Thread: Looking for an 18-20 inch Zildjian crash

User Info Menu

Default Looking for an 18-20 inch Zildjian crash

Lately I've been getting some more professional cymbals for my drum set. Originally I just had the Zildjian ZBT cymbals that came with my Ludwig set (14 inch crash, 13 inch hi-hats, 18 inch crash-ride). First thing I got was a 16 inch Zildjian A Custom Crash, because I personally hate the 14 inch ZBT crash. Then for my birthday (which was a few days ago) I got a 21 inch Zildjian A Sweet Ride with a brilliant finish. I'm pretty satisfied with my set now, but sometime in the near future I'd like to get a bigger crash. I'm looking for a crash that sounds different than the A Custom Crash I have and would be good for playing a beat on. I've been looking at Zildjian K and K Customs, and I'm thinking about one of those. Only thing I don't like is that even though I want a darker sounding cymbal, some of them sound a little too dark for me. Also, I usually play blues and rock.

So in summary, I'm looking for a 18-20 inch Zildjian crash that has a fairly different sound then my A Custom Crash and is good for playing a beat on.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Looking for an 18-20 inch Zildjian crash

Welcome to the forum! Yoy should check out the Zildjian K medium thin dark crash 18"! Great full body dark crash, would be nice and different from your A custom, Or the Zildjian K custom dark crash 18", Bright crash but decays with a beautiful dark shimmer.
    Last edited by DrummingAllTheWayHome; 03-02-2014 at 11:43 AM.
    "I don’t think a drummer should have to show off to get noticed. You’re like the conductor of a train. You keep the train on the tracks – let everybody else worry about everything else.” -Nathan Followill.

Grear List
    Cymbals: Zildjian K
    15" Light Hi Hats
    14" Hi Hats
    18" Dark Thin Crash
    19" Dark Thin Crash
    22" Light Ride
    Drum Kit: Gretsch Catalina Maple
    12/14/20
    Snare: Ludwig
    Epic 14"x5.5 Soon to be upgraded.

Keep the Peace!

User Info Menu

Zildjian K Dark Medium-thin or Thin crashes should do that. K Customs are generally darker and/or more experimental it seems (at least compared to regular K's) so you may want to stick with the regular ones above. The K Dark Medium-thin crashes are dark, but not super dark. They are very balanced.

User Info Menu

A 18" A Custom will already be sightly deeper and darker due to the size difference.
    You could also look at 18" A.
    I think a K will be too dark from what the OP was saying.

User Info Menu

i play a 18" A custom paired with a 16" A custom on one of my setups and they match, don't see any other cymbal being a better option

they sound like 90% of rock bands on the radio

User Info Menu

Not to hijack this thread, but PCS You say K custom dark crash is darker then the K medium thin dark? both in 18"
    "I don’t think a drummer should have to show off to get noticed. You’re like the conductor of a train. You keep the train on the tracks – let everybody else worry about everything else.” -Nathan Followill.

Grear List
    Cymbals: Zildjian K
    15" Light Hi Hats
    14" Hi Hats
    18" Dark Thin Crash
    19" Dark Thin Crash
    22" Light Ride
    Drum Kit: Gretsch Catalina Maple
    12/14/20
    Snare: Ludwig
    Epic 14"x5.5 Soon to be upgraded.

Keep the Peace!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrummingAllTheWayHome View Post
    Not to hijack this thread, but PCS You say K custom dark crash is darker then the K medium thin dark? both in 18"

In my experience, the K Custom crashes I've played have been darker. The K Custom Dark definitely seemed darker to me than the regular K's, more trashy as well. It had a really nice sound, but I prefer dark cymbals. I have no idea if all of them are like that, as there can be a lot of variation in the sound.

User Info Menu

I checked out the sound of the 18 inch Zildjian K Dark Medium Thin Crash online, and I thought it sounded pretty good.

I checked out the 18 inch Zildjian A Custom Crash too, but it wasn't dark enough for me. So I think I'm going to with the Zildjian K Dark Medium Thin Crash, unless somebody else gives me a suggestion that I like better.

User Info Menu

A crash from the K Dark line was the first thing I thought of when you said you wanted a fairly different sound from your A Custom Crash.
    I use an 18" K Dark Thin crash alongside a Sweet Ride, and they go well together.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ADrummer View Post
    I checked out the sound of the 18 inch Zildjian K Dark Medium Thin Crash online, and I thought it sounded pretty good.

I checked out the 18 inch Zildjian A Custom Crash too, but it wasn't dark enough for me. So I think I'm going to with the Zildjian K Dark Medium Thin Crash, unless somebody else gives me a suggestion that I like better.
    I just bought one of these. I don't think it is very dark sounding. However dark is on opinion. Dark or not I really like it.