Thread: The evolution of JimmyJon's drumset

User Info Menu

Default The evolution of JimmyJon's drumset

Sorry if it doesn't warrant a thread I just thought it was interesting, and that I'd share. This so far is all within 7 months of buying the kit and starting to learn to play drums.

I think I have a problem with buying drum stuff or generally just improving my drum kit for the most part. I have ADHD when it comes to this crap, not to mention ADHD for real. Let me know what you think.

I bought the kit back in September;

Immediately bought moon gels and a stick holder.

A bit of time has passed here, cracked both the stock cymbals.. Went and bought the APX Crash and DW2000 Double Pedal, along with the new stand. After awhile I discovered the wonders of ebay, bought the DW5000 Hi Hat stand, XS20 Rock Ride and AA Rock Hats (Rock because I was scared of cracking everything).

APX Crash cracked... Bought an AA Rock Crash to replace it, also found a Stagg DH Splash on sale half off so I bought that then eventually bought the Gibraltar arm to be able to actually use it. Plus new Remo Emperor batter heads. Still haven't gotten around to switching out the Reso heads though.

Nothing replaced here, only additions. Bought me an AAX Dark Crash, a new stand along with a tom holder.

Continued....

User Info Menu

Default Re: The evolution of JimmyJon's drumset

Moved around the kit attempting to condense everything a bit, this didn't last long the hi hat was way too awkward to use that high. More additions- bought the HHX Splash, along with another cymbal arm.

Finally, caught up to today, no real additions besides the cowbell (bought it for 5 bucks when I first got the kit, didn't really serve any purpose then, same situation now), new evans bass head patch and vator slick nut. Moved stuff back around to the original tom holders.

I think in total I've put in somewhere between 1400-1500 into the kit and that's all for now. As for what I'd like to do in the future- I'd like to get rid of the HHX Splash.. it's too fragile and expensive for my hard-hitting antics, hard to play it without being paranoid of it cracking and not to mention it's too quiet, doesn't cut through my other cymbals. Also going to replace the useless cowbell with a tambourine soon along with replacing the XS20 Rock Ride with something a little better, the sustain and cutting on it it a bit too much, plus it sounds terrible when crashed. Also, not sure but considering it, maybe replace the straight stand that came with my kit and the heavy duty westbury cymbal stand for new ones, the vater slick nuts don't fit on it so this way, when I replace those, I can buy a few of those slicknuts and completely replace the wingnuts. Then finally, at some point, I'll replace the DW2000 kick pedals, not anytime soon, they still work me fine, but I recently tried out a set of iron cobras and the smoothness was just amazing.
    Last edited by JimmyJonCricket; 03-25-2014 at 05:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Nice looking kit. What do you think you'll get next?

User Info Menu

Thanks for changing the toms' angle! Looked too much like a CL set up!LOL.
    ....but how are you breaking those cymbals? Hitting them edge-on? Don't.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Thanks for changing the toms' angle! Looked too much like a CL set up!LOL.
    ....but how are you breaking those cymbals? Hitting them edge-on? Don't.
    For sure, I don't think they're too bad now.

For the stock cymbals, they were super thin and I hit hard and right through them, same with the apx crash, just lack of technique I guess. I think I have my form down now though.. You should see the apx crash now, it's awful, cracked it, tried to cut out the crack, hit it some more, crack came out of that so I kept cutting, cracks started forming in other ends of the cymbal, kept cutting it, and repeat over and over.. it's pretty much garbage now, although I'm keeping it around so when I find someone they can cut it down properly to like a splash-y type cymbal, even if it sounds bad it'll be more useful than it is now.

User Info Menu

The newest set up looks great JimmyJon! As far as the HHX splash, (or any splash for that matter) they shouldn't have to 'compete' with your other crashes. They compliment and should accent the lower volume stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    The newest set up looks great JimmyJon! As far as the HHX splash, (or any splash for that matter) they shouldn't have to 'compete' with your other crashes. They compliment and should accent the lower volume stuff.
    Thanks, I think it feels the most natural to play too out of the other arrangements. I also tinked out some other issues, the dropclutch no longer unscrews mid-playing, the snare doesn't ring when I hit the toms or bass drum and I'm going to tune up the toms right now. And good advice, I'll try and stick it around a bit longer for that reason and see if my thoughts change.

User Info Menu

Cool. An evolutionary G.A.S. induced documentary.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Nice kit jimmy
    "I don’t think a drummer should have to show off to get noticed. You’re like the conductor of a train. You keep the train on the tracks – let everybody else worry about everything else.” -Nathan Followill.

Grear List
    Cymbals: Zildjian K
    15" Light Hi Hats
    14" Hi Hats
    18" Dark Thin Crash
    19" Dark Thin Crash
    22" Light Ride
    Drum Kit: Gretsch Catalina Maple
    12/14/20
    Snare: Ludwig
    Epic 14"x5.5 Soon to be upgraded.

Keep the Peace!

User Info Menu

Nice kit and looks like you have invested lots of money to get there. Maybe you should turn the kit away from the wall it may sound better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    Cool. An evolutionary G.A.S. induced documentary.
    Thanks, I think? Not sure what G.A.S. means lol.

Quote Originally Posted by DrummingAllTheWayHome View Post
    Nice kit jimmy
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Nice kit and looks like you have invested lots of money to get there. Maybe you should turn the kit away from the wall it may sound better.
    Thanks, and you think? I may try that, depends how much space it gives me, I don't want to be backed against the wall.

Also, happened a little sooner than I thought, but I got a Sabian 20" Vault Ride, I may have gotten a little burned on pricing (140), I didn't see these ebay ads offering it brand new for 180 until I got home.. Teaches me once again to stop buying cymbals in the store.. but I do like it a lot better than the XS20.

User Info Menu

Jimmy ... simply put: G.A.S. spelled out is: Gear Acquisition Syndrome. And its evident that you have contacted this malady...there is no known cure for it and thankfully, its not known to cause infected individuals loss of limb or life...although Im sure at some point in time, G.A.S. might have been partially responsible for a divorce or two. So Welcome to our group, as we are also infected with G.A.S. You are not alone~! Just dont forget to post "Pics" of your "acquistions"

I just have one question: What brand of drums are they and which model are they or if thats not known...what type of wood are they made from?
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Jimmy Jon, with your sandwich enterprise, how in the world do you find time for drums?

User Info Menu

sweet
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wright View Post
    Jimmy ... simply put: G.A.S. spelled out is: Gear Acquisition Syndrome. And its evident that you have contacted this malady...there is no known cure for it and thankfully, its not known to cause infected individuals loss of limb or life...although Im sure at some point in time, G.A.S. might have been partially responsible for a divorce or two. So Welcome to our group, as we are also infected with G.A.S. You are not alone~! Just dont forget to post "Pics" of your "acquistions"

I just have one question: What brand of drums are they and which model are they or if thats not known...what type of wood are they made from?
    Ahh, this forum's just a friendly bunch hmm. I can see the divorce thing, although I'm not quite at that age, my parents are getting pretty pissed about my spending.

Mapex Tornado, just a beginner kit, I have no ear for shells and woods yet but the description says "8-ply, 7.2mm all-poplar shells". Cost me a pretty penny, I probably should have joined up here and asked about kits.. I'm just a walking corpse of impulsive buys when it comes to this it seems. Had I known a bit more, saving up for a Meridan kit would have been nice.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Jimmy Jon, with your sandwich enterprise, how in the world do you find time for drums?
    I didn't even know it was a restaurant in the states until a few weeks ago, Jimmy Jon just has that smooth off the tongue say to it. My name's not even Jimmy, or Jon.. or Cricket if you want to be a tad dense about it.

Quote Originally Posted by CB700 View Post
    sweet
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyJonCricket View Post
    My name's not even Jimmy, or Jon.. or Cricket if you want to be a tad dense about it.
    If I was you, I would say the same thing. How else would you protect your identity.