Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drum Rudiments and chops help

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Rudiments and chops help

Quote Originally Posted by Drummerboy13b View Post
    I see drummers like Luke Holland who's only a few years older than me and he is pretty good! (but he plays sloppy)
    I wish I were 1/10th as sloppy

User Info Menu

Yea I'm 30 and I just watch a 8 year old put me to shame

User Info Menu

So, is that 8 yr old getting all your gigs? Does he win all the competitions you're in? Does he know all the songs you know? Is your band considering replacing you with him? Is he even in a band? Will the "drum kit police" take away your drums since you feel threatened by an 8 yr old drummer?
    No. So keep playing and stay away from YouTube wunderkinder!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

1) Don't overly concern yourself with other drummers. What they can and cannot do, because, for whatever they can do, I'll guarantee you there's a lot they can't. I've seen some super fast drummers that, when they have to slow it down, can't do squat.

2) No matter how good you become, some one will come up who will be better.

I've put my heart and soul in to drumming for 57 years and I'm not a great drummer, but, I've done OK for myself just being "pretty good".

Being versatile will get you more gigs than being flashy. That I know for a fact. Twirling sticks, outside of the flash, does absolutely nothing to make you a better drummer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Twirling sticks, outside of the flash, does absolutely nothing to make you a better drummer.
    Oh good!

User Info Menu

Twirling sticks, outside of the flash, does absolutely nothing to make you a better drummer.
    ...........but the chicks dig it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    ...........but the chicks dig it!

Hey Butch, the "chicks" dug what I did and I never threw a stick in the air or twirled 1.

User Info Menu

My response is similar to others remarks: Get a really good teacher, if at all possible. If not, YouTube has a number of sites that "teach drumming". Same for drum tuning...Youtube has a number of cats who can show you how to tune your drum kit.
    Just sayin ~~~
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Hey Butch, the "chicks" dug what I did and I never threw a stick in the air or twirled 1.
    But I need all the help I can get!

User Info Menu

Look, I get that. I wasn't asking for a magical formula.. I know practice is key.. What I am asking however, is practice WHAT???? lol
    Practice the rudaments practice to all different music. Some modern jazz books are great for stick control. Practice on a pad pillow to build wrists and always remember when you get bored just stop and just let loose doesn't matter weather its good or bad Just have fun. Drumming is about learning, because it is an instrument that we never stop learning. But we all started because drums are fun. Sometimes a break away for couple of days also helps when you get to that block and we all do. Just my 2 cents

User Info Menu

Look, I get that. I wasn't asking for a magical formula.. I know practice is key.. What I am asking however, is practice WHAT???? lol
    Anything out of this book, over and over and over and over and over...........

User Info Menu

Remember also, no matter how much you practice you may just never be brilliant at it (as with anything in life) if you don't have "it".

For example, kids start playing sports, get coached, practice in their spare time, play in a school team or a local team, want to be a professional sportsman, dream of it, set their hearts on it. Chances are they'll never be good enough. How many kids play sports compared to the number who become pros? Not many. Sometimes you have to be satisfied with just being good, otherwise you'll tear yourself apart trying to strive for an unattainable dream.

I think Rick says it best:
    I've put my heart and soul in to drumming for 57 years and I'm not a great drummer, but, I've done OK for myself just being "pretty good".
    I'm not saying don't try. Just be realistic. Not everyone achieves brilliance, no matter how much they want it.
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Here, this will give you something to shoot for. Kid is 12 years old:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    I wish I were 1/10th as sloppy
    I've heard people call Mitch Mitchell sloppy. I will take that any day over a machine-gun perfect player with no feel.
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySticks View Post
    I've heard people call Mitch Mitchell sloppy. I will take that any day over a machine-gun perfect player with no feel.
    Yup, that was the point I was trying to make. If I could be a fraction of how "sloppy" Mitch Mitchell was I'd die a happy man.

User Info Menu

True words about worrying about other drummers. I really believe I am as good or better than a lot of drummers I see live, but lo and behold, they have the gig, I don't. So much more to just being a good player. I have kept gigs where the band was secretly thinking of replacing me with a better player, but opted not because of my personality. Networking and knowing how to get your self known in the small medium and large community is a lot of work and just as important as your playing ability.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Maybe some of us would benefit from the fact that you can be so young and still play like crazy! I mean these YouTube kids don't have big muscles yet they play really well. I doubt they've spent years with Moeller, etc. or attended Berklee. So we just need to find their secret! Finger power and bounce control must be everything!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/