Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for solid snares

User Info Menu

Default Re: Looking for solid snares

I suppose you could pour complete shells too, using a mold, machine the bearing edges, etc., but how would that resonate? Maybe shells benefit from being "bent?"
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by animal View Post
    How is it not solid. Its one ply. If you question the seam, joint, and reference this to be the factor which deems it to NOT be a solid shell, then you're most likely assuming this guy is looking for a shell carved from a tree. I highly DOUBT thats what he is looking for. Again, MCD Percussion. Anyone at NAMM would agree
    Thats exacty what he's looking for.

User Info Menu

Haaaa. looking back, overseeing my last assumption, you're right northern. This guy is looking for a caveman special. That screams instability but, hey its his choice and money. I know there is and are, no musical properties to GLUE, but lets be honest, 90% of drums manufactured, recorded and performed with have glue joints.

The scarf joint in the bent shell is very minimal compared to the additional Plys/joint, in a traditional drum. They all sound good but I must say, the solid shell series from MCD is amazing. They didn't make Modern Drummer and best sound at NAMM for nothing.

just saying.

User Info Menu

I can see the attraction of a one piece drum made from a tree, but from a manufacturing stand point it would be an awful wasteful way to make drums especially from rare hardwoods, because of coring out of the centers. OTOH if the centers could be used for smaller diameter drums, I suppose it could work.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Yep solid shell cored from a tree trunk,

Glue is a dampening agent and no good for transmitting sound, but I think it's inconsequential to what we are talking about here.

I do industrial imaging, with xray / ultrasonics / magnetic imaging and so forth

The group in qld use iron wood, apparently incredibly stable, the drums are made to order

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I can see the attraction of a one piece drum made from a tree, but from a manufacturing stand point it would be an awful wasteful way to make drums especially from rare hardwoods, because of coring out of the centers. OTOH if the centers could be used for smaller diameter drums, I suppose it could work.

all the best...
    That is exactly how they do it. An entire set ends up being built out of the same log..

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass