Thread: Foot creeping up kick pedal—how to stop?

User Info Menu

Default Foot creeping up kick pedal—how to stop?

Hi All—first post here! I'm a professional percussionist; after a few decades of mastering a ton of percussion instruments, I'm finally learning to play drumset—and loving it!

So I've got a newbie question: I have a basic Tama split bass pedal (the HP30) which feels fine to play. I decided early that I want to be a heel-down player (just because I think it offers more control for me personally) so I've been practicing exclusively heel-down.

It's going well...but I've noticed my foot almost constantly creeps up the pedal 'til my toe is against the frame of the pedal...and I haven't figured out yet how to stop this?

It doesn't seem to matter how much of my heel is on the heel section of the pedal---no matter where I start, my foot slides up.

Is this a common problem (especially for heel-down players)? Anyone figured how to stop it from happening? I almost want to tie my foot to the floor behind the pedal, LOL.

I've wondered if getting a longboard pedal (no split) would help---and I'm thinking that would be better for heel-down playing anyway (I'm not liking the split much.)

Thanks for any advice!
    Scott

User Info Menu

Default Re: Foot creeping up kick pedal—how to stop?

Go up to Hardware, Drum Gear section, you'll find your answer there.

User Info Menu

Softer rubber soles? The more I think about it I had that problem at first but it didn't last long.
    Last edited by Ray on the Drums; 03-01-2014 at 11:00 AM.

User Info Menu

Foot creep happens a lot when you begin to add more speed and play more around the kit and your sitting position/balance changes. Sometimes your throne position can make the difference too. Facing the hats more means your rt. foot wants to turn sideways on the kick pedal. Some drummers like to wear shoes that give them more pedal feel to avoid foot creep, even playing barefoot or just in socks. If your kick pedal has a toe stop hole, get a toe stop or make one from angle iron and a bolt.
    Lots of practice usually cures the worst foot creep. You adapt, even might discover you don't need to "plant" the heel to play, that shifting your foot allows different feel and maybe more speed, etc..
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I would venture to say that as your muscles and control develop over time, that it will probably go away, especially if you are aware of it and make the effort to correct it when it's happening.

I have/had the same problem when playing a Samba ostinato... it has significantly decreased since I have been specifically working on it at slow tempos.
    Gretsch Renown RN1 ~ Silver Oyster Pearl

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice. I'm dealing with it ok for now (just by occasionally repositioning my foot), so maybe it'll go away. I didn't even know toe stops for bass drum pedals existed, so that's always a solution (although my pedal doesn't have a hole---I could always drill one).

I'll just try to go with it for now and see if I can control it. It also seems to depend on whether I'm sitting forward (more weight on my kick foot) or sitting back (less weight on my kick foot).

Scott

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Foot creep happens a lot when you begin to add more speed and play more around the kit and your sitting position/balance changes. Sometimes your throne position can make the difference too.
    +1

Often issues you're having with your pedal control are coming from your balance and your seat height, not necessarily your pedals or feet. Look in to that maybe.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

Skateboard tape or sand tape(which is probably the same thing).
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

thank you Mark, I was going to go look for some of that and didn't know what to call it.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Usually, I see it being sold as a safety or non-skid tape. I've sold the 3M version of it many times for Industrial applications. It comes in rolls of various widths and It's commonly used on stair steps, platforms and equipment in wet environments. Also common on diving boards. Might also try Automotive parts stores and Farm supply stores. They use it on running boards, step bumpers, tailgates, trailer fenders, etc..
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

post# 4...those are my thoughts, too. In addition, this: In order for anything to remain in it's original position ( like a foot on a bass pedal ) it has to rest naturally and comfortably in it's original position..........any crutches contrary to this position will eventually lead to other shortcomings. Focus on the center of the mass of your foot on each depression. A natural slide is easily overcome. At first, timing will be discouraged, but only until the mechanics are developed. It's kind of like brushing your teeth. Before long you know just how far to push the toothbrush before you hit the back of your mouth. HINT : as you adjust your foot back on the pedal...adjust your butt back on the throne.
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

I would check your playing position, has a lot to do with movement and comfort. As you said you are new to the set will take time to find your comfort zone. I use pearl toe stops as I had bad problem of one foot drifting and playing ghost notes on bass. Once you find your comfort zones you will be ahead of it. Little things like this on the drums keep them interesting. We as drummers are always learning. Enjoy Also wouldn't mind you posting some videos of you playing with the big band lol

User Info Menu

Lots of drummer have this problem....I know your probly not in to metal but the drummer from anthrax, Charlie benante uses skateboard grip tape or just grip tape to keep from sliding around.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum. Modify or swap the pedal that comes with a toe stop if grip tape doesn't hold your foot in place. Both my DW9000 and Pearl P-2000 Eliminators came with them.

User Info Menu

You could be wearing footwear with a sole that's a bit too smooth. My faves are Converse Chuck Taylor low cuts, Vans or even copies of them or something similar. Again, as others have pointed out, how you're sitting can affect whether you're sliding your foot or not. As you regularly practice, this may occur less and less and eventually you'll get that balance where you can get a good 'throw' of your ankle and/or leg (depending on your dynamics during performance) without any unnecessary foot slide.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Super Glue. If that doesn't work, try a heavy duty rivet gun.

User Info Menu

Why have you made up your mind in advance. Learning something new having already made up your mind seems like an oxy-moron. I play heel up but I could not tell you why. I never thought about it until I went to a clinic and it became a topic of discussion. By then I had been playing for a couple years and was starting to show some advanced skills. Lift your heel! You may just like it.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

My Iron Cobra pedal is quite old, and pretty slick. I like it that way actually. Allows my foot to slide up the footboard as I play, giving me a little more speed.

But I'm also playing heel up and mostly on top of the pedal.

User Info Menu

I like the play with heel up and heel down. If you are having a lot of problems, try rearranging you seat, maybe it is too low. A little trick I do sometimes is to play barefoot ...but it might be the type of shoes you are rocking as well..

good luck!

User Info Menu

I had the same problem when I started drumming (only 7 months ago), it was really frustrating at first as my pedal has a stop at the top of the foot plate and I was still riding my foot over it and tangling my toes in the chain!
    At first I was playing heel down but as I started to try to develop a little more speed and was starting to practice heel up the problem started to go away.
    I now try to practice both methods - heel down for <85 bpm and up for anything faster as I feel I have better control heel down at lower tempos.
    I was playing in house slippers for more 'feel' as they have very thin soles.
    I'm now trying to learn to play wearing regular soft soled shoes - very difficult at present.
    I think your problem will resolve itself within a month or two.

Crispy

User Info Menu

I feel it's probably a technique issue more than anything. If you're having trouble because your shoes aren't gripping, you could try different shoes with a better gripping surface or grip tape as mentioned before. You may be subconsciously moving your foot to compensate for something, possibly lack of power. Hard to say without being in the room and watching.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.