Thread: Working on bass drum pedal speed

User Info Menu

Default Working on bass drum pedal speed

I saw a video on bass drum pedal speed. It shows how you slide your foot from the top of the pedal to the center of the pedal. I worked on it tonight for five minutes slowly and could feel it in my leg. Would love to get my speed up on the bass pedal like some of the pro drummers. I will let you all know how I am progressing.

Keep drumming

Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Working on bass drum pedal speed

Just my opinion (based on decades of playing) but nothing beats practice, practice and, of course, practice. I would experiment with heel and toe angles and transitions to see what works best for you. Other people's videos and "advice" may work for them and not for you. Seek your own path. Additionally, some people never develop "fast feet". Remember drummer's worked for decades without double pedal systems (or even double bass set ups).
    Steve
    "When I can match Buddy Rich, lick for lick, I will get a rack."
    Ludwig Super Classic

User Info Menu

I learned a lick that required a quick double lick on a single. No one told me to do the sliding thing; it just sort of happened.

User Info Menu

When I work on fast doubles(and I still don't have it down entirely well) I use more of a swivel technique. My right foot swivels to the right as I'm playing the second note. I kind of happened on it by accident. Hope that made sense.

Sort of like this:

Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Youtube also have this video done by derek roddy with some bass drum exercises

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    When I work on fast doubles(and I still don't have it down entirely well) I use more of a swivel technique. My right foot swivels to the right as I'm playing the second note. I kind of happened on it by accident. Hope that made sense.

Sort of like this:

I'm certainly no expert and each of us finds things that work best for us, but, that looks like a lot of wasted motion.

User Info Menu

Well i love the bass technique and i use the slide down tech. which works perfectly to suit in with my rudiments.