Drum Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have a huge, terrible confession to make...

User Info Menu

Default I have a huge, terrible confession to make...

Before my confession, I must give a disclaimer: I've been playing drums for over 20 years, and I love playing drums more than anything. I love talking about everything from shells, to edges, to risers, to lights, etc. I really like you guys in this corner of the internet, so I feel safe in spilling my confession:

I'm not a huge fan of drum solos.

I can only take a couple minutes of listening to blast beats, super-fast rolls, and whatnot for 5-10 minutes. I've tried, but I can rarely make it through those Guitar Center Drum Off videos. They are so busy, and those guys that play are right on the other side of amazing. I think that one of the only solos I can make it through these days is this one by Papa Joe Jones, but it's more of a story than anything else. His keeps me on the edge of my seat:

I've listened to hundreds of solos over the years, both of famous people and no-name people that have so much better skill and dexterity than I'll ever have. It's great in small doses, but I just can't sit there for 7 or 8 minutes listening to it for some reason.

With that said, I absolutely love listening to a good groove with a bass. I could listen to the groove in "Brick House," "Sex Machine," 311's "All Mixed Up," and Train's swinging "Drops of Jupiter" all day. I love grooves, fills, and dynamics. Solos? Not so much.

Now, let me see if I can get on this flak jacket before the first response...

User Info Menu

Default Re: I have a huge, terrible confession to make...

You're not alone and now I see that I'm not either!

User Info Menu

I'm with you on that as well.....not a big solo fan.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Solos are like skirts, the shorter the better.

User Info Menu

I figured You'd need 2000+ posts to bring something like this up?

User Info Menu

To each his own. That's what makes the world interesting. I love drum solos and I like solid grooves too.
    - Tom

Everyone loves FREE... like this free drum forum. But like your car and even your drums, they require upkeep and maintenance and that requires money.

Will you consider Shopping at Drum Bum to help support this forum?

Or make a donation here.

I know from working with Drum Bum through the years, that this forum is costly to run. It requires server fees, hosting, ongoing moderation, advertising, software upgrades, security certificates and IT work when it breaks. All in addition to the expenses that come from running a business. These costs are offset (hopefully) by members that click through to Drum Bum to make a purchase now and then, if not make a contribution to help keep it running.

On behalf of Drum Bum, thank you for your consideration.

User Info Menu

You wouldn't be the first one to think that. I think Northern Redneck might be on to somethiner here.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Solos are like skirts, the shorter the better.
    Nice!

I think solos have their place, drum clinics, YouTube, etc. But if I am at a show to see a band, any solo that starts is a good time to go to the restroom and/or get a beverage.

...and that goes for guitar solo's, bass solo's, etc...
    Gretsch Renown RN1 ~ Silver Oyster Pearl

User Info Menu

I like em if they're around 1 1/2 min (2 tops) long. Anything more than that z. The other day I posted a Steve Smith solo in the SS thread. It's one of my all time favorites because he keeps it interesting and it's short.
    Last edited by slinky; 02-25-2014 at 11:09 AM.
    RED DIRT MOUNTAIN
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian REGAL TiP

User Info Menu

I'm with you. I dont care for drum solos. I've also played bass guitar since I was 14 years old. I can't stand bass solos either.

User Info Menu

I'll make one exception. I could watch a Hannah Ford drum solo for hours.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post

Members of a lesser drum forum would make a witty comment to tie your post with NR's post above...

Good thing the members of DC are more mature than that

Gretsch Renown RN1 ~ Silver Oyster Pearl

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I like em if they're around 1 1/2 min (2 tops) long.
    Or even shorter...................

Most drum solos are to display the technician in the player.
    That can be done in a shorter solo than most drummers provide.
    It can even be done in a (longer) fill/break within a song.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Drummers that don't have real soloing chops should not play drum solos. That's one of the reasons more people don't like them.
    - Tom

Everyone loves FREE... like this free drum forum. But like your car and even your drums, they require upkeep and maintenance and that requires money.

Will you consider Shopping at Drum Bum to help support this forum?

Or make a donation here.

I know from working with Drum Bum through the years, that this forum is costly to run. It requires server fees, hosting, ongoing moderation, advertising, software upgrades, security certificates and IT work when it breaks. All in addition to the expenses that come from running a business. These costs are offset (hopefully) by members that click through to Drum Bum to make a purchase now and then, if not make a contribution to help keep it running.

On behalf of Drum Bum, thank you for your consideration.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Drummers that don't have real soloing chops should not play drum solos. That's one of the reasons more people don't like them.
    agreed!
    But really good drummer solos I can listen to for hours. Must be the "tribal" thing in me.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I'm the same with Tom and Slingy here. If someone can solo well (and hopefully have taken care of the all-important beat keeping business first), then I can listen. Like Slingerland said, "must be the 'tribal' thing in me"....same here brother. Mind you, the thing I also like, as someone who plays 'away' from the drum kit as a percussionist, tuned percussionist (vibes, marimba etc) and nowadays keyboards, is a drummer that can groove well, maybe interact a bit with me, but knows how to lay it down when it's my turn to play melodically. Some of my fave drummers are chops-monsters, but some are just great groove-merchants. And some, whether one or the other type, are also good songwriters and tunesmiths in general.

And of course I can do likewise behind the set when accompanying anyone....if I got to keep it straight, I can do so, because as I'm keeping that rhythm I'm also listening to all the great melody and harmony going together with what rhythm I'm playing......I'm sort of 'aurally multi-tasking' in a way, so I never seem to fall into the typical trap of "Oh, this is a ballad? Time for this drummer's brain to go zz zz zz!"
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 02-25-2014 at 01:15 PM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post

"I could watch a Hannah Ford drum solo for hours."

N2B, are you sure it isn't, "I could watch a Hannah Ford for hours."

User Info Menu

Drum solos are fine, but, 1) You better be good, 2) You better be able to judge the crowd.

User Info Menu

I prefer to hear a drum solo by itself, as opposed to one in song. To me, getting out of the established flow and groove of a song to do a drum solo just seems to make the song implode. No one wants to hear a guitar player take off on a Van Halen style solo all over the fret board in the middle of a blues based southern rock song...it just doesn't fit. At least with a guitar, you have a melody along with the rhythm that you can develop while maintaining the flow and feel of the song. With drums, we are by nature somewhat limited to rhythm. Any changes alter the song structure. With an extended fill, however the structure of the song remains in tact.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

I say it takes a lot of guts to play solos in front of people. You have those eyes watching, judging and sometimes criticise you and that can get you nervous and uncomfortable. . I love watching drum solos cause some of pretty darn good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    "I could watch a Hannah Ford drum solo for hours."

N2B, are you sure it isn't, "I could watch a Hannah Ford for hours."
    That reminds me of an old skit on the Bob & Tom show. The one with Ed Pinkley from Pinkley Ford advertising the new Taurus.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

I like some drum solos. Most of the ones I like are based around grooves, e.g.

- Zack

User Info Menu

Drum solo's - love listening/ watching them, never really liked playing them.

User Info Menu

Yea not a fan of drum solo's. I can barely stand walking through the gc drum department cause there is always 2 to 3 guys going bozzio on kits

User Info Menu

There is a time and a place for them. Unfortunately, what gives drum solos a bad name are drummers lacking chops doing them, drummers making them too long, drummers doing them in the wrong setting, drummers doing them with the wrong band.............

So, if you're a drummer lacking chops, don't do a long solo while playing in a cover band while playing a gig in a bar where people are trying to dance and have fun. You'll be sure to empty the dance floor and piss off the owner.