Thread: numb fingers

User Info Menu

Question numb fingers

any of the drummers out there ever had the problem with thier thumb and finers going numb on them. if so what did you do about it. I use a soft grip
    on my right stick sort of like one on a hammer. it seems to help.

User Info Menu

thats never happen to me but maybe you`re gripping too tight if you can still hold on to them but someone can knock your sticks out of your hands then your grip is good i had a problem with gripping too tight with my left hand a while back and got really bad wrist pains
    Oh tell me where your freedom lies
    The street are fields that never die.
    Deliver me from reasons why
    You`d rather cry
    I`d rather fly.

User Info Menu

yeah if ur gettin hurt then it may be a technique issue...your sticks should be very loose and bounce freely with pretty much only ur thumb and first finger touching the stick

User Info Menu

Pain maybe, but not going numb. I would check that out with a doctor if it persists.

User Info Menu

I think your grip is too tight. You should just kinda bounce your stick between your fingers. thats one thing i used to have a problem with until my drum teacher corrected me.
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer
    Pain maybe, but not going numb. I would check that out with a doctor if it persists.
    I agree you don't want to let bad technique or any other problem mess your hands up cos it can cause serious problems permanently which might mess up more than just your drumming.

User Info Menu

I saw this thread, and thought I would put out a caution. If you are having a problem with numbness in your thumb, index finger, and thumb side of the middle finger, it would be indicating Carpel Tunnel Syndrome. It is a wrist condition that might be aggravated by continued drumming. If you wake up in the morning with numbness in your hands, and have to shake them to get it to go away, again, the most likely diagnosis is Carpel Tunnel Syndrome.

I anyone experiences this, please see a medical doctor, or a chiropractor.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

sounds like carpel tunnel maybe? *reads pb* lol what he said.

There are simple operations and some hand excersizes that can help it these days.

Start of just rotating your wrists to losen them up. Then hold your hand back a bit and push forward. Hold for 10 seconds. Swap. And keep going. Repeating over and over. Then do it the other way . Pushing your hand forward instead of back. Its hard to explain. Exercises my dad gave to me to do coz i get them some times.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I experienced that before and I made a thread about it too. I looked up some of those hand exercises back when this was happening and it just went away after doing them for about a week. Sometimes I still get some pain in my wrist but its pretty rare and I think it might be Tendinitis instead of Carpal Tunnel.

User Info Menu

hm carpal tunnel just restricts the blood flow. making it numb. Actual pain would be something else in the wrist. Cartalidge problem more than likely?

My mums a nurse. God i know alot :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

My mums a nurse too! But i dont know alot cos she takes care of old peple.