Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My new (to me) MIJ Tama Starclassic Birch

User Info Menu

Default Re: My new (to me) MIJ Tama Starclassic Birch

[QUOTE=MDK;584434]
    Quote Originally Posted by jdizzle0209 View Post

Thats impressive that they sent you new grommets that actually work, when I had my issue with a brand new SS last year I could not even find a contact in the USA? Who did you contact for that?

I don't doubt they probably sound good but I never found out 1st hand what they sound like with good rims, and good heads that did not touch the grommets.
    I get it man, we all have certain expectaions with stuff we buy and they're all subjective to the individual. With my grommets, Im a member on the Tama forum and I PM'd Bill@Tama and all he asked for was how many I needed and what my shipping address is. With these newer grommets they're much thinner and I found that if I flipped the new ones upside down they worked even better and there's zero contact with after market heads. I have mixed feelings on the seam for the wraps on Tamas but overall I think it's a good idea. I guess for me I'd prefer the seam cut rather than a wrap bump that sticks out. And if its a lacquer kit you'll avoid it all together. I have the jazz shell pack and I have a aluminum snare I'm using with it now and it has such a great tone, almost a mix of vintage and modern tone if that makes any sense.

User Info Menu

Dang...call the cops, you stole that kit man!! Congrats....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PeterBowman View Post
    just curious....besides the hardware and finish, what is the difference between the Starclassic birch and the Silverstars?
    These Starclassic 100% birch kits were made in Japan with the finest attention paid to every detail using 6 plies of premium Japanese birch. The birch used to make the Silverstars isn't from the same place nor is it the same quality of birch. It is a lower grade of birch and in some case the woods used in mid-level sets aren't even he same species of maple/birch/mahogany as what is used in the high end sets that they produce. It is the same as comparing an all maple Pdp Concept maple kit (which sound nice) to an all maple DW Collectors maple kit using North American Rock Maple. The higher quality of wood yields a better an more pure sounding drum. Most of the major companies have a mid-level set that sounds nice but uses lower quality wood. Those sets may sound good, but they aren't on the same level as High-end drums that use the best materials and have the best workmanship.

The shell thicknesses are also different with the Starclassic kit having a really thin 6ply 6mm shell and the Silverstars have a slightly thicker 7ply 7mm shell. The Starclassics have better hardware with die-cast hoops, as opposed to the 1.6 triple flanged hoops of the Silverstars. I've heard both of these kits and the aren't on the same level at all, although the Silverstars are nice drums with a nice sound.

Yamaha Stage Custom<Yamaha Recording Cst/Birch Cst Absolute
    PDP Concept Maple< DW Performance/Design/Collectors
    Gretsch Catalina Maple<Gretsch Renown/USA Custom
    Tama Superstar/Silverstar<Tama Starclassic
    Pearl Vision Maple or Birch<Pearl Masters Maple or Birch
    DDrum Dominion Maple<Ddrum Dios Maple
    Sonor Select Force Birch, etc.<Sonor SQ2 Birch
    Mapex Meridian Maple or Birch<Mapex Orion/Black Panther/Saturn

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Dang...call the cops, you stole that kit man!! Congrats....
    But I don't feel bad about this crime! lol
    Last edited by dirtysticks; 03-21-2014 at 08:27 PM.
    -Tama Granstar II (12x11, 16x16, 22x16)
    -Yamaha 7000 Series (12x8, 13x9, 16x16 22x18)
    -Crush Sublime E3 (12x8, 16x14, 24x17)
    -Pearl Mixed Series kit (8x7, 10x8, 15x13, 20x14)
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -HHG Purpleheart/Cherry Stave 7x14
    -HHG Red Birch Stave 7x14
    -Pearl Masters MCX 5.5x14
    -Pearl Steel (Pre-Sensitone) 6.5x14
    -Pearl Vintage Professional Series 6.5x14
    -Tama Imperialstar Seamless Steel 6.5x14
    -Tama Soundworks Maple 6.5x14
    -Premier (African Mahogany with Beech Re-rings) 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Wuhan Traditional Cymbals
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

$400! I think I'm gonna sick. I disagree with the B/B being an upgrade too. Birch after maple in my opinion. Not entirely sold on the blended kits.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    $400! I think I'm gonna sick. I disagree with the B/B being an upgrade too. Birch after maple in my opinion. Not entirely sold on the blended kits.
    Yeah don't see it as an upgrade and that's what I told him. I tuned his drums, messed around with them and I showed that they sounded almost identical, but the B/B had slightly more bottom end and he was convinved that it was a big upgrade because of the bubinga. I was more than glad to take them off his hands.

I can hear audiblie difference between an all birch and an all bubinga or all maple, but I hear less of a difference with the B/B. Maybe there would be more difference if the bubinga made up more than just two plies, but IMHO, they sound almost the same minus the B/B having a slightly lower note when equipped with the same heads.
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Wuhan Traditional Cymbals
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

I like the B/B, they sound great. I just think that every time you add an element to a drum shell that it will come at some cost. Like adding mahogany to maple to enhance the lows. Well you sacrifice some highs to do that, and I don't think maple has so many highs that it can afford to lose some. Birch does, and marrying it with bubinga makes more sense to me. Maybe the best hybrid shell would be birch,maple,mahogany (or bubinga). Add mahogany to maple to enhance lows, then add birch to bring back the lost highs. Wait, that's my idea! I said it first.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    I like the B/B, they sound great. I just think that every time you add an element to a drum shell that it will come at some cost. Like adding mahogany to maple to enhance the lows. Well you sacrifice some highs to do that, and I don't think maple has so many highs that it can afford to lose some. Birch does, and marrying it with bubinga makes more sense to me. Maybe the best hybrid shell would be birch,maple,mahogany (or bubinga). Add mahogany to maple to enhance lows, then add birch to bring back the lost highs. Wait, that's my idea! I said it first.
    That's kind of similar to the Pearl Reference kits, except the have birch on higher toms to accentuate the highs, an all maple 12" for warmth right in the middle, and added mahogany to the floors and kick for better depth.
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14