Thread: Tama Power Glide - Speed Cobra comparison

User Info Menu

Default Tama Power Glide - Speed Cobra comparison

Hello! I've trawled the boards for something that might answer this question, but I need to ask, opinions at the ready please!

My go-to kick pedal for ages has been a DW5000. I like it. It's solid, reliable, powerful. But I always had a niggling feeling that, at least for me and my applications, it could be better. Strike velocity wasn't as consistent as I thought it should be (probably more my fault), and it seemed to have a somewhat lumbering and heavy feel to it, no matter what adjustments I made. Not unresponsive as such, but definitely not sensitive.

So the other night I'm at a friends studio and he's got an IC Power Glide. Somehow, I've never played one before.

As my 10 year old boy has taken to saying, OMG.

I just couldn't get over the feel of it. Smooth, fast, powerful and consistent strokes, every time, like a charm. I made the decision pretty much on the spot to buy one.

And now I come to do just that. Only it's never that simple, as well we all know. The trouble comes in the shape of the Speed Cobra. Every word I've read about this thing says it's great. Most of the comments on this site are overwhelmingly positive. Plus it's got an oversize foot plate, which would be perfect for my own fleshy oversized foot plates.

My question is, will the power, smoothness, and consistency of the Power Glide still be present in the Speed Cobra? With the SC am I getting a faster, sexed-up Power Glide (which is fine), or will the entire feel of the pedal be different?

My nearest drum store is a long way away, so while I appreciate that the best way to solve this is to go play them both, that's not exactly as easy as it sounds!

Thanks for any help!
    Premier Genista Maple - 22x18, 10x7, 12x8, 14x12, 16x16
    Tama 14x6.5 SLP Studio Maple Snare w/ Wood Hoops
    Mapex 10x5.5 Black Panther 'The Stinger' Snare

Zildjian Z Custom 19 Projection Crash
    Zildjian A Custom 18 EFX Crash
    Zildjian A Custom 6 Splash
    Sabian B8 Pro 18 Ozone Crash
    Sabian AAX 18 Stage Crash
    Sabian AAX 13 Fusion Hi Hats
    Paiste Signature 8 Splash
    Stagg SH 10 Splash
    Stagg SH 8 China Splash
    Wuhan 18 Crash/Ride
    Wuhan 14 China

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tama Power Glide - Speed Cobra comparison

I have a Power Glide.....and honestly, I'm not overly impressed. It's nice, but it really feels heavy to me. I've tried adjusting everything, but I can't find the settings that really feel comfortable to me. Maybe I'm just too used to it, but I also have a old cheap CB pedal that I use for practice. The kind with ZERO adjustment and a chain pull connected directly to a lever arm (as opposed to rolling over a cam profile). It's not as smooth, but I really love the feel of it.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I've got a single IC power glide and a Dbl. S.C. I like them both. I think the general consensus is, all cobras feel on the heavy side. Some will say otherwise, but it seems to me when this topic comes up, most players say they feel heavy. I will tell you this, I didn't had a hard time making the switch. The S.C. felt pretty good right away. Of course the more I played it, the more comfy it became. I wish I lived next door, you could come over and try mine. I'm probably not much help, but I wish you luck.

User Info Menu

Appreciate the comments. It's interesting you say that the IC is generally regarded as feeling heavy, it felt lighter underfoot than my DW5000. Or just slicker. I don't know. I don't mind a slightly heavy feel, I just want the smoothness and response that I liked about the IC. From what you're saying it sounds like the SC shares these qualities.

User Info Menu

I have never played a power glide but my S.C. is awesome. I love it and I have owned DW-9000, and an Axis and to me the SC blows em away. I have yet to read anything bad on them. I agree they may feel slightly heavy but it works perfectly with this whole set up.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I totally agree with MDK. I have also gone through a DW-9000 and a Axis, the SC runs rings around them.

I don't think it feels "heavy", but it probably depends on how you like your pedal set up.

User Info Menu

Okay, so although no one seems totally sure if the feel of the pedal is the same, I'm getting the impression that the SC is as good if not better (assuming you like the ICs in general, which I do), so I'm going to pull the trigger. I've given the GAS three days to subside and it's only gotten worse, so here we go!

As a last minute concern, I have been wondering about the lack of toe stop on the SC, but I'm not even sure that I put my toe against the one on my current pedal anyway, so maybe it won't even be an issue.

Now to figure out whether to sell the DW5000 or keep it as a spare/one for my son who I'm teaching to play!

Thanks for all the comments and help guys, much appreciated.
    Premier Genista Maple - 22x18, 10x7, 12x8, 14x12, 16x16
    Tama 14x6.5 SLP Studio Maple Snare w/ Wood Hoops
    Mapex 10x5.5 Black Panther 'The Stinger' Snare

Zildjian Z Custom 19 Projection Crash
    Zildjian A Custom 18 EFX Crash
    Zildjian A Custom 6 Splash
    Sabian B8 Pro 18 Ozone Crash
    Sabian AAX 18 Stage Crash
    Sabian AAX 13 Fusion Hi Hats
    Paiste Signature 8 Splash
    Stagg SH 10 Splash
    Stagg SH 8 China Splash
    Wuhan 18 Crash/Ride
    Wuhan 14 China

User Info Menu

I made the switch from a dw 5000 to a ic power glide after readng tons of positive reviews on different fourms abut the IC. I personally dont think the IC feels heavy in fact it feels lighter to me. havent tried the speed cobra but would imagine its awesome as well. I dont think you will be disapointed which ever one you get.

User Info Menu

So I got the Speed Cobra. I have to say, I'm impressed, can't fault the build quality at all, it looks and feels like a top-end piece of kit.

I won't lie though, it is going to take some getting used to I think. it's just soooo responsive that my foot doesn't seem to be reacting to it in the same way it did for the DW5000. But this isn't a problem with the pedal, rather a problem with me. The power, control and consistency are all just as good as I'd hoped, if not better. Thanks for all your advice on the subject!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cliffwest View Post
    I won't lie though, it is going to take some getting used to I think. it's just soooo responsive that my foot doesn't seem to be reacting to it in the same way it did for the DW5000. But this isn't a problem with the pedal, rather a problem with me. The power, control and consistency are all just as good as I'd hoped, if not better. Thanks for all your advice on the subject!
    FYI: if you play mostly "heel down," play the Tama for a week, then a Ludwig Speed King. You'll play the Ludwig even better!
    I have both just in case one gives up...
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cliffwest View Post
    So I got the Speed Cobra. I have to say, I'm impressed, can't fault the build quality at all, it looks and feels like a top-end piece of kit.

CW :
    A little over a year ago, I went out, and over a series of weeks, tried every top-shelf double pedal made available from every maker out there. DW, Pearl, and many others including Tama, make some very nice pedals these days.
    I was most impressed with the IC and the SC.
    I bought the SC because I was already used to playing long boards and they felt the best to me.
    So I've now been playing the SC double for 16 months and I would not be able to function without it............I love it.

Good choice............the more you play it, the more you love it.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)