Thread: Question about teaching

User Info Menu

Default Question about teaching

Might anyone be able to give me any advice on how to keep lessons for an 8 year old fun and engaging, while still being productive?
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Default Re: Question about teaching

this
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    just remember to take the lessons as slow as the student needs them and be patient with them

this is how i break down my lessons in 30 minuet blocks

5 minuets warm up
    10 minuets on rudiments
    15 minuets on grooves and fills
    last 5 minuets on home work for the week

or this way

10 minuets rudiments
    10 minuets sticking exercises
    10 minuets grooves,fills etc

User Info Menu

At what age can a child understand rhythm and tap quarter notes on a drum in time to a song?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    At what age can a child understand rhythm and tap quarter notes on a drum in time to a song?
    Very young. Just look up 4 year old drummer on youtube.
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

One option is to ask him to bring in one song per month (assuming weekly lessons) that he wants to learn.
    All other time will be spent on the conventional pedagogy.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Most kids under the age of twelve have a very short attention span. Even if they are well-behaved, you can bore them quickly. As shown above, short ten minute segments help things stay fresh and keeps them interested.

When I do a song with a student ....we may spend the entire 30/60 minute lesson on the song parts. Which to some may seem long and involved. What I do is section the song out, and have section "a" "b" "c" etc..this way, even though we are only focusing on a song during the lesson, we are only spending ten minutes on "objective #1" - which is the first four measures, then "objective b" - which may be the next four, etc etc.

Important to note that I may not teach the song in chronological order. I'm not afraid to begin with the ending, or the fills first. Why not?

It's all about mindset and keeping them from getting bored, frustrated, and un-interested. Sometimes learning is boring and bland...but if the teacher tries to keep things challenging, fresh and sets simpler expectations on a shorter time frame, he can make their learning experience very goal oriented, fun and rewarding.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

I'd think after a few lessons anyway...if a drum teacher who also played a guitar, pulled
    it out for the last half of the lessons would be a big help and keep the students attention.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ray on the Drums View Post
    I'd think after a few lessons anyway...if a drum teacher who also played a guitar, pulled
    it out for the last half of the lessons would be a big help and keep the students attention.
    Yes...why not?!

Kids have bad days. It happens.

By the time they get to me for their lesson...they've been to school all day, may or may not have had dinner (which means they are hungry or tired and winding down) or a simply burned out for the day.

Truth is...lessons don't always go as planned. There's times when you just have to scrap your lesson material objectives and do something else for the session.

I've got a ton of material, ideas, quick rudiment stuff, even "lets work on our stick spinning" stuff to wrap up or change a lesson plan that may not have went well or as expected that day. I'll even shown students a cool drumming video on youtube during the last 5 minutes of a lesson simply to keep them interested and entertained...but most of all educated about something related to drums. (do you know how many kids DON'T know who Buddy Rich is, Elvin Jones, or Neil Peart?)

"Side tracks" as I call them are ok as long as it's not happening every lesson. If it does..then we have to have a chat with Mom and Dad to see if this is what the student really wants to accomplish and why they are here with me.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.