Thread: Replacing chrome hoops with brass hoops

User Info Menu

Default Replacing chrome hoops with brass hoops

My drum kit is a 6 piece Yamaha Oak Custom in the Red Oak Lacquer and its a beautiful looking kit but it looks like any other Oak Custom kit in Red Oak Lacquer - and Im one who wants my drum kit to be "noticeably different" than everyone elses and last month, I picked up a Gold Kickport and placed it in my Evans ported EQ3 reso head and it really looks good , so last night I went online and started listing the price of replacing my stock chrome 2.3 mm triple flange tom hoops as well as the chrome bass drum claws with "2.3 mm Brass Hoops and Claws" and once I had the total cost showing on my computers Calculator, I asked my wife to come see what I had been doing...I showed her the brass hoops and brass claws and the total cost ( a bit over $200.00 ) and then I showed her the cash money I had made from playing this past Thursday and Friday night which equaled the cost of the brass replacements, she said, Oh yes, that will look really good ...get them ordered - I cant wait to see how beautiful they will look. Now I know Im a very fortunate man to have a wife who loves the fact I play drums and approves of my "G.A.S." addiction, although in this instance, its only a cosmetic addition. As soon as I get the hoops and claws, I will post the "Before and After Pics".
    Just wondering how many of you guys have a wife with a similar attitude about your G.A.S. addiction?
    Last edited by Warren Wright; 03-02-2014 at 11:07 AM.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Replacing chrome hoops with brass hoops

You ask your wife? Before you make the purchase??? Wow, I wouldn't even consider something like that.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

When I built my drum room in our basement, she thought I was building her a bathroom.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

That's why I don't have a wife, tried it twice, they didn't like me, I didn't like them, worked out good.

My girlfriend doesn't care what I buy.

Marriage is like a ski lift that doesn't quite make it to the top. Leaves you hanging there wondering what you are going to do.

"Till death or a lawyer do us part"

User Info Menu

Dang. I can't wait to see what it'll look like. Pictures a soon as possible?
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

My wife supports my hobby SOMEWHAT. Perhaps tolerate would be a better word....... Good for you!
    Yamaha Stage Custom 6 pc
    Assorted Zildjian
    Gibraltar hardware
    Zildjian laminate sticks
    LOTS of snares
    AQUARIAN heads

User Info Menu

My wife is pretty cool with what I do but then again we've been married 38 years. She usually gives me this look she has when I tell her I bought something or something should be coming in the mail but it's all over in minutes.

User Info Menu

Warren, I bet that kit is going to look awesome! As to getting the things that I want, I don't have a wife to tell me no. Sometimes that's a good thing, and sometimes I wish I had the voice of reason to rein me in.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

My wife came with me to pick up my pedals. And she bought me my new snare for christmas.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    My wife came with me to pick up my pedals. And she bought me my new snare for christmas.

She can also kick your butt.

User Info Menu

LOL this has become the wife thread. Mine is still coming round to the fact that I’ve recently joined a band and have fairly regular jam sessions… takes some convincing sometimes. Anyway, I reckon gold on red is one of the best combos ever, can’t wait to see kit pics Warren
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

I'm the drummer at my church, and my wife plays bass. I have my dream drumset, and now we are trying to scrounge around enough money to get her a decent bass.

Here's a pic from a few months ago:

User Info Menu

Just a thought; will you be replacing the chrome lugs with gold lugs to match the new hoops?
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

User Info Menu

That looks like a great start. I would certainly do the lugs as well.
    Steve
    "When I can match Buddy Rich, lick for lick, I will get a rack."
    Ludwig Super Classic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatDrummer View Post
    Just a thought; will you be replacing the chrome lugs with gold lugs to match the new hoops?

I considered it but then I looked at some of the kits that had Gold Hoops along with the gold Lugs and Tension Rods and frankly, they looked good but it was again basically 2 colors - the color of the shell and the gold hardware....My set up is multi-colored, the Red Oak lacquer showing the wood grain, the badges which are black and silver, the Chrome Lugs and Tension Rods and then there are the Brass Hoops - to me its just more "Eye-Candy" and makes the kit more visible. Or maybe thats just my imagination talkin