Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I have a huge, terrible confession to make...

User Info Menu

Default Re: I have a huge, terrible confession to make...

I think drum solos have a place. Not every band, or every drummer should put a drum solo in their shows. The first band I saw live was Motley. Tommy Lee did one of his solos with the kit suspended over the crowd. Looking back, and with a little bit of drum experience and knowledge, the spectacle was the best part of that solo, not the drumming. But I LOVED it at the time. If a drummer can pull off a solo with great musicianship, AND great showmanship, I think that is a worthy solo. Missing one or both of those makes for a boring section of the show........
    Yamaha Stage Custom 6 pc
    Assorted Zildjian
    Gibraltar hardware
    Zildjian laminate sticks
    LOTS of snares
    AQUARIAN heads

User Info Menu

I get tired of hearing "Wipeout" from every local bar band, LOL. It always sounds the same, the "surfer sound" guitar and the drummer rolls his way around the toms, one at a time, and ends on the cymbals. I've been meaning to sit down and compose my own "pre-rehearsed" arrangement. Maybe try to incorporate different styles or do something unique with the pattern. Something different that shows some creativity.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

"Wipeout!"

User Info Menu

Drum solos, keyboard solos...etc...they all have their place...bass and guitar solos....it all depends on how you do it!

Last edited by Olimpass; 02-26-2014 at 12:01 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Drummers that don't have real soloing chops should not play drum solos. That's one of the reasons more people don't like them.
    Hmmm sorry drummer...gonna have to disagree. Nobody had chops like Buddy Rich but I still find his solos a little tedious after a certain point. Kinda like a pulling a rabbit out of a hat for the hundredth time. The initial wow factor fades and then it's like OK enough already!

opinion of course!

all the best...

User Info Menu

My preference is a drum solo that isn't based around speed/chops. I like musical solos that incorporate everything on the kit, at a moderate pace. Something that forces the crowd to want to clap along with the tempo.

Tex

User Info Menu

Most the drum solos I see are like they're
    killing snakes and some people like snakes!

User Info Menu

Yeah I kinda follow the sentiments of a lot of previous replies in this thread. For me to take notice, a solo has to be different and innovative while still showcasing the drummers skill.
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

lol!
    I think I know what you mean. If a solo went on for ages I can get a bit boring, unless you are really into that player. When I saw Carl Palmer, I was watching every move, and my sister disappeared to the ladies, afterwards I said where did you go for so long, and she said it was too long a solo, and she went to sit down!!
    It was about a 9 min solo, and she is NOT a drummer!

Bridie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Solos are like skirts, the shorter the better.
    lol yup
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

to simple and u lose people
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

I enjoy listening to solos when the drummer isn't as skilled as me!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I only like drum solos if their in the middle of songs, then it's like a guitar solo but instead of taking up the whole song it only has a five to six second stop in the song

User Info Menu

Depends. I've seen solos played where friends turn around and ask if I can play something like that (no), and I've seen solos where friends turn around and tell me to use my secret drummer hand signals to tell the guy to quit embarrassing our kind.

I like solos with groove and/or a theme. I've started liking more solos since I've learned to pick out rudiments that are being used. I also like seeing them integrated into a song somehow.

However, if some underskilled numbskull like myself tried to hammer out a solo, it would be painful to sit through. You gotta have a vast skill set, a deep knowldge of the sound range of the things you're hitting, and be able to do it musicly. More so than in a band setting.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

There is probably no single correct answer.

Bruno Mars did a nice drum solo at the start of the USA Superbowl halftime show.

User Info Menu

Wow. I thought I was the only one! Thanks for being brave and posting your feelings here! I just don't 'get' drum solos either, though drumming is my new passion. I recall reading something about Jeff Porcaro, who rarely, if ever, solo'd on drums, rather, he felt that drums supported the song, the groove. I like his way of thinking.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

I'm with you too.....It has to be a stellar solo to keep my attention past a minute or two.....might just be my A.D.D kicking in....who knows!! Maybe it's just because my drums always sit in the church and not at home, so I never really got a chance to solo at it, so my soloing sounds just a bit better than a 3 year old playing the drums!! lol! In any event, I would rather play and hear other people play with other music.

Last edited by drumnut30; 03-10-2014 at 02:05 PM.

User Info Menu

I can rarely stomach watching a live band for more than one set. Even awesome shows like Steve Vai, the drummer, Jeremy Coulson, was not totally killing me, I left a couple songs before the show ended. Rare occasions, like Narada Walden with Jeff Beck, get my juices flowing, but more often than not, yawn ho hum. I guess the by product of being a drummer so many years.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

I don't like self indulgent (this is in the ear of the beholder and purely judgmental, I know) solos but I love a great musical solo as part of a song, even if the solo is 32 or 64 bars or more. I am particularly fond of jazz solos, and extra, particularly fond of trading 2's, trading 4's etc with the band.

I did enjoy drum week and drum week 2 on Letterman, because the drummers a) were the top of the top and b) kept them under 5 minutes.
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

I don't have the chops to pull off a drum solo but I love to watch them. Buddy Rich, Neil Peart, Vinnie Colaiuta, and Emmanuelle Caplette are just a few I enjoy watching. The draw for me is knowing how hard it is to pull off a decent solo but on the other hand, you couldn't pay me enough money to sit in the audience at a GC Drum Off.

User Info Menu

I get all the satisfaction I need playing good drums behind good music.

That said, I've been playing in bands that cover "Tom Sawyer" and "Vicarious" on the regular, so maybe I have a better outlet for my skills than a guy in a Rolling Stones tribute band. Mostly I regard solos as a burden.

Guys like Neil Peart get away with it because they've built that expectation into the show, and he got that from Buddy Rich (even if he can't match it stylistically). The tragedy of the internet age is that I've seen and heard more great drumming in the last five minutes than in the entire time I was in high school, so it's hard to reach me now.

If you have the grapes, go for it. If you don't, don't worry, the rest of us will be quick and brutal enough to let you know. Ick. Has it come to that?

User Info Menu

I can dig it now and again not all the time. recently sat through a 14 min tam tam fest solo w/ Rodney Holmes cause he was so bad *ss!
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

User Info Menu

I like a drum solo when the rest of the band is still playing, but the drums are doing the leads. Similar to a guitar solo. I mean, I don't like just listening to a guitar player soloing without the rest of the band and it's pretty much the same with drums, although I find drum solos more interesting at least.

User Info Menu

I love good drum solos. To me a good one is like a song. It has a groove, it sings and it has parts that stick in your head like chorus of a pop song.

There are so many kind of solos. The ones that have something to say work for me. A 10 minute "look at me I can play anything" is nothing I ever want to hear. I like Jazz drum solos with the band comping behind the drummer. I like Neil Peart's because it is pretty much a drum song he wrote, and makes modifications to over the years. I like the Genesis Drum Duets between Chester and Phil, because they also made it a song.

In short: Chopsfest = yawn. Something to say = excitement.

User Info Menu

You have to have chops. You have to have the ability to make it interesting and visual. You have to take it out of the right song at the right time, and you have to be able to read the crowd.

We finished a set with a drum solo about 20-25 years ago. While taking our break, a young couple came over to our table and was complimenting the band. The young lady, probably in her 20's, looks me right in the eye and says "I hate drums". I said to her, " You were standing right in front of the riser when I was playing". She said to me, "I wanted to see what you were going to do next".

I've seen a lot of drummers over a long period of time. Some just don't play solos. Some don't have the chops to play them. Some have the chops but don't play them because they think it won't go over well, which it probably won't if you play Wipe Out for the thousandth time, and some others who don't for a variety of reasons.

You ARE a musician, you can take a solo and probably not get stoned for doing so. It makes me laugh that some drummers who knock drum solos, will, on other posts, rant about Peart, Buddy, Chambers, and, dare I say it, Tommy Lee ( drumming skills-3, showmanship 8-9) and say that their stuff is fine.

Sounds like a touch of hypocrisy to me.