Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone seat their heads??

User Info Menu

Default Does anyone seat their heads??

Just wondering how many of you guys seat your heads and what your experiences have been with it. I've been playing for 15 years and have never had to seat a head for it to sound great. I've actually tried seating heads different ways through out the years and never really saw any significant improvement. In fact I've had less than stellar results with the whole "seating" thing. I know back in the day they had to seat heads for the calfskin to break in but things are a bit different today. Thoughts????

User Info Menu

Default Re: Does anyone seat their heads??

I do it a little but always wonder if it does anything at all, and without a comparison I really don't know.
    guess I figured it would warp the rim ever so slightly for more even head contact, but really that happens when you clamp it down anyhow. I will say a post tune palm press a few inches from the rim does seem to get me to a slightly lower more stable fundamental pitch, especially with larger drums and lower tunings.
    Last edited by onegourd; 03-04-2014 at 06:34 PM.
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

User Info Menu

I do it out of habit. I was trained that way so I just do it automatically. It doesn't take that much extra time. When I hear it crack and pop, I just feel like it's going to perform better - but I can't prove it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I do it out of habit. I was trained that way so I just do it automatically. It doesn't take that much extra time. When I hear it crack and pop, I just feel like it's going to perform better - but I can't prove it.
    This

User Info Menu

Always I truly believe my heads stay in tune better when it is done. Plus I love the crack sound lol

User Info Menu

I'm with Tom & NR on this. Been doing it for decades.

User Info Menu

As with Tom, NR and Rick, its something Ive done since I started playing and continue doing today, as I also clean the drum hoop and the bearing edge before I inspect the bearing edge and when I put on a head, I tighten it using the star pattern, regardless if its a new head or good used one.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

You ever wax your bearing edges?

User Info Menu

Absolutely!
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    You ever wax your bearing edges?
    Was that a euphemism, or do you actually wax the bearing edges?

I've always tried to seat the heads when fitting, as much for the satisfying crackling noises as the (assumed) practical benefit. It's like drum bubble wrap.

Seriously though, what are the advantages of waxing the edge? To aid friction between the drum and the head?
    Premier Genista Maple - 22x18, 10x7, 12x8, 14x12, 16x16
    Tama 14x6.5 SLP Studio Maple Snare w/ Wood Hoops
    Mapex 10x5.5 Black Panther 'The Stinger' Snare

Zildjian Z Custom 19 Projection Crash
    Zildjian A Custom 18 EFX Crash
    Zildjian A Custom 6 Splash
    Sabian B8 Pro 18 Ozone Crash
    Sabian AAX 18 Stage Crash
    Sabian AAX 13 Fusion Hi Hats
    Paiste Signature 8 Splash
    Stagg SH 10 Splash
    Stagg SH 8 China Splash
    Wuhan 18 Crash/Ride
    Wuhan 14 China

User Info Menu

I use Remo on my snares, I always seat then, I use Evans on my toms, never have with the Evans
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

I always wipe down both the bearing edge and the inside rim on the head. I then smear a very light film of wax around the bearing edge. I lay the head on the shell and spin it until I find the position that is lays the best and has an even distance between the metal ring and the shell all the way around. When I tighten the rods I get them snug, then apply pressure in the middle of the head with my palm as I tighten. I do this several times during the process. The wax does help the head slide over the bearing edge as you tighten it. I've found it makes tuning much easier and I get more consistent tension around the shell.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I agree with N2Bluz, I wax the bearing edge, it does seem to aid in tuning. The theory is that the head will slide over the edge smoother. As for stretching the heads, yes, I am guilty! Do it every head change.
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

Wow! 40+ years of drumming...never heard of any of this.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Seems like more ritual than anything else... and I cant see anything wrong in that. except when seating a thin snare reso, I once left palm print in the center, though I did remedy it with a pass over my oven burner.

wax? interesting... I would think it might create more uniform head contact in the event there were any slight imperfections on the edge.
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

User Info Menu

I had a post with sound files comparison of FT seating vs non-seating while tuning....somewhere on this forum.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Interesting...

Will definitely be trying that next head change. What kind of wax do you use N2Bluz/Tamashane?
    Premier Genista Maple - 22x18, 10x7, 12x8, 14x12, 16x16
    Tama 14x6.5 SLP Studio Maple Snare w/ Wood Hoops
    Mapex 10x5.5 Black Panther 'The Stinger' Snare

Zildjian Z Custom 19 Projection Crash
    Zildjian A Custom 18 EFX Crash
    Zildjian A Custom 6 Splash
    Sabian B8 Pro 18 Ozone Crash
    Sabian AAX 18 Stage Crash
    Sabian AAX 13 Fusion Hi Hats
    Paiste Signature 8 Splash
    Stagg SH 10 Splash
    Stagg SH 8 China Splash
    Wuhan 18 Crash/Ride
    Wuhan 14 China

User Info Menu

I literally have an old candle I just rub along the bearing edge. Not a thick coating, just one light pass.

User Info Menu

I used a floor tom for a throne once.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    I literally have an old candle I just rub along the bearing edge. Not a thick coating, just one light pass.
    I do the same thing.....but I melt it first and talk kinky to my drums when I do it.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Okay guys, I'm stupid. Can you explain exactly what 'seating' means? Is it pressing down in the center of the head to give it an initial 'stretch', then tune it to pitch? If so, I'd liken it to a few good tugs on a set of new guitar strings to get them to tune more consistently when they are new, but not overdoing it.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

seating makes perfect sense. You may even back it off a couple notches, give it another press and start the process all over again. It's really no different than a periodic tune now and then.....Except for the initial impact of " setting the head on the rim " thing. My guess is each shell is different and that said, each drummer is in tune to their own shells and will...even at the expense of controversy....do their own thing. In the end, it needs to be done.
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

Simon Phillips seating a kick about half way thru video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wGA1...e_gdata_player
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I'm with Tom & NR on this. Been doing it for decades.
    Wow thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wright View Post
    As with Tom, NR and Rick, its something Ive done since I started playing and continue doing today, as I also clean the drum hoop and the bearing edge before I inspect the bearing edge and when I put on a head, I tighten it using the star pattern, regardless if its a new head or good used one.
    Thanks