Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Band practice time ?

User Info Menu

Default Band practice time ?

This mainly for all the play for fun and make a few extra bucks bands. How long and often (per week) does your band rehearse ? And what is your schedule like during that time ? How much time working on setlist, new material, discussion , ect...
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

Default Re: Band practice time ?

I auditioned and got the gig as drummer for 4 piece (2 guitars, bass and drums) classic rock cover band three weeks ago. We've been practicing once a week for about 3 hours, usually around 6:30pm on Wednesday nights.

They gave me a set list that has 57 songs on it and we start from the top and work our way down the list as best we can during the allotted time. To expedite my learning process faster, I introduced them to my metronome.

I had the guitar players play the groove for each song and I tapped out the tempo using the tap function on the metronome. I wrote down each meter on the set list after everyone discussed and agreed upon the speed at which the song should be played.

I use headphones and plug it into a headphone amp. Channel #1 has the metronome and channel #2 has the 1/4" feed from the mixing board. To the delight of my new bandmates, the arguing that went on about tempo is over.

What we charge for gigs may vary from venue to venue. The lowest rate would be $300 for 3 sets and no lights. $400 was deemed fair if we brought lights. In my town, if a cover band brought in $400 a gig, that would be considered a good night. That's $100 a piece and in my opinion, not much considering how much gas cost here in Cali.

We haven't yet discussed what the rate would be for weddings and corporate functions. We briefly went over the need for new band photos, bios for each member, a need to post to a website and a new demo CD.

One of the guitar players owns a large garage that's detached from the main house so we can practice without disturbing neighbors or the rest of the family. This garage also has a well built 24 track recording studio that includes a separate isolation room for the drum kit. The new demo will be cut at the practice studio and the band knows of a professional photographer to take the new band photo.

I hope this helps in some way. Good luck to you and I hope you guys do well.
    Last edited by late8; 03-05-2014 at 11:22 PM.

User Info Menu

about three hours a week, most of that time spent rehearsing known material though when the singer gets writing we devote more time to the new stuff initially. discussions are few accept when called for. the rest of the time is spent on 7th grade humor
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

User Info Menu

I'm currently in three active bands.

Number one is an acoustic trio that I play hand percussion in. We have been together almost three years. We are an Irish influenced roots band. We practice weekly for about two hours. We always go through at least one set. Then we will work on a few new tunes and maybe polish up an older one. We play out on average one night per week.

Number two is another acoustic trio, and again I play hand percussion. This one has been together three and a half years. We gig a couple of times per month in the winter months. We practice once per week at this time of the year polishing up the act and getting ready for when the weather breaks. When spring hits we will begin playing weekly on the covered outdoor deck of a local pub. We also book a few more gigs per month through the summer. When we are gigging regularly we only practice once per month if we can. We will try to add a new song or two then.

Number three is a classic rock/oldies band that I joined in December ten days before a gig as their long term drummer decided two weeks before a gig that he didn't want to play drums any more. We practice four times in the ten days before that first gig. I had to learn four 12 song sets and we pulled it off. Since then we have been practicing once per week for about three hours. We go through one set per week. We then polish up any songs that need polishing. Then we spend forty-five minutes to an hour getting vocal harmonies nailed. We have really tightened up as a band and have played two more gigs. It looks like this band is going to get seriously busy this summer as they are really filling up the schedule.

Number four is a blues band that I fill in regularly on bass or drums. I practice with them every once in a while when we know that I'll be subbing.

I'm retired from my day job and music is all I do these days. And can get hecktic in the summer, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

One band that I'm in rehearses for about 2 or 3 hours twice a week. We spend about 15 minutes each session working on new songs.

User Info Menu

2-3hrs once a week.

User Info Menu

band practices are three times a week 2 1/2 to 3hr's apiece. Last night it was just Will (bass) and me. Those are fun too. We'll do those about once a month.

Currently when not working on a set list for a show were nailing down 10 new songs for the new disc!
    Last edited by slinky; 03-06-2014 at 09:46 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgkikker View Post
    This mainly for all the play for fun and make a few extra bucks bands. How long and often (per week) does your band rehearse ? And what is your schedule like during that time ? How much time working on setlist, new material, discussion , ect...
    The band will get together once per week for three hours...........in addition to that I spend twice that amount of time practicing at home with the headphones. We are currently adding two new songs to the setlist..........we have a good club gig coming up wherein we will play two sets and each set will run about 75 minutes............two-thirds of the material we play is original music.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer5359 View Post
    Number three is a classic rock/oldies band that I joined in December ten days before a gig as their long term drummer decided two weeks before a gig that he didn't want to play drums any more. We practice four times in the ten days before that first gig. I had to learn four 12 song sets and we pulled it off.
    I'm retired from my day job and music is all I do these days. And can get hecktic in the summer, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
    I have also done that cramming for a month and pull off a 4-set gig...........lots of work............hard work.
    Congrats on the retirement and the multi-gigging...........sounds great to me.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

As seldom as possible, never if I had my way. I have no problem learning up any popular rock or country song with a few listens and if a technically difficult number, a sit down behind the kit by myself. If the other players can't learn tunes and make them gel on their own, I reserve no patience. I have more respect for vocal practice to put back ups together, I am not good enough to pull this off 100%, so sitting down and going over stuff is still needed. But for the life of me, I can't comprehend having to get together and practice stuff I have been playing live for 30 years already, if you don't know how to play after that long, maybe you should work on another line of work, "would you like fries with that sir?", might be the key to your future.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

I only play at church (no lugging around kits for me anymore! ).

We rehearse on Wednesday nights starting at 8:30pm and it's not uncommon for practices to last until 10:00-10:30pm.

Then on Sunday mornings, we got through our set again at 7:45am (usually takes about 15-20 minutes once everyone gets there), then we play two sets.

User Info Menu

We rehearsed once a week for about 2.5 hours. Most of that time was spent drinking beer and BSing. We hardly spent any time actually playing our songs. We'd play about 2 or 3 actual songs per practice session.

Once we learn the songs we're pretty much just there to hang out, which I enjoyed.

User Info Menu

Im in 3 bands and pretty much as with Signia Fan - if one of us comes up with a new tune , we call each other with the name of the tune and what key, then we download the tune, work it out on our individual instruments as well as the vocal harmonies , and we're good to go. A buddy of mine gets with his band once a week, and they rehearse for 3 hours...going over tunes they've been playing for 35 years to make sure they "have them down good" and when they play out, if you request a tune they didnt rehearse that week, they wont play it, even if its "sweet home alabama' or "call me the breeze" - or "cocaine". Can you imagine that??
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

7.30 -10pm once a week, we have a beer a chat for a good 45 min of that though.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

2 hours once a month. We go over new material. Been together a while. That's all that's necessary. I agree with SigniaFan, don't understand why it's necessary to get together so often for so long to go over stuff you should be able to do in your sleep.
    Last edited by inthpktplayer; 03-06-2014 at 01:35 PM.

User Info Menu

My band practices once a week for about 2 - 2 1/2 hrs. We throw in new songs that someone wants to add, and we'll work those out, but mostly it's going through all the songs we know, so that everyone has them down cold when the next gig is set (that's infrequent for us). We joke around with each other, but it's mostly about playing the songs (we love playing them), and making sure we keep the sound tight. Right now we're down to a three piece (drums, guitar, bass), but I think the most fun is when it's just the guitarist/vocalist and myself. That's when we seem to be the most creative, and when we really work out the harmonies.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I wish I was in a band that practiced!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    7.30 -10pm once a week, we have a beer a chat for a good 45 min of that though.
    ^This^

1964 Ludwig Downbeat Black Diamond Pearl (12,13,14,16,20)
    ALL of its Original Hardware

Ludwig Stainless Steel "Bop" (12,14,18)

Ludwig 1947 Standard Deluxe w/Art Gold hardware 3ply Maple 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM470 Auditorium 3ply Mahogany 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM908P Jazz Festival 3ply Mahogany 5.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1964 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1968 LM410 Super Sensitive 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1969 LM404 Acrolite 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1976 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1977 LM401 Lacquered Brass Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1978 LM405 NYC Bd of Ed Acrolite w/factory Imperial Lugs 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1984 LB552 75th Anniversary Engraved Bronze 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1990s LM404 Black Galaxy Acrolite 10 Lug w/Silver Monroe Keystone 5 x 14
    Ludwig 2010 LB417BT Engraved Black Beauty 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2017 LB402B COB Supraphonic 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2020 LC662KTC Hammered Copperphonic w/all Copper Hardware 6.5 x 14
    DW Collectors 3mm Cast Bell Brass 5.5 x 14
    DW/Craviotto 2000 Steam Bent Solid Cherry 5.5 x 14

Zildjian As and A Customs

User Info Menu

Rehearsal Wed., 3 hrs. with one band, going over parts(trickier parts), some old stuff to warm up and familiar songs just to play and enjoy them!
    The other, more classic rock band meets Fri. 3 hrs., jamming to stuff, re-playing whatever, depending on guitarist's beer intake, his wife's nagging and whether the new bassist is familiar with the songs.

Since both bands have drums already set up, no lugging anything around except occasionally pedals, cymbals.
    Last edited by slinglander; 03-06-2014 at 10:06 PM. Reason: added comments
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Thanks folks. Looks like everyone hits it about 3 hours once a week on average. And yes there are songs that we should be able to sleepwalk through. I'm getting ready to join another band but just not sure which one yet. My current band is in yet another transistion and I really want to get to playing out. We are lucky if we can get 2 hours in once a week. We are getting a new bass player and he is a go getter. Has his own studio and has been playing out for eons. I really appreciate all the input.
    Oh and Kay Gee I want to feel for you man but it's hard since you live in paradise.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post

I use headphones and plug it into a headphone amp. Channel #1 has the metronome and channel #2 has the 1/4" feed from the mixing board. To the delight of my new bandmates, the arguing that went on about tempo is over.
    Sounds great, whats a headphone amp? I would like to start doing something like this.

BTW we practice once a week 3 hrs, we play a lot of known classic rock as well but a lot of the songs that normally just fade we seem to always have trouble ending so we are working on that. I think it's sad as someone should be able to give a look and we all end it but that does not seem to work with this band for some reason.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Friday (Tonight) regular band practice for like 5 hours. Only 2 hour actually playing and
    3 hours discussing gas and milk prices and how there's nothing we can do about it.

Saturday my wife on the bass, our keyboard player Mark and I are heading out
    to jam with a new group for just a fun, switch off, wing it, open mic night at a
    house with people we have never meet before thanks Craigslist!

Sunday afternoon an open mic night (or afternoon I guess) at a club just a
    couple minutes away. I'm gonna need some more Advil...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    band practices are three times a week 2 1/2 to 3hr's apiece.
    That is what it takes to have to have a tight and right great band! I will SO be bringing this
    up AGAIN (note the caps) to our guys tonight. MuckRaker Rules! I got the CD to prove it!
    Last edited by Ray on the Drums; 03-07-2014 at 06:59 AM.

User Info Menu

band practices are three times a week 2 1/2 to 3hr's apiece.
    Wow! I couldn't do that. Boring. Way too much. I guess if it's fun, it's all good. Whatever works for you. We're really tight (so we're told) on 2 hours a month.

User Info Menu

band practices are three times a week 2 1/2 to 3hr's apiece. Last night it was just Will (bass) and me. Those are fun too. We'll do those about once a month.

Currently when not working on a set list for a show were nailing down 10 new songs for the new disc!
    I'd quit. LOL. I don't have time for that.

User Info Menu

Nobody here would have tolerated our rehearsals.