Thread: Help Newbie Identify Tama Snare Drum

User Info Menu

Default Help Newbie Identify Tama Snare Drum

I bought a Tama Snare on impulse on Friday for £45 but have no idea what model it is.

Its a Maple (I think) 14 x 5.5". The heads were shot but everything else is good. I fitted an Evans G1 batter I already had and a Meazzi Reso (shop old stock for £5 - very thin), possibly not the best heads but I'll think of them when my tuning ability improves. It sounds great to me - much better than the one with my Pearl Forum starter kit.

There is a serial number on the Tama badge - 151646 and has 10 tuning lugs per side with plain chromed hardware, plain varnished wood finish and Starclassic 20 strand snare. Don't think its a Starclassic though as the strainer mechanism doesn't appear 'high end' and there is no Starclassic badge on the drum - just a Tama badge with vent hole in centre. The badge is a kind of very patina'd bronze colour (almost brown) and American Football/Rugby Ball shape. The strainer is better than basic and works smoothly but doesn't seem top quality. It doesn't appear in any current catalogue I can find but I don't think its particularly old - it seems in good condition with very faint pitting to the chromed hardware which has cleaned up easily.

Sorry about the lack of photo but my camera has developed a sense of humor and I haven't yet figured out how to post photographs.

So far I'm £50 into it which I am happy with but I would appreciate it if you could help me identify it. Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Help Newbie Identify Tama Snare Drum

Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    Thanks - I've been searching under Tama Snare Drums and wading thru masses of sales poop. This will be much faster!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    Had a good look through the catalogues. It looks like its a 7 ply 6mm Artwood Maple Model AM255SMP from 2003 (but the Tama badge is 2002 - think this is ok as the shell was changed from 6 ply 8mm to the newer version then so they were probably using up the last of the badges from old stock).

The only thing that doesn't check out is the strainer but looking at the fasteners inside the drum the strainer ones are different from the butt. Think that's why the strainer is a bit cheesy compared to the rest of the drum - its an aftermarket non Tama replacement. Think I'll keep an eye out for a genuine Strainer/butt assembly.

Thanks for the help. It took a while even when I was looking in the right place. Glad I'm not trying to find parts for an old one.