Thread: KAT Percussion, any experience?

User Info Menu

Default KAT Percussion, any experience?

Looking for feedback on KAT percussion quality, particularly the KT3 model. I have an acoustic set, but would like to have an electronic set for recording and decibel reduction (acoustics in my confined space are deafening). The KT3 seems to be a nice package, just can't find any reviews from people who actually own one. Also, I found a Roland TD9 set , but I am skeptical about buying used since there will be no warranty. Thanks in advance.

User Info Menu

Default Re: KAT Percussion, any experience?

Don't own one, but I have tried them out in Sam Ash in my area. Don't know if you have a Sam Ash near you, but if you do you might be able to try one out. The Kat sets seem to be good. You might be getting more bang for your buck if more drums and the item being new is important to you. The brain on the latest line of Kat drums is a big step up, but Roland still has the edge on the realism factor. The Roland most likely has mesh pads which most people like better (though I do not).

Buying used Roland is a fairly safe bet. Their equipment is well made.

User Info Menu

Definately agree with ArmyofLarry - Roland has a long history of making some of the best E-kits on the market - followed by Yamaha -. Ive never even heard of KAT Percussion - but watched a Video on YouTube of the KT-3 being demonstrated. Looks good and sounds good. No idea of the cost and if you're dealing with one of the major chain music stores, Im guessing you can opt for one of those "extra coverage" insurance policies which I would definately consider. Roland has a long history of making excellent E-kits.
    If the two kits are priced about the same, and you are dealing with a major chain who offers extra insurance coverage, buying the KAT Percussion kit might be a good buy - - Let us know whatcha end up doing - Pics please of which ever kit you decide on.
    Just sayin~~~
    Last edited by Warren Wright; 03-09-2014 at 09:46 PM.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

I never had the kit but I used to have the Kat controller and it was solid.

User Info Menu

KAT Percussion have been around for quite a while, I can remember seeing the first Trap KAT's coming around somewhere in the 90's or so in Modern Drummer, but the first KAT controller that I actually been able to try out was a Mallet KAT which was at the store when I first looking around for vibraphones a while back. It is definitely something I'll be considering in the future.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Keep in mind, the Drum Kat, and the Kat Percussion kits are two completely different things. Alternate Mode makes both, but I think they had another company help them develop these to help keep them in the marketplace as a brand. The Drum Kat, Mallet Kat and Trap Kat controllers are the most advanced controllers in the market, in my opinion. Yet, these are niche' market items for people like me who want to create with electronic drums, not have some electronic practice kit that emulates real drums.

The KT3 and other full kits are Alternate Mode's wise choice to come up with an inexpensive, yet full quality drum kit in that market. Hopefully, it keeps them around for many years to come, because I like their products, their customer service and the general vibe of what they do.