Thread: cymbal purchase advice, please :)

User Info Menu

Default cymbal purchase advice, please :)

hi all, just joined up.

i'm looking for advice/recommendation for replacing my hihats and potentially a crash/ride. thanks!

1. hihats: i currently play some old zildjian 14". they're really nice, but i don't like how much 'bell' sound i'm getting, and i'm looking for more of a sizzle sound when they're played open. i'm also thinking about going to 15". you can hear my current hihats at http://www.myspace.com/4eyedfistfight. i'm a big sabian fan, but zildjian seems to have more choices for hihats.

2. crash/ride: currently play a 20" sabian AAX crash/ride, and it's pretty good, but it's getting old. i want to stay at the same size, or no bigger than 22", and obviously i want it to sound good as a crash, but i'd like to get a little bit deeper ping out of it as well. again, i like my sabian, but am going to be open-minded.

User Info Menu

well they sound pretty good man. I have an AAX stage crash 16" that I like and a 20" stage ride that i like and there all AAX same with my 14" hi-hat. I like these, but i still a newbie so id wait for some more replys.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat 8R3ND4N (I have to know what that's all about!).

I am trying to figure out the sounds that I want too, so like Lafirin, I will let some more experienced drummers weigh in on this for you. I did want you to feel welcome here, and I know that the words of wisdom that you need are right around the corner.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

pb the 8R3ND4N=BRENDAN just spelled with numbers to look cooler

User Info Menu

Man, I don't think I'll ever get used to that. I'm not much of a code breaker! LOL
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Cool A custom Zildjians!!

Quote Originally Posted by 8R3ND4N View Post
    hi all, just joined up.

i'm looking for advice/recommendation for replacing my hihats and potentially a crash/ride. thanks!

1. hihats: i currently play some old zildjian 14". they're really nice, but i don't like how much 'bell' sound i'm getting, and i'm looking for more of a sizzle sound when they're played open. i'm also thinking about going to 15". you can hear my current hihats at http://www.myspace.com/4eyedfistfight. i'm a big sabian fan, but zildjian seems to have more choices for hihats.

2. crash/ride: currently play a 20" sabian AAX crash/ride, and it's pretty good, but it's getting old. i want to stay at the same size, or no bigger than 22", and obviously i want it to sound good as a crash, but i'd like to get a little bit deeper ping out of it as well. again, i like my sabian, but am going to be open-minded.
    I play 13" A custom mastersound zildjians and they sound great and A custom 20" ping ride and it sounds great also ! Best thing for anyone to do is go to the store and play everyone you can untill you hit YOUR sweet sound. And have someone else play them while you walk away so you can hear them from far away sometimes your sound is out there and you don't/can't hear it from the drivers seat !
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

i wish i could do that, but our music stores dont hold that expensive cymbals.. crappy huh

User Info Menu

hey all, thanks for the replies. i wanted to update b/c I played some 15" Paiste Giant Beat hats (http://www.paiste.com/products/cymba...at_hi-hats.php) at the store, and i thought they sounded great. does anyone own these? if so, are you happy w/ your investment in them?

User Info Menu

I've heard sound samples almost bought one on eBay, but haven't gotten to actually see them or hear them live. It's a good deal though if that's the sound you want.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy