tight.. then back it off a tad... toss on some moon gel and never have a problem with getting a nice crack.