Thread: In-Ear Monitors on a Budget

User Info Menu

Default In-Ear Monitors on a Budget

I'm in the market for in-ears. I've been looking into custom molded and trying not to gasp at the cost.

I see some non-custom 1 or 3 driver models that fit my pay grade. I'm looking for input on these lower cost models. Do the non-molded styles do a decent job of isolation? Do single driver models get the job done OK?

User Info Menu

Default Re: In-Ear Monitors on a Budget

I guess I couldn't wait. I just picked up some Shure SE425-CL dual driver sound isolating earphones. Reviews are good for the majority of reviewers. I hope they work out.

User Info Menu

I've been using SE215s which are single driver, they get the job done, but I'm saving and or going to sell some stuff off to get a set of customs. Going all out and going for a 6 driver set. I hope they end up being worth it, lol.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

I've got the Shure se425's and really like them. I tried different tips on them and ended up liking the black foam ones the best for comfort and sound isolation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nechre View Post
    I've been using SE215s which are single driver, they get the job done, but I'm saving and or going to sell some stuff off to get a set of customs. Going all out and going for a 6 driver set. I hope they end up being worth it, lol.
    I was looking at those too, but figured I wouldn't be upgrading anytime soon. Those customs sound nice!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
    I've got the Shure se425's and really like them. I tried different tips on them and ended up liking the black foam ones the best for comfort and sound isolation.
    I'm glad to hear your happy with yours. I tried them out with my iPod, practicing a couple of songs play-along style. I tried the silicone round tips first and didn't get the isolation from the drums like I had hoped. I then tried the silicone triple flanged tips. Those worked maybe a little too well. I couldn't hear the drums until I turned the music way down (which might save my ears in the long run). I still need to try the black foam and the yellow foam tips.

I had a heck of a time trying to figure out how to put them on. I saw what I thought was an L on one of them, but that turned out to be a seam in the casing and not the left one. All good now though.

User Info Menu

Alien ears very good on a budget

User Info Menu

I use Elacin ER25 custom ear protection, and recently I converted the plugs to in-ears using Elacin's own advertised headphones (so about £250 all-in). They sound fine (I only need them for vocals) - not the best, perhaps, but good enough for me, and I know I'm getting maximum protection as well.

I feel your pain about fitting though, Arefish - I have to put my glasses on, and even then I can barely see the "L" and "R" in low light - very rock and roll!
    A-kit: Mapex 6-pc Saturn V in Deep Water Maple Burl
    1976 Ludwig Supraphonic 400, DW Design Black Nickel over Brass and Black Panther Velvetone snares
    14" Zildjian A Mastersound hi-hats
    21" Meinl Byzance Transition Ride
    18" Sabian AAX China
    Many Paiste Signature cymbals!
    Roland SPD:ONE Percussion pad

Protection Racket cases

E-kit: Roland TD-12 with VEX

User Info Menu

Those SE215's look pretty good. Be nice to just plug into my phone and jam out. I really don't want to spend 500 for some real in ear monitors, and I don't want over the ear headphones either.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

So I too bought a pair of se215's. They rock. I also think this is how you are supposed to wear them. According to the pamphlet, the shure logo should be right side up. Sorry for potato quality picture. I used the forward camera on my phone. Plus dat email compression.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"

User Info Menu

Kazaamski if you cinch up the cords behind your head it will pull that wire down closer to your head and ear I've found. Have you figured out what sleeve you like best yet? While playing drums I keep going back to the triple flange sleeve. I just ordered 3 replacement pairs of them.

I've only used the 425s with my iPod so far. I'll get to try them in a live setting for the first time Thursday.

User Info Menu

I haven't figured out which sleeve I like yet. Honestly, I didnt even read the pamphlet till i was done bangin' around on the kit. When I figured out how to wear them, the issued sleeves fit pretty well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    I guess I couldn't wait. I just picked up some Shure SE425-CL dual driver sound isolating earphones. Reviews are good for the majority of reviewers. I hope they work out.
    I've been using my SE425's for about a year now. No buyers remorse here!

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    Kazaamski if you cinch up the cords behind your head it will pull that wire down closer to your head and ear I've found.
    This and you can bend/form the wire to go behind your ear as well. Good Luck!
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman