Thread: On time-keeping

User Info Menu

Default On time-keeping

Hi folks!

I was recently asked to learn the song White Room (Cream) for an audition for a classic rock cover band. I just couldn't get the timing down. I finally came to the conclusion that Ginger Baker's timing is way off on this song. I am far from being a great drummer, but it's got me wondering.

I guess I'm looking for some of you to try playing to this song and give me some feedback. Is it me or Ginger.

John

User Info Menu

Default Re: On time-keeping

They just weren't as pedantic about robotic-like timekeeping in those days. Groove and Feel were far more important, (and still are IMO).

Mitch Mitchell of the Jimi Hendirx Experience is another drummer that moved around the beat too.

What's important here is not so much you or your playing, but listening to the other musicians and you ALL getting a groove going with this song.

If you can play the song from start to finish without too many errors, the punters listening won't bat an eyelid. They'll be into it.

Great tune by the way.

My 2 cents worth.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

What problems are you having? Is it the transition between the 5/4 sections and the 4/4? Is it the numerous fills GB played? Listen to another version and see if that helps.

Here's a version that is pretty spot on.

http://youtu.be/LkXjLA9Y48w

User Info Menu

Gingers original version has a light element of swing in the 4/4 parts that gets heavier during the tom fills. It's a bit awkward when you mix it with the straight forwardness of the rhythms the guitar and bass are playing.

Ginger had a heavy jazz back ground...it really shows in some of the swinging tom work he did on this song in my opinion.

Great Tune. We have it in our set list and play it every night usually. I play it with the swing-ness like GB, but throw more crashes on the 4's much like the live version above.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

It might be you. Just keep working at it. Really is not a difficult tune.
    Last edited by inthpktplayer; 03-12-2014 at 07:28 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm with ITPP on this 1. It really isn't a hard song to play.

User Info Menu

FYI: I used to count the 10 count transition out loud for the rest of the band to hear,clicking the sticks together for the final 3.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

To try and follow beat for beat would be challenging but if you get the main groove, you'll do fine.

User Info Menu

Thanks so much for your input! It is greatly appreciated! I agree that it is not that difficult a song to play, but it's a bear trying to practice along to the original recording!

John

User Info Menu

Just because a couple of these guys knew how to play "White Room by Cream"
    long before FM radio doesn't make it any easier for you does it?

Ya may try an' crank it up an' air drum it out a few times! That could very well
    be the song that started air drumming in the first place! Fun song! Good luck!
    Last edited by Ray on the Drums; 03-12-2014 at 05:09 PM.

User Info Menu

I always found Ginger's rythum and style to be rather odd. I like it, but it's certainly different. Seems to me like a cross between Jazz and some type of traditional African drumming.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I always found "Sunshine of your Love" to have a turned around beat.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I always found "Sunshine of your Love" to have a turned around beat.

all the best...
    We do Sunshine, a little heavier and roll right into White Room. People love it.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

Ya, air drumming. That will get you there.

User Info Menu

White Room by Cream is a pretty good song. I forgot how interesting it is.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    White Room by Cream is a pretty good song. I forgot how interesting it is.
    Pretty cool how some things stand the test of time.

User Info Menu

Cream, as a band, was really pretty different and interesting. When I was about 5, my oldest brother had a huge album collection. I used to sit and listen to the entire Disraeli Gears album over and over. It was one of my favorites....along with various Frank Zappa. No wonder I turned out the way I did. Monte Python didn't help, either.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

When Cream did their Re-Union concert at Royal Albert Hall - Ginger is shown a lot and of course the audio is really good and this might be a better "version" for you to play. Just sayin ~~~

http://youtu.be/60Mskdg5_HA
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jmastrodimos View Post
    Thanks so much for your input! It is greatly appreciated! I agree that it is not that difficult a song to play, but it's a bear trying to practice along to the original recording!

John
    That really makes a lot of sense John. At first I was thinking what the others were, that it's really not a difficult song. However, I can see that trying to practice along with the original recording could be tough. I guess my only suggestion would be to try to increase cut up the bass frequencies on the EQ while you are playing (either through a PA or headphones) and try to follow the bass guitar as opposed to the drums. This may help.

Best of luck!

User Info Menu

The opening section (repeated later) is written in 5.
    If you are not used to odd meter, that is the hardest part.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Thanks porkpieguy! You summed it up for me!