Thread: Need info on Ludwig drum kit

User Info Menu

Default Need info on Ludwig drum kit

I am refurbishing a Ludwig Accent CS 5 pc. kit with rims mounts for a friend. Is this pretty much a low end kit? It has made in China all over it. The hardware seems decent. Comments?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need info on Ludwig drum kit

I have played my Accent CS for about 4 years now. Did a few upgrades such as heads, added wood rims on the base and ditched the kik pedal for a vintage Speed King. Dollar for dollar, I would put it up against many of the kits that are considered better and more expensive. In fact, the guys I play with say it is one of the better sounding sets they have heard.

As with many kits, it's all about how it's tuned and played. I used to worry about what people think about having an "Accent" drumset. I got over that pretty quick. Play what ya got,and have fun doing it. Thats the secret of having a great drum set, in my mind, at least.

As far as the hardware that came with the kit, it is far superior to anything that I had available to me back in the 60's and 70's, so I am extremely pleased with it.
    "You can never legislate stupidity, because there is no power in this world that can prevent it."-My Dad after watching his golf partner trying to hit a ball through a grove of trees.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info. It's not mine. It belongs to the school in which I teach/volunteer. It's a non profit inner city music school for underprivileged students. None of the teachers are paid and the students pay a very nominal fee to attend. The kit was donated and I'm working on making it usable. This will be our third kit (the other two are a Tama and a Sound Percussion, both in good shape) and we are very lucky to have them.

User Info Menu

Accent is the entry-level shell pack from Ludwig..........a multi-ply poplar wood shell.
    Even though this is an entry-level drum, there are many out there that are much worse.

The Ludwig pecking order (generally) looks like this :

Entry level :
    Accent
    Element

Mid-level :
    Epic
    Club Date
    Keystone

Top Shelf :
    Vistalite
    Classic Maple
    Legacy
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I think an Accent would work great for a music school.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I had an Accent CS a few years ago and the Accent is cheaper woods and wrap with 8 lug bass but the Accent CS is all birch (9 ply?) and lacquer finish, pretty decent kit actually with rims mounts 10 lug bass and the hardware is pretty heavy duty double braced

User Info Menu

Decent little kit, taken care of it should give years of service.

User Info Menu

Thats was my first kit..and I still have it. It is a great sounding kit with proper tuning and good heads.
    Ludwig 8 piece
    Paiste Sigs
    Mapex Mars Pro 5 piece

User Info Menu

The Accent CS is birch. Pretty nice set. They tune up well, much more then the price point would have you think. Good, consistent bearing edges. Decent build quality. I'd gig one without hesitation. And, I'm a vintage snob....

User Info Menu

In a way, they remind me of the old Ludwig Rockers (the hardware and pedals at least). An ex-student of mine had bought a Rocker second hand, I went to his place once to show him how to tune it and I was quite surprised how well they tuned and sounded, even with stock heads. Not an outstanding looking kit (his was a red wrap) but looks are secondary to sound and performance. I think he had some nice old Sabians with it too. For a beginner, he didn't score too badly.

The only thing is that I think the hi-hat tripod's legs are fixed and can't swivel around so you can't place a double pedal next to the hi-hat footboard (assuming the Accent's hi-hat stand is the same as the old Rocker stand). Other than that, I give it the thumbs up.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8