Thread: Questions about used E-kits.

User Info Menu

Default Questions about used E-kits.

I've been playing acoustic drums for about 6 years, now I'm looking to get a decent E-kit for noise reduction and recording. I found a used Roland TD9 set on CL for $950 (including a nice throne), but my concern is the lack of warranty since it's used. It appears to be in great shape, and plays well, but I'm scared that if I buy it and get it home, then a pad, cymbal, or module fails, then I'm SOL, because I understand that Roland gear ain't cheap.

Does anyone have any advice for buying used E-kits, or experience with the TD9 set? My budget is around $1,000, would it be wiser to just get a cheaper set that has a warranty?

I understand that E-kits are delicate and aren't meant for hard-hitting, which certainly will be taken into consideration when playing. I don't consider myself too hard of a hitter even when playing acoustics, and that will go double when playing electronic.

This TD9 seems to have everything I want (double bass pedal, hi-hat + 3-zone ride + 2 chokeable 2-zone cymbals). Any recommendations for a different kit that supports this build? Any help is GREATLY appreciated, as even after 20+ hours of research and shopping, I feel like I've hit a wall...

User Info Menu

Default Re: Questions about used E-kits.

Quote Originally Posted by King Treybo View Post
    I've been playing acoustic drums for about 6 years, now I'm looking to get a decent E-kit for noise reduction and recording. I found a used Roland TD9 set on CL for $950 (including a nice throne), but my concern is the lack of warranty since it's used. It appears to be in great shape, and plays well, but I'm scared that if I buy it and get it home, then a pad, cymbal, or module fails, then I'm SOL, because I understand that Roland gear ain't cheap.

Does anyone have any advice for buying used E-kits, or experience with the TD9 set? My budget is around $1,000, would it be wiser to just get a cheaper set that has a warranty?

I understand that E-kits are delicate and aren't meant for hard-hitting, which certainly will be taken into consideration when playing. I don't consider myself too hard of a hitter even when playing acoustics, and that will go double when playing electronic.

This TD9 seems to have everything I want (double bass pedal, hi-hat + 3-zone ride + 2 chokeable 2-zone cymbals). Any recommendations for a different kit that supports this build? Any help is GREATLY appreciated, as even after 20+ hours of research and shopping, I feel like I've hit a wall...
    I'm not sure if that's a good price....................GC used has a TD-9V for around $700, but options, such as mesh heads, will alter the price.

If you do buy used, make a checklist, and thoroughly inspect/play the kit before you buy it.

There are some great deals out there, but also people who want to dump their broken gear.

Good Luck

User Info Menu

If you're lucky enough, you might have a friend who knows their electronic percussion gear who might help you inspect that set. I have Roland and Alesis pads...the only few items that I bought second hand for my two electronic sets here in my teaching room are two Roland Octapads and two Alesis DM5 modules (one of each for each kit) else everything else was new. One thing I will say though is that if if you're paying cheap, dirt cheap for a new electronic kit....it may be too good to be true...you could find pads that fall apart after months or a couple of years or unreliable modules, problematic leads, whatever. If you can get that TD9 kit for under $1000 and it seems problem free, I'd rather get a reliable kit like that than something at that same price being new but dubious. For example, the stuff put out by Ddrum and Simmons are a lot more dodgy than the better made products these two companies made years ago....I suppose that was the inevitable thing when they both got bought out and then had their logos rebadging poorly made sets. You do get what you pay for, for a reason.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I myself would not buy a used e-kit. Too many things to look for when buying electronic kits. I almost bought one years ago and lucky for me I knew the person really well and he let me try it out for a week. Nightmare the cymbals where cutting out and so where the toms. This could of been the beginning of a money pit so decided not to go for it. The kit look good and all but did not trust it too last too long. It was a top of the line Yamaha at the time which was around 2008 and the price was reasonable but it scared me off.

User Info Menu

Thanks a heap, fellas. Probably going to go with a new kit that I can upgrade in the future.

User Info Menu

shop around plenty of people buy e-kits and end up not playing after a few months

by all means try get a deal on a new kit but dont rule out a second hand bargin

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Questions about used E-kits.

Quote Originally Posted by king treybo View Post
    i've been playing acoustic drums for about 6 years, now i'm looking to get a decent e-kit for noise reduction and recording. I found a used roland td9 set on cl for $950 (including a nice throne), but my concern is the lack of warranty since it's used. It appears to be in great shape, and plays well, but i'm scared that if i buy it and get it home, then a pad, cymbal, or module fails, then i'm sol, because i understand that roland gear ain't cheap.

Does anyone have any advice for buying used e-kits, or experience with the td9 set? My budget is around $1,000, would it be wiser to just get a cheaper set that has a warranty?

I understand that e-kits are delicate and aren't meant for hard-hitting, which certainly will be taken into consideration when playing. I don't consider myself too hard of a hitter even when playing acoustics, and that will go double when playing electronic.

This td9 seems to have everything i want (double bass pedal, hi-hat + 3-zone ride + 2 chokeable 2-zone cymbals). Any recommendations for a different kit that supports this build? Any help is greatly appreciated, as even after 20+ hours of research and shopping, i feel like i've hit a wall...
    KING TREYBO: BE CAREFUL!!!!!!...
    Not often,,,but sometimes,,,,we make a "leap" (PHROGGE/leap,,,get it???) anyway,,,,I have been ultra blessed by my " DRUM LORD OF THUNDER FROM DOWN UNDER "( ya hear me thumpin for ya MICHAEL?????) to have someone go ......way out of their way to explain the possibilities of a diagnosis to a faltering 20 year old ROLAND SPD11 unit,,,,& even more blessed to get not only a video tutorial on how to use da dang thing from pushin da button that turns it on!!!!....as well as having its owner on constant standby (sorta ,,,when he can be reached,,,) to explain it all ...but ,,,that my phriend is the rarest of exceptions to the rule....truly this "GREEN GROOVE MACHINE " is honored & humbled by his brothers & sisters of DRUMCHAT & that which we call PLANET OF DA DRUM ....yer in da right place for advice ...but they're drummers & (percussionists,,,,)not electricians,,,,those will cost ya,,,,extra.....

WARRANTY IS ALWAYS A GOOD SERIOUS CONSIDERATION WITH USED ELECTRONICS
    WHY ARE THEY SELLING IT IN THE 1ST PLACE & WHAT DO THEY KNOW THAT THEY
    MAY HAVE " JUST FORGOTTEN" TO MENTION TO YOU ABOUT THIS PHABULOUS KIT?????
    Last edited by PHROGGE; 03-02-2014 at 06:32 AM.
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

All my Roland gear except the SPD was purchased used and I've not had any issues.

And, it's not delicate at all.

Last edited by NewTricks; 03-06-2014 at 05:19 PM.

User Info Menu

I agree with Pearlman, used ekits are really dicey, unless you can play on it for an hour or so, you won't get even a slight idea of it's condition, unless it in really bad shape.

With your budget, there are quite a lot of good ekits out there, I've spent a little bit more than that total with my yamaha dtx500 (added 2 3-zone crashes and the 12" snare) and I'm extremely happy. So I'd go new.

As far as playing lightly, the best thing to do is use lighter sticks. I use 7a's, if you worry about losing strength, spend 10 bucks on a powerball and use that once a day

User Info Menu

great question about used gear..
    I am looking into either a TD-15KV or a low end TD30K.
    Still weighing out the price difference and what I really want/need.

But how low should you go on used sets. I mean, say the new retail price on a TD15KV is 2800 dollars and a used one is 2200, that should mean its still in pretty decent shape? Probably want to stay away from the under 2K section correct?

thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spikeithard View Post
    great question about used gear..
    I am looking into either a TD-15KV or a low end TD30K.
    Still weighing out the price difference and what I really want/need.

But how low should you go on used sets. I mean, say the new retail price on a TD15KV is 2800 dollars and a used one is 2200, that should mean its still in pretty decent shape? Probably want to stay away from the under 2K section correct?

thanks
    If retail is 2800, you probably get 15% off which brings it to around 2400. Online retail will also save sales tax in most cases so be sure and calculate that into the equations. The 2200 is way high in that scenario. For the extra $200, I'm going with new, warranteed gear.

Used gear is valued at about 50% of retail IMO

User Info Menu

I think I am going to go with the TD-30K maybe new.. maybe not.. well see whats available when I go to purchase
    god I love the aesthetics of the KV though.. shiny rack and nice shells on the pads..... mmmmmm

Maybe I can wrap some thin shiny metal around the rack on the 30k hehehe???

User Info Menu

so I ended up going with this guy... just going to upgrade module soon to the 30.

User Info Menu

Can't argue that! Looks like a mighty fine kit. Now I guess the rest is up to you