Thread: Dave Matthews Band w/ Carter Beauford

User Info Menu

Default Dave Matthews Band w/ Carter Beauford

One of my favorite tunes by Dave Matthews band featuring Carter on drums and Jeff Coffin on Sax.

http://youtu.be/2gIlLOowyP0
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Dave Matthews Band w/ Carter Beauford

Cool! I've played with Jeff. He's also a great guy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Cool! I've played with Jeff. He's also a great guy.
    He is without a doubt a very extremely talented player - and of course, Carter is one of those rare talents - he plays at a level few ever reach and he is always smiling and most times, chewing gum. Carters playing sometimes seems to me to be "off the cuff" and yet its spot on the money and so tasteful. He amazes me~!
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wright View Post
    Carter... - he plays at a level few ever reach
    I don't agree with that statement but I don't wish to discredit him. He's certainly a great drummer. But there are thousands of drummers that can play on that level and beyond.

User Info Menu

Well, maybe he isnt at such a high level - but he is certainly "talented" - which might be a better description .

User Info Menu

I've got a couple of DMB's CDs. I think Carter pulls off some interesting stuff. He's certainly better than I'll ever be.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wright View Post
    Well, maybe he isnt at such a high level - but he is certainly "talented" - which might be a better description .
    Indeed, he's a great drummer. Very talented, very consistent and a solid groove. Not to mention a real nice cat.

User Info Menu

All great drummers have some little things that are all theres. That's why we as drummers are always striving to learn and be better. Carter has some amazing speed, and his bass work at times is flawless. Just my 2 cents

User Info Menu

I think that sometimes we throw the word "great" around for drummers/musicians that, in reality, are really good but wouldn't fall into the "great" category.

When I see drummers from Ringo to Tommy Lee called "great drummers", makes me sit back and think "What, are you kidding me".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I think that sometimes we throw the word "great" around for drummers/musicians that, in reality, are really good but wouldn't fall into the "great" category.

When I see drummers from Ringo to Tommy Lee called "great drummers", makes me sit back and think "What, are you kidding me".
    I've lurked a long time but wanted to sign up to give Carter some props.

Watch these two solos - this is not great drumming?

Two Step - 7/7/12 - http://youtu.be/0kInAc_ukRw?t=2h49m18s

LW - 12/14/02 - http://youtu.be/qDCT8O6kVWs?t=1h16m40s

User Info Menu

I think what I like about Carter Beauford is not really his chops (which he definitely has). What attracts me to his playing style is his approach to the drums. I remember walking through some sort of clothing store back in the early/mid-90s and hearing "What Would You Say" and it stopping me dead in my tracks. I just sat there and listened to Carter through those cheap, department store ceiling speakers and I said out loud to myself, "Who is THAT?"

Carter Beauford really influenced my playing, and I'm thankful for him and the Dave Matthews band.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamTolbert View Post
    I've lurked a long time but wanted to sign up to give Carter some props.

Watch these two solos - this is not great drumming?

Two Step - 7/7/12 - http://youtu.be/0kInAc_ukRw?t=2h49m18s

LW - 12/14/02 - http://youtu.be/qDCT8O6kVWs?t=1h16m40s
    Who said he wasn't a great drummer?

User Info Menu

Who said he wasn't a great drummer?

I did.

The guy is good. Great, I don't think so.

User Info Menu

I did.

The guy is good. Great, I don't think so.
    Oh, OK. Well we'll have to disagree on that one. I think he's great but of course everything is subjective.

User Info Menu

Oh, OK. Well we'll have to disagree on that one. I think he's great but of course everything is subjective.

We agree to disagree, but, I've seen numerous drummers on u-tube that are as good as, and some that were better (IMHO).

The word "great" gets thrown around so often that it ceases to have any meaning.

User Info Menu

We agree to disagree, but, I've seen numerous drummers on u-tube that are as good as, and some that were better (IMHO).

The word "great" gets thrown around so often that it ceases to have any meaning.
    Well I looked up the definition and it reads as follows:

"of an extent, amount, or intensity considerably above the normal or average"

I think Carter fits that definition. Is he the most technical? No. Are there hundreds of drummers that have more chops? Yes. Do some have a greater feel? Yes. But he is considerably above average in my opinion.

User Info Menu

I don't know.....I'd say he's great. I'm with Porkpie; I like his approach and style.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I saw carter live recently and he blew me completely away. His approach, groove and feel are absoulutely amazing. I suggest you watch his "Under the table and drumming"video. It's amazing, and the way he plays is absolutely brilliant. I think he's now my favorite drummer.
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.