Thread: Oops! What should I have looked for?

User Info Menu

Default Oops! What should I have looked for?

Story and a question...

So I was visiting a city about two hours away from where I live and decided to visit a music store I had never been to. While I was there I picked up a new hi-hat (which is awesome, btw) and I purchased a side snare. I was looking at a picollo snare, but when I walked over and played the 10 x 5.5 Gretsch Catalina Maple Snare it made a sound that I instantly knew I wanted to add to my set.

The store employee pulled the items I wanted from stock and I was just about to leave when he offered to tune my new snare for me. I can tune toms with ease, but snares never seem to be as easy for me, so I gladly said yes. A few minutes later he hands me my new snare, it didn't sound anything like the one on display sounding like. In the end, instead of waiting for him to tune the snare I had just bought, I brought home the floor model since it was already tuned and appeared to be in the exact same condition as the one I had just bought. I got it home, mounted it on my rack, played for about five minutes and...

So far it looks like the lesson learned is "don't buy the floor model if you can help it." However my question is this: How could I have avoided this, are there any signs I could/should have looked for to see that the head was ready to split?

PS- While in the store and on my rack the head did not have any dents and only a few small marks on it, it appeared to be in great shape like the rest of the drum.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Oops! What should I have looked for?

Gretsch has always put single ply heads on their new drums............and, at times, I have questioned whether they were cheaper "made for Gretsch" models.
    They sound good because they are sensitive, but they don't hold up in the rock context in which I play.
    I would not be disappointed in that head-break; I would have put a coated Emp on there before I played it anyway.

When you change the batter out, check to make sure you like the snare-side reso as well.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I've never seen a what appears to be a pretty new head do that. I've seen them come away from the metal ring but not this. That said, heads are disposable and relatively cheap to replace so I wouldn't beat yourself up about this.

I've bought plenty of floor models in the past. Most music stores are pretty small so their floor is also the stockroom so whatever you buy in often on display.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

were you hitting hard? it'll happen with single ply's. Kind of like maple vs hickory sticks.

Here's mine from the other night. I will never again say to myself ("it'll work") and buy a single ply for my snare again or maple sticks.

RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Glad to see I'm not the only one. I didn't think I was hitting it too hard, but all of my other batters are Evens Hydraulics or Onyxes so I guess it's all relative. I was going to replace it soon (since all of my other heads are black) but still I didnt expect it to split within the first 10 minutes of play. Thank you all.
    Last edited by Jarhead; 03-20-2014 at 10:30 AM.

User Info Menu

I play single ply heads (and I play heavy metal). I've only ever broken a kick head (2 ply EMAD) and a reso snare head. Never a snare or tom batter.

User Info Menu

I only use single plys on my snares and Im a heavy hitter. I wear them out before I break them.
    It was either a faulty head or one tuned to loose.

User Info Menu

By any chance was it cold?
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I play single ply heads (and I play heavy metal). I've only ever broken a kick head (2 ply EMAD) and a reso snare head. Never a snare or tom batter.

How do you break a reso head?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Every snare reso I've seen broken was cut from the snare wires............usually because they were not installed correctly in the first place.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    By any chance was it cold?
    Nope, it was in the heated section of my basement.

User Info Menu

The only thing I would have done differently is ask the guy tuning if he could make it sound just like the floor model before opting to buy a "new but used" drum.

Factory heads, as mentioned previously, are sometimes cheaper versions of much-better heads.

User Info Menu

I wish I knew.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    were you hitting hard? it'll happen with single ply's. Kind of like maple vs hickory sticks.

Here's mine from the other night. I will never again say to myself ("it'll work") and buy a single ply for my snare again or maple sticks.

Why not maple sticks, I thought they were lighter than hickory, or have I got this backwards. Sorry I have a lot to learn.

User Info Menu

Maple is lighter.

User Info Menu

A maple stick is probably great for jazz but if you play off the rim a lot and play with some force they will be flying in pieces all over the place.

When this happened I was using my normal hickory sticks. I did have it cranked pretty high this (single ply) so maybe that had something to do with it or maybe just a defective head, idk

Last edited by slinky; 03-21-2014 at 11:54 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Not sure either but I did this for the first time last year:

In this instance, I was rehearsing with my band going over a song that requires heavy rim-shots. I think this put more pressure on the bottom hoop and then onto the reso head thus making it pop. This caused the mylar to come away from the metal ring of the head.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

Its a head $10- $25 depending on kind not big deal if anything you will get a better sound out of it by replacing it with a head that suits your style more.
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HolyChina View Post
    Its a head $10- $25 depending on kind not big deal if anything you will get a better sound out of it by replacing it with a head that suits your style more.
    I've already bought an Evans Onyx for it, though I wont have time to put it on until next month. I liked the sound I was getting out of the original head so I hope I don't lose too much of the sustain that the drum had when I bought it. If I do, I'll simply try another head. If I end up trying a third head on this snare I'll go ahead and type up a review of it, comparing the sounds I get out of the different heads. It has a really unique sound that makes it a fun snare to keep on the side.

User Info Menu

I think the lesson to be learned here is: replace stock heads as soon as possible (if not sooner). Stocks are just notoriously bad, cheap heads. I have only heard of one or two people here on DC who play stock heads longer than about a day, unless they have to.
    Yamaha Stage Custom 6 pc
    Assorted Zildjian
    Gibraltar hardware
    Zildjian laminate sticks
    LOTS of snares
    AQUARIAN heads

User Info Menu

loose snare wire probably nicked it.
    Yamaha Stage Custom 6 pc
    Assorted Zildjian
    Gibraltar hardware
    Zildjian laminate sticks
    LOTS of snares
    AQUARIAN heads

User Info Menu

Look at the bright side, now you can put a coated PS3 on it

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

stock heads for most cases are there just to hold the drum together and to be played in store ...

User Info Menu

+1 on what Itchie said.
    "I don’t think a drummer should have to show off to get noticed. You’re like the conductor of a train. You keep the train on the tracks – let everybody else worry about everything else.” -Nathan Followill.

Grear List
    Cymbals: Zildjian K
    15" Light Hi Hats
    14" Hi Hats
    18" Dark Thin Crash
    19" Dark Thin Crash
    22" Light Ride
    Drum Kit: Gretsch Catalina Maple
    12/14/20
    Snare: Ludwig
    Epic 14"x5.5 Soon to be upgraded.

Keep the Peace!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    stock heads for most cases are there just to hold the drum together and to be played in store ...
    Lesson learned!

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    Look at the bright side, now you can put a coated PS3 on it
    It's not a PS3, but it's coated and it matches my other heads!!

I know my setup's a little weird, but so far I'm liking it there!